Which itinerary you prefer between Silhouette and Nieuw Amsterdam

tdk1938

Hi All,

I'm looking into either HAL Nieuw Amsterdam or Celebrity Silhouette for January 2016 Western Carib cruise. I was on Nieuw Amsterdam two years ago for Eastern Caribbean route and X Century on Western Carib for 5 day cruise that called Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. I enjoy both cruise lines and itinerary is going to be the tie breaker. They both go to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. So it's between HMC and Key West vs Labadee and Falmouth. Which ports you prefer and why.

I posted the same question on HAL forum also.

TIA,

HAL Nieuw Amsterdam

ITINERARY

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Sun Jan 10 Fort Lauderdale, FL

Mon Jan 11 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Tue Jan 12 At Sea

Wed Jan 13 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

Thu Jan 14 Cozumel, Mexico

Fri Jan 15 At Sea

Sat Jan 16 Key West, FL

Sun Jan 17 Fort Lauderdale, FL

Celebrity Silhouette

ITINERARY

Mon Jan 11 At Sea

Tue Jan 12 Cozumel, Mexico

Thu Jan 14 Falmouth, Jamaica

Fri Jan 15 Labadee, Haiti

Sat Jan 15 At sea

I would say the silhouette. I much prefer Jamaica to key west. More of a caribbean feel plus there's more to do in terms of excursions and beaches. The other 2 are equal in terms of private islands. I've been to Labadee but not HMC so I can't compare. Celebrity's newer ships are very elegant and modern which is nice.

Good luck.

You really cannot go wrong with either ship or itinerary!! I would base it on "the overall deal" -- price & amenities (drink package, on-board credit, etc)

We will be on Nieuw Amsterdam on that same itinerary in a few months, and we chose it because of Key West. We have been on 3 of the S-Class ships (Solstice, Silhouette & Reflection) doing various itineraries in the Caribbean, and like those ships, but found some areas nearly empty & others packed.

I believe Nieuw Amsterdam is a smaller ship than Silhouette (gross tons) and HAL carries fewer passengers. But the S-class ships are quite nice.

Cabins on Nieuw Amst are better than on Silhouette -- more comfortable & better storage layout & perhaps bigger balconies. Lately we have booked both ships with FREE Drink packages on both Nieuw Amsterdam & Reflection, a feature we LOVE!

The overall age of the people on Silhouette was younger than on HAL ships....that doesn't matter to us as we are in early 70s, but it may make a difference to you!!

Good luck with your decision.....

Edited by Cruisin Kay D

I have not been on either of these ships or Itineraries...

But for me I'd be comparing a lot of things:

Celebrity S-Class Ships are GORGEOUS - and there is that EXCELLENT service. The current Booking Offers are very sweet (Oceanview & above). The downside for me would be the Silhouette has had some mechanical issues of late (Dry Dock scheduled for January 4, 2015).

Neuw Amsterdam has a good reputation... But HAL is more for Smokers & an Older Demographic than I like.

You asked tho based on Itinerary...

That alone and I would be more prone to go with HAL. Like others I am not that comfy with stops in Jamaica or Haiti (scheduled for The Silhouette). I am however a Big Fan of Key West... One of my Favourite spots in the Continental USA... All the familiarity of the States (Language, Food, Money, Shopping & Safety) with a big pinch of Caribbean / Cuban Flavour and interesting History & Culture.

So HAL wins out in this contest by a slim margin.

Cheers!

Ps... This topic would have been ideal for a Poll, betting that a lot of CC Members would have been more willing to vote than leave a comment

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I prefer Key West to Falmouth (points to HAL), but I prefer Celebrity cruise line. Jamaica offers nice excursions (Dunn's River Falls, Martha Brae rafting, Mystic Mountain, horseback beach rides, plantation tours). Key West is a really fun place to wander around (dining, drinking, live music, Hemingway House, shopping, museums).

Edited by royalcruz

Thank you for the answers. I would love to cruise on S class ship since Solstice came in service. I prefer the Nieuw Amsterdam itinerary for this cruise. We've been to Ochio Rios, climbed Dunn River Fall and visited lush rain forest with very capable tour guide/driver. But I think once is enough (just like sky diving).

But to my surprise, DW enjoyed DRF and wouldn't mind going back! :eek:

I read mixed review about Labadee for being aggressive/pushy vendors there just like Jamaica.

If we cruise on January 2016, I will be 64 years old during this cruise and I am blend in with the crowd on either ship. :)

As it happens, we did both of these this year, Silhouette in April and Nieuw Amsterdam last month. Half Moon Cay blows Labadee out of the water, no comparison. The beach is absolutely gorgeous and available to everyone, unlike Labadee that has the best parts blocked off for those who are willing to pay extra for one of the cabanas and better food. Half Moon Cay has cabanas for rental but the beach can be used by all.

Falmouth was just okay, we did zip lining and the travel to that site was pretty typical of most of Jamaica beyond the resorts - lots of squalor. Key West is a place we have always enjoyed - completely different from other areas of Florida, lots of history, great food, bars and entertainment (people watching is the best!) not to mention chocolate dipped frozen key lime pie on a stick.

We are both 63 and enjoy both lines....whichever you decide have a wonderful time!

Hi All,

I'm looking into either HAL Nieuw Amsterdam or Celebrity Silhouette for January 2016 Western Carib cruise. I was on Nieuw Amsterdam two years ago for Eastern Caribbean route and X Century on Western Carib for 5 day cruise that called Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. I enjoy both cruise lines and itinerary is going to be the tie breaker. They both go to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. So it's between HMC and Key West vs Labadee and Falmouth. Which ports you prefer and why.

I posted the same question on HAL forum also.

TIA,

HAL Nieuw Amsterdam

ITINERARY

Mon Jan 11 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Tue Jan 12 At Sea

Thu Jan 14 Cozumel, Mexico

Fri Jan 15 At Sea

Sat Jan 16 Key West, FL

Celebrity Silhouette

ITINERARY

Mon Jan 11 At Sea

Tue Jan 12 Cozumel, Mexico

Thu Jan 14 Falmouth, Jamaica

Fri Jan 15 Labadee, Haiti

Sat Jan 15 At sea

You did not mention prices. I always book early and find HAL to be significantly more expensive than Celebrity. However, HAL does sometimes offer great bargains closer to the cruise.

Key West would be one plus for HAL.

Thank you for the answers. I would love to cruise on S class ship since Solstice came in service. I prefer the Nieuw Amsterdam itinerary for this cruise. We've been to Ochio Rios, climbed Dunn River Fall and visited lush rain forest with very capable tour guide/driver. But I think once is enough (just like sky diving).

But to my surprise, DW enjoyed DRF and wouldn't mind going back! :eek:

I read mixed review about Labadee for being aggressive/pushy vendors there just like Jamaica.

If we cruise on January 2016, I will be 64 years old during this cruise and I am blend in with the crowd on either ship. :)

In defense of the Labadee vendors, I found them beyond charming. As I was going back to the ship I waved to one vendor I had dealt with and thirty people waved back...