Celebrity Summit or Jewel of the Seas

toes_in_sand

We are looking to book a cruise in April and debating between the Summit or the Jewel.

2 sisters, mid to late 40's. Previously sailed on MSC (Divina and Poesia), Princess and Carnival. Our preference is MSC over Princess or Carnival.

Looking to expand our cruise lines, both itineraries appeal to us, and price point is almost the same. The all inclusive 123 go promo with Celebrity does not appeal to us, as we are not huge drinkers. Both cruises are offering a $100.00 OBC.

Since both cruises are port intensive, the night life scene is not important. Good food, and good company is the most important.

Both itineraries have great ports so either one will be fine.

Any opinions?

We haven't yet been on the Jewel (going in May), but have been on its sister ship, the Radiance, and on the Summit twice. Good company is pretty much luck and what you make of the social options on any ship. Good food is subjective, but we didn't find much difference between the two lines except in the buffet. RCI buffets run rings around those on Celebrity in our opinion - mostly due to the layout and organization. Strictly on the basis of the ships themselves, we'd choose the Jewel over the Summit. The Radiance class ships are light and open, with wonderful views of the sea in many public areas (the Schooner bar is our all-time favorite) and we liked them much better than the Summit, You'd probably enjoy either one, but in this case I'd pick the Jewel.

I have been on both sister ships - the Radiance and the Millennium, and they both have pros and cons.

I agree that the buffet on RCI is far superior, but in someways I like the Millennium better. For me it absolutely comes down to whether it's a warm weather cruise or not, and if you are a sundeck person because I hated the pooldeck on the Radiance (small pool, not enough space or hot tubs, uncomfortable loungers and music blaring on a big screen). On the Millennium the pool deck is far larger, with beautiful loungers and padded chairs, 4 large hot tubs, and overall a much nicer atmosphere.

Everything else for us was on par, and both ships are beautiful, you can't go wrong with either.

We have traveled on both ships and love them both. Despite being 'not huge' drinkers, I think you'll find the 123 promo has the Summit as the winner.

Enjoy the fresh squeezed OJ, the free water bottles to take off the ship, the yummy coffees and the convenience of not signing slips.

On the Summit I tried a few drinks I never would have splurged for if I'd had to pay. Tend to stick with what I know if paying for it. I loved the more 'all inclusive feel' of having he package.

Hi,

I have cruised aboard both the Celebrity Summit and the Jewel of the Seas. They are both very nice ships that I would recommend. I am approximately your age (turned 50 earlier this year). This is a difficult decision. I prefer the design of the Jewel of the Seas with the expansive windows. However, I prefer the dining room and alternative dining options (love Bistro on Five) on the Summit. Also, I think the atmosphere on the Summit is more refined. I would probably choose the Summit, but this is a close call.

Chuck

We have been on both the Jewel and Summit and love them both. For us the 123 Go deal has us pick the Summit for sure, and we now just like Celebrity a bit more than RCI. Even if you don't drink much, if the pricing is the same (which we have often found it is), as other posters have said, the bottled water, juice, etc. is a nice feature, without any bills to sign. Also, as an FYI, we were on the Summit at the start of November and the padded lounge chairs are gone. They have replaced them with new, non-padded chairs. I found the new chairs nice (no broken straps, etc.), but I missed the arm rests of the old chairs.

Thanks for the responses. Either way we can not go wrong.

As for the 123 promo, I'm a TA so booking the cruise at a net rate, which backs out all the promos. I'm playing with both the cruise fare on the commercial booking and weighing out the promos and looking as the back end where it just covers the bare bones cruise fare.

i think it is going to come down to the ports of call.