Do you exercise while crusing?

kandj05

So why can't you exercise at home?

No good reason :cool:

Too busy, long commute to work, gym in town is way out of the way, don't like getting sweaty on lunch hour and having to shower on short lunch break, too tired when I get home etc.

I tried running outdoors a few years ago and loved it but our cold winters did me in with bad knee pain. Ideally I would like to get finished space in the basement for a workout area, then exercise first thing in the morning. It's on the to do list but cruising keeps coming first. :p

We also get off the ship the minute after it is cleared in each port, go for a long run, come back on board and start our day. Great way to explore the ports. I research safe running trails before we go.

Where do you get the trail information? We wouldn't be running but a fast paced walk on the trails would be great!

One of the things I'm looking forward to on my upcoming cruises is working out. I plan to join the gym to continue my weight loss after cheating a bit on our upcoming vacation. With basically 3 days at sea, I can't wait to enjoy the facilities and look at the water while exercising. :D

I was training for a half-marathon in 2012 and hit the jogging track and the treadmills. Let me just say that treadmill on a ship adds a whole new dimension to the workout! My 4 miles felt more like 14! Apparently I chose to work out during the choppiest seas of that cruise.

I exercise on every type of vacation. One of my requirements when booking a hotel is that it have a gym. When we've rented a house I've needed a gym nearby that allowed weekly memberships. On cruise ships I hit the gym and often take classes like spin and then do weights.

Whatever I do besides my normal exercise routine helps offset the extra calories I eat/drink. I usually come home actually down a few lbs.

I am exactly the same. I refuse to even stay in a hotel that does not have a gym, and I often phone the hotel directly to see what is in the gym if they have one! :o

Always. On our FOS cruise last year, instead of power walking on the track, where the wind can make things challenging, I walked laps on the promenade deck. All the way around on deck 4, up the stairs and around the bow on 5. As it turns out, MANY people had the same idea.

According to my GPS, it was .53 miles per lap. I use a Fit Bit and would put 10,000 steps in each morning, watching the sunrise every day at sea. As an added bonus, using the interior stairs down and back from our cabin and during the day added 20 flights. It's a surprisingly effective workout.

Until this past cruise, no, but because I'd lost quite a bit of weight before the cruise I wanted to be sure to keep on track. It was a good wake up call to work out and weigh every morning. :eek:

Got home last night and when I weighed this morning no gain!

Where do you get the trail information? We wouldn't be running but a fast paced walk on the trails would be great!

We do a search on MapmyRun's website. If the route takes us someplace interesting, done.

If not, we look at it for possible changes.

One more amusing recent run- on turnaround day for our most recent B2B- Ft Lauderdale isn't a great place to just get off and go- so we did our runs on the track. Due to delays in changing rooms and getting off and back on- we didn't start until about 12:30 (we planned on 11). By the time we finished, it went from being by ourselves to having most of the ship wandering around as they got on board. More than a few made comments of our running.

But all of that keeps me even for a cruise- weight wise.

I work out at the gym here at home 3 or 4 times a week! When I am on a cruise working out is anpother one of those things I just don't due for the week! On a cruise vacation throw all caution to the wind by eating what I want, drinking what I want, etc for the week and then I get back to the work out stuff when I get back home. :cool: