Help! Penthouse 3 vs Concierge A2?

twohappytravelers

Hi there,

I understand price and size (to some degree*) but, is PH (3) really that much better for the money when you take out the larger size advantage?

*(How are the bathrooms on A2?)

Can someone who has stayed in both give me some insight? Of course if it were up to me, I'd go first class all the way but, we do have a budget and it would please my husband fine to be in an A2.

Thanks!

Hi there,

I understand price and size (to some degree*) but, is PH (3) really that much better for the money when you take out the larger size advantage?

*(How are the bathrooms on A2?)

Can someone who has stayed in both give me some insight? Of course if it were up to me, I'd go first class all the way but, we do have a budget and it would please my husband fine to be in an A2.

Thanks!

I have been in both and I just LOVE the PH3. Advantages over an A2 are a walk in closet, very spacious. The bathroom is larger, you can dine in room from any of the specialty restaurants at a small table at the foot of your bed. You have a butler in PH. After giving it much thought I upgraded to a PH3 from a B2 for our upcoming Riviera T/A. Yes it is much more money but I went for it anyway. We no longer do concierge level over time we learned they were not really worth the extra $, but the PH is worth it. Go for it:D

You don't say which ship you are looking at. The R (Smaller) ships are different from the O class.

That being said we have sailed on both classes of ship and in Concierge and Penthouse.

Once we experienced Penthouse there was no going back. The size does make a difference and if you are on a cruise with several sea days and like to stay in the cabin a bit, the full size couch as opposed to a love seat and the addition of an extra comfortable chair make a great deal of difference, at least to us, as we tend to stay in a bit and read, etc.

We have also become spoiled with a full breakfast in the cabin each morning along with the general butler service.

The bigger shower, over the tub is also a great perk on the R ships.

For the price difference we are happy spending our heir's money!!:D

+1, Ed!

That is our feeling as well. For me, the extra space is what makes the PH worth the difference in fare. Yes, the bathroom is larger (and I for one like the tub option). The shower in the lower categories (I'm talking "R" ships here) is minimal in size. (We haven't been on a PH on an "O" ship yet but we will be in April and I can address that issue better then.)

But we also like the additional space in the PH on the "R" ships in the main room as well. In the lower categories if one of you wants to go from the living area to the door, and the other person wants to go from the door to the living area, then one of you has to wait. In the PH, you can both cross at the same time.

Does that happen a lot? Maybe not, but it makes a difference to me that I'm willing to pay for.

As to the "concierge" services -- well, we have learned to use a butler when we have one, but he isn't the reason we book the higher category. We can do very well without the butler, but we cannot do without the extra space. (Okay, we can do without it -- we HAVE! -- but we'd rather not!)

Not everyone agrees about the value of a PH over an A, which is fortunate since there is a lot of demand for the higher suites (as there is for the lowest suites).

Mura

It is so very hard to revert to a lesser cabin having been in a PH, especially on a non port intensive itinerary. Mura, you are going to be so impressed with the "O" PH. I think you are on the Lima to NYC???? How nice is that to be in a PH? I prefer PH3 because it does not have the overhang from Deck 12.

It is so very hard to revert to a lesser cabin having been in a PH, especially on a non port intensive itinerary. Mura, you are going to be so impressed with the "O" PH. I think you are on the Lima to NYC???? How nice is that to be in a PH? I prefer PH3 because it does not have the overhang from Deck 12.

I'm sure you are right, but -- and it's a big but! -- our three MARINA cruises have been twice in a VS and once in an aft OC ... If we were coming from a PH on an "R" ship, I know I'd love the PH on MARINA!

(Don't get me wrong, I'm sure we'll be very happy in the PH! I think I WILL miss the liquor set-up, though. OTOH, the difference in fare cost will allow us to bring on as much liquor as we want! Which in our case isn't all that much ...)

I recall the time when we were a last minute upsell to an OS on REGATTA many years ago. We loved the extra space. (In fact we needed it since I was using a wheelchair at the time but we hadn't known that would be the case when we booked the upsell. I just wanted to see what life "up there" was like.)

Then we visited friends for cocktails in a PH on that cruise and my first feeling was, "it's so small". I'd never felt that way when we were booked in a PH!

I will adjust to the PH on MARINA and be very happy, I know.

Yes, we're in a PH3 for the Lima-NYC cruise but we ARE on the wait list for a higher category. (I doubt that will happen.) But it's good to know you prefer the PH3 because of the overhang issue.

Mura

P.S. For those of you who think I'm an elitist -- well, I really am not. But our first Marina cruise came as a temptation from O to switch cruises, and our reward was to be in a VS. That was our downfall ... It DOES become difficult for some of us, at least, to go back to the usual category once you've been in a higher category. And that can be as true of people who normally book inside cabins and get upgraded to an OV as it is of people who usually take an "A" or "PH", and get upgraded.

And further, for anyone who cares, I capitalize the ships' names because I worked for a maritime law firm for 25 years and we always capitalized a ship's name ...

Thanks everyone,

We have made a decision based on a compromise. We a picked a different date and itinerary (2 days shorter). We will be traveling on the Marina for the June 17th Baltic cruise. We got the last PH.

I am so happy. I just love traveling in style, what can I say?

Warm regards!

Thanks everyone,

We have made a decision based on a compromise. We a picked a different date and itinerary (2 days shorter). We will be traveling on the Marina for the June 17th Baltic cruise. We got the last PH.

I am so happy. I just love traveling in style, what can I say?

Warm regards!

Good for you. You will love the cabin and the itinerary:D

I have been in both and I just LOVE the PH3. Advantages over an A2 are a walk in closet, very spacious. The bathroom is larger, you can dine in room from any of the specialty restaurants at a small table at the foot of your bed. You have a butler in PH. After giving it much thought I upgraded to a PH3 from a B2 for our upcoming Riviera T/A. Yes it is much more money but I went for it anyway. We no longer do concierge level over time we learned they were not really worth the extra $, but the PH is worth it. Go for it:D

We can come to your cabin and have "munchies" brought by the butler!!! :p We loved the PH3 we had...but did not pay the "full price" as we got an upgrade at the last minute...we did have to pay but not as much as the original price difference!!! That extra room is really nice!!! Good for you two!!! LuAnn

We can come to your cabin and have "munchies" brought by the butler!!! :p We loved the PH3 we had...but did not pay the "full price" as we got an upgrade at the last minute...we did have to pay but not as much as the original price difference!!! That extra room is really nice!!! Good for you two!!! LuAnn

There was no chance for upsell on this sailing. We are darn lucky we were able to secure a PH at all. We felt this being a T/A, it warranted the extra expense. We are thrilled:D