How would you deal with an NCL travel agent?

buddyjo143

I will be general (unless you want specifics :rolleyes:).

My husband had a number of conversations with the travel agent at NCL. He agreed on the phone to do something specific for our booking and then never did.

He has since not answered emails and not responded to phone calls. We have now been told by supervisor/s that there are no notes in our reservation and they can't do anything to address our request.

What would you do? Does NCL even care? I tend to think they don't care about customer retention since there will always be new customers to come along and replace any loyal customers.

I will be general (unless you want specifics :rolleyes:).

My husband had a number of conversations with the travel agent at NCL. He agreed on the phone to do something specific for our booking and then never did.

He has since not answered emails and not responded to phone calls. We have now been told by supervisor/s that there are no notes in our reservation and they can't do anything to address our request.

What would you do? Does NCL even care? I tend to think they don't care about customer retention since there will always be new customers to come along and replace any loyal customers.

If you can cancel without penalty do so and rebook with an online agency. You will probably get a better deal anyway. If not...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Did you ask the supervisor to put notes in since the employee won't? And what exact why can't do anything about it? The only thing that popped in my head that can't possibly honor because it might be completely booked out are rooms for the Handicap.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

An agent that works directly for NCL.

I know it is not fair to compare what NCL does with the other cruise company that we sail with, but, when the fare that we booked, for the category dropped dramatically, my husband called and asked what they could do. That other cruise line gives you an OBC.

Well, the NCL agent said the best they could do was a $120 OBC. Fine. It wasn't the total difference but it was something. Well, apparently he never documented the call and has not answered any email or phone call since.

NCL supervisors tell us we can upgrade to a mini-suite since our spa balcony is sold out but the cost difference is way more than the price drop. We wanted the spa balcony because of the spa access which amounts to about $130/pp if we bought the week long pass so no, we don't want to upgrade to a suite.

The whole experience just left a bad taste since he didn't document it and now won't call us back.

I know we can go to another cruise line and we do, but NCL has a good product for some of the itineraries that we like.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by buddyjo143

... Does NCL even care? I tend to think they don't care about customer retention since there will always be new customers to come along and replace any loyal customers.

So, it appears that you booked a cruise.

You agreed with the price.

You and NCL agreed to the deal.

Now, because they are running a sale to move the remaining cabins, you are upset. You no longer are happy with the price you agreed to. You are no longer happy with the agreement you made.

If the price had gone up, you would not even be posting a comment or complaining. So, it is really not the price at all.

But, now you think poorly of the company.

Well......

P.S. There is a reason they are no longer communicating with you. Your demands are unreasonable.

Sure, everyone wants the best deal. But, hey, it does not always happen.

WOW!

Edited by garycarla

We have an NCL cruise coming up in a couple of weeks. When the price dropped before final payment we spoke to our online TA who in turn spoke to NCL and we were given the price difference as a refund to our credit card, not as onboard credit.

When the second price drop happened it was after final payment. NCL gives no onboard credit or refunds after final payment, they will upgrade you though...so that is what we did, took the upgrade. The price of our cruise is now far more than we originallly paid so there will be no further upgrades for us. We are just very much looking forward to our New Year cruise.

Cancel your reservation and book with another cruise line.

It also seems that u have your mind made up anyway.

The cruise is on Saturday so we won't cancel.

I'm sorry but I don't know what I have my mind made up about? I was wondering if anyone else had success with getting their agent to follow through with what they said. It is just poor customer service to not respond anymore.

An agent that works directly for NCL.

I know it is not fair to compare what NCL does with the other cruise company that we sail with, but, when the fare that we booked, for the category dropped dramatically, my husband called and asked what they could do. That other cruise line gives you an OBC.

Well, the NCL agent said the best they could do was a $120 OBC. Fine. It wasn't the total difference but it was something. Well, apparently he never documented the call and has not answered any email or phone call since.

NCL supervisors tell us we can upgrade to a mini-suite since our spa balcony is sold out but the cost difference is way more than the price drop. We wanted the spa balcony because of the spa access which amounts to about $130/pp if we bought the week long pass so no, we don't want to upgrade to a suite.

The whole experience just left a bad taste since he didn't document it and now won't call us back.

I know we can go to another cruise line and we do, but NCL has a good product for some of the itineraries that we like.

Thanks for the input.

This advice applies to any cruise line, hotel, airline, Amtrak, etc bookings - Make the agent send you the email confirmation while you are on the phone with them so there is no misunderstanding or errors at all. Not to condemned you but your error was believing that agent was going to send you a confirmation once you are off the phone - that's a foolish and in your case costly plus lost opportunity mistake; if you don't get a email from them in 30 minutes-1 hour of the telephone conversation, call them again to make them send it to you.

Sorry this happen to you; your story is a cautionary tale in having too much trust in agents in doing things in a timely matter with specific limited rooms. (Yes, spa, handicapped, aft, and large balcony rooms are extremely limited on NCL)

I also had a NCL agent 'promise' me extra OBC but it didn't happen. I was on the phone with a NCL agent ordering something and she indicated that there was a sale going on and I was also entitled to some OBC that she would put on my account.

After I got off the phone I looked at my reservation a bit later and it was not there; I re-called NCL and was told the same thing 'it is not noted on your reservation'. They had offered it to me, I did not try to negotiate anything out of what I paid for the cruise; this was after final payment too. Never got it.

I also called another time when the price of my cruise dropped quite a bit; I asked if there was anything they do for someone in this instance. That wonderful NCL agent gave me some OBC; it wasn't the difference but IMO something is better than nothing. I really appreciated it, they did not have to do anything since this was also after final payment.

So, you just never know. I do like the advice to ask for an e-mail confirmation while on the phone with the agent.

Happy and safe sailing all!! :)

I've never had issues with my PCC, but he is one of eleven senior PCC's at NCL and I take him at his word and he has always kept it. I tend to book by a specific stateroom number, not just category, so that means I book early. In every case where the category price has gone down prior to final payment, he has adjusted the fare accordingly. In fact, on an upcoming Epic cruise, he called me prior to final payment to advise me that my son, dil and grandson sharing our Haven suite, could go for the cost of taxes only if I would give up their share of the OBC they earned in our suite. That was a no brainer.

I can't tell you that everything that you experienced in you booking was the PCC's fault, or NCL's fault, nor your fault, its just a failure to communicate.:o

The cruise is on Saturday so we won't cancel.

I'm sorry but I don't know what I have my mind made up about? I was wondering if anyone else had success with getting their agent to follow through with what they said. It is just poor customer service to not respond anymore.

Cruise is a few days away.

OP can not cancel at this point.

OP appears to want the latest pricing.

Are we really spending time on this?

No, Op wanted better pricing after final payment date; was offered OBC instead but the agent didn't note it nor send them a email confirmation. Supervisor noting that employee failed, tries to fix problem with technically better room deal but it a expensive to the Op because it means losting special privileges (free spa access). OP can either take the better room choice and buy the separate spa tickets ~or~ realize how lucky they are to keep their current room plus realize that they can just buy or budget themselves more OBC / money on their account.

And yes, we are spending time on this because what one agent tells one person doesn't apply to everyone, even on the same sailing. Happen to me and couple people on last week's Breakaway sailing - Pricing with down a bit in October and some people got $30-50 OBC if they made booked when the pricing was expensive (Mines was $879 w/o port fees and taxes, others were like $829-909). Then the pricing went down even further to like $400 for a studio room 2 weeks before the cruise - Some people got on the phone earlier in the morning on Monday and paid extra for specific room numbers such as aft balconies like about $40-140 or had a choice of additional OBC up to $120. I call them up expecting to get at least some free OBC for my studio room price drop but instead I get the option of Mini-suite guarantee at no additional cost or keep my room with no additional OBC. I pick the MX - I would be a fool to not take the offer since it basically free due to the original pricing of the studio room at the time. Yes, it was mini-suite over Fat Cats and by the front elevator lobby but its big upgrade from a studio (music was like a lullaby to me anyway and it wasn't really noisy due to the size of the room). You better believe I made the agent send me a updated email confirmation with the new room category while I was on the phone with her because it sounded to good to be true and to double-check if my original show reservations / shore excursions / free & paid OBC were still there and email that too.

So yes, learning from other posters experiences can help others make wise decisions and understand that what happens to one person may or may not happen to them. If anything, I hope the OP can see the silver lining in this mess by not taking upgrade if the spa is that important to them and to not worry about free OBC that they have to use it or lose it.

Can you upgrade to a spa mini-suite?

We noticed that prices had dropped quite a bit after final payment. We called up and couldn't get OBC, but did get an upgrade. We are happy with that; we got something better than what we started out with for nothing. One can't be too greedy.

My advice: Always use an independent travel agent. This way, the agent works for you, which is what you want.

Once you've found one you like, keep using them, and do the majority of your communication by e-mail so it's all in writing.

I've been doing this for the last 6 years and it's extremely convenient, there are no surprises, and my agent has been able to get me discounts or free/cheap upgrades even after final payment dates.

Can't beat that.

Ex: January Epic sailing. Booked a BC > BA deal back in July. Price dropped last week. Got an upgrade to MX for free, then optionally to MA for CAD$64. I paid the same price as the sale, kept my OBC, and all it took was an e-mail

Edited by TheWulf

Some of us wish to have an adult discussion about our experiences with this situation; please move on if you do not wish to contribute anything positive. Thanks. :)

Some of us wish to have an adult discussion about our experiences with this situation; please move on if you do not wish to contribute anything positive. Thanks. :)

Sorry if you were offended. (really, I am).

But, I was pointing out that maybe it is not the agent that is the problem. When a customer has an unreasonable expectation and then says the agent is the problem, well.....

We have seen too many posts about people that complain about poor customer service, bad agent etc., when in fact, they just do not like the process/policy.

My advice: Always use an independent travel agent. This way, the agent works for you, which is what you want.

Once you've found one you like, keep using them, and do the majority of your communication by e-mail so it's all in writing.

I've been doing this for the last 6 years and it's extremely convenient, there are no surprises, and my agent has been able to get me discounts or free/cheap upgrades even after final payment dates.

Can't beat that.

Ex: January Epic sailing. Booked a BC > BA deal back in July. Price dropped last week. Got an upgrade to MX for free, then optionally to MA for CAD$64. I paid the same price as the sale, kept my OBC, and all it took was an e-mail

You are so right, I have not had an experience yet with a TA which did not benefit me greatly. A PCC at NCL is not a TA, but a call center employee, although some are very professional, go out of their way to help you, and know their stuff. Unfortunately, some of the PCCs are inexperienced call center reps who are incompetent or just don't know what they are talking about or just don't care. And they are not exclusively at NCL. If the OBC had not appeared as promised and a TA were involved, this would have been quickly made right by NCL, IMO, but who knows.

I have been promised OBC after final when prices dropped and no upgrade was available and it always went off without a hitch. Not sure what happened in the case of the OP. Perhaps there was a free upgrade available and the OBC was offered instead by the PCC in error. If the free upgrade is still available, then the OP is not going to get OBC even if it was initially offered in error. And they are not going to admit their mistake. And it matters not if the OP does not consider it an upgrade.

If the free upgrade is not available, then the OP might have some chance of getting some OBC, but as is often pointed out, NCL owes us nothing after final payment. It might be worth another call to a supervisor asking nicely for what you were promised, but I would not let this experience sour you on your cruise if the answer is No.

Edited by punkincc

Sorry if you were offended. (really, I am).

But, I was pointing out that maybe it is not the agent that is the problem. When a customer has an unreasonable expectation and then says the agent is the problem, well.....

We have seen too many posts about people that complain about poor customer service, bad agent etc., when in fact, they just do not like the process/policy.

To set it straight, I called because of over a $600 price drop. The agent said he was on another call about the same thing. He needed to send it "upstairs" for approval. He then refused to call us after leaving multiple voice mails and multiple emails which included screen shots. The issue is not the money, it is the poor customer service of one individual. We are not "first time cruisers" but have sailed multiple times with no issues. Lesson learned. Book flights for when we want to go and wait till the 90 days or sooner to book the NCL cruise. Worst case? we have a hotel vacation or see whats available on a competing cruise line, no loss. Bon Voyage!!