Crown CA getaway

meh56

I'm on this cruise and figure it's gonna be chilly sailing to Santa Barbara and then south but Ensenada should be warmer. It may or probably won't be pool weather other than in port or near Ensenada. I'm just bringing warmer clothes. My daughter and I took a similar cruise last January that went to Catalina instead of Santa Barbara. We booked the Sanctuary and were able to make full use of it. We're booked in oceanview cabins. I think it'll be pretty chilly on balconies without a windbreak.

Edited by Pam in CA

I'm on this cruise and figure it's gonna be chilly sailing to Santa Barbara and then south but Ensenada should be warmer. It may or probably won't be pool weather other than in port or near Ensenada. I'm just bringing warmer clothes. My daughter and I took a similar cruise last January that went to Catalina instead of Santa Barbara. We booked the Sanctuary and were able to make full use of it. We're booked in oceanview cabins. I think it'll be pretty chilly on balconies without a windbreak.

My only concern would be that Santa Barbara is a tender port, so it could be skipped if the weather doesn't cooperate. If I were coming from another part of the country, with my heart set on seeing SB, I might do a 3-nighter to Ensenada instead. I would then rent a car and drive from LA to SB for a day of sightseeing before or after the cruise.

My only concern would be that Santa Barbara is a tender port, so it could be skipped if the weather doesn't cooperate. If I were coming from another part of the country, with my heart set on seeing SB, I might do a 3-nighter to Ensenada instead. I would then rent a car and drive from LA to SB for a day of sightseeing before or after the cruise.
Yup. I know it's a tender port and getting into a port is never guaranteed. Actually, a few months ago, I took a day trip with Saddleback College from Mission Viejo to Santa Barbara by train.

The purpose of this cruise for us is mother/daughter getaway plus the first vacation my daughter has had in a year. It's the only cruise that fits her schedule. Santa Barbara just happens to be on this itinerary. But you're right to point this out for others.

So, Pam, is it worth a balcony in April, weather wise? I'm figuring a lightweight jacket will be appropriate and necessary.

So, Pam, is it worth a balcony in April, weather wise? I'm figuring a lightweight jacket will be appropriate and necessary.

We sailed with Pam and her daughter last January in a Caribe deck larger balcony cabin. We only got a balcony because it was the Getaway 100% FCC where our cruise fare was a credit towards a future cruise. We recently booked a 3 day cruise in January with inside cabins beginning at $99 per person. We booked an inside cabin & maybe we'll be visited by the Upgrade Fairy to get a higher type of cabin. :)

So for me whether a balcony is worth it or not depends on the cost for how often I'd use the balcony on a cooler cruise with primarily only ocean views but that's an individual decision without a "correct" answer for everyone. ;)

The purpose of this cruise for us is mother/daughter getaway plus the first vacation my daughter has had in a year. It's the only cruise that fits her schedule. Santa Barbara just happens to be on this itinerary. But you're right to point this out for others.

I'm so glad you're doing this! You will both have a great time, I'm sure. I'm on the next sailing with my Pam and the baby, so we'll see what a sailor the little girl turns out to be! DH and I did the Santa Barbara cruise last year and we had a balcony. If the weather turned cool, we would have simply worn a coat to sit out there, but it was really nice on that trip.

We sailed with Pam and her daughter last January in a Caribe deck larger balcony cabin. We only got a balcony because it was the Getaway 100% FCC where our cruise fare was a credit towards a future cruise. We recently booked a 3 day cruise in January with inside cabins beginning at $99 per person. We booked an inside cabin & maybe we'll be visited by the Upgrade Fairy to get a higher type of cabin. :)

So for me whether a balcony is worth it or not depends on the cost for how often I'd use the balcony on a cooler cruise with primarily only ocean views but that's an individual decision without a "correct" answer for everyone. ;)

I have already booked a premium aft balcony for April and am traveling solo. Generally a balcony is worth the extra money most times but I was just wondering about the aspect of its worth relating to WEATHER in April. Being from the east coast I have no idea of air temperature in California at that time of year. And having paid for a Dolphin mini in late August for 2 weeks in the British Isles, I was freezing and unprepared for the cold. Boo hoo and brrrrrrr. And I would definitely recommend people to skip it if they are expecting to enjoy the outdoors. However, thanks for your input. I can sort out all the other reasons for having balcony but am unsure whether I will be freezing my rear off at sea. (which would counter the average weight gain lol) And from your post it is obvious you wouldn't recommend it in January. Thanks.

I have already booked a premium aft balcony for April and am traveling solo. Generally a balcony is worth the extra money most times but I was just wondering about the aspect of its worth relating to WEATHER in April. Being from the east coast I have no idea of air temperature in California at that time of year...I can sort out all the other reasons for having balcony but am unsure whether I will be freezing my rear off at sea. (which would counter the average weight gain lol) And from your post it is obvious you wouldn't recommend it in January. Thanks.

Southern California weather is a crapshoot in both January, and, to a lesser degree, in April. It can be sunny and mild, or cool and rainy. We have just been through a 3-year drought with sunny winters and springs. Now that we seem to be having some rain again, this coming winter and spring could be either of the above. I wouldn't count on warm weather until May or June.

I can almost guarantee no snow at sea level. We haven't had it where I live in San Diego since 1967.

I have booked a balcony on the Crown for one of her January sailings. I doubt it will be warm enough for me to want to lounge there, but I like to be able to go out for a breath of fresh air without having to dress and leave the cabin.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Keep in mind the January 22 cruise is the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim fan cruise.

Thanks for the heads up, however I am on the January 30th sailing. Do you know of any large groups on my sailing, and is there a list somewhere? The online group cruise sites I have seen are often out of date or incomplete.

Southern California has a wide variety of climates within a relatively small area. I live about 60 miles south of LA and two miles from the ocean. Even those two miles can mean a 10-degree difference or the difference between a cold marine layer and a warm sunny day. 20-30 miles north or east can be 10-30 degrees hotter in the summer.

The main thing to keep in mind is that the California Current runs south from the Gulf of Alaska along the coast to Baja California. It's fast-moving and very cold, even in the summer. In January, temps might be 60-70 on the shore or in port but on the water and at sea, they could very well be in the 50's. That's why I think it'll be chilly on a balcony or where there's no windbreak because you'd add the speed of the ship to the air temp.

It will be interesting. I am on the Jan 26th sailing, and I do have a balcony cause the price was really, really good and I am coming from Alaska....so hopefully, I will be able to use it. That said, I moved to Alaska from Key West and I have been much colder in Key West on the water than I ever have been in Alaska....so we will see how CA will be. I might live to regret it, but a cruise is better than not a cruise. :)

...The main thing to keep in mind is that the California Current runs south from the Gulf of Alaska along the coast to Baja California. It's fast-moving and very cold, even in the summer. In January, temps might be 60-70 on the shore or in port but on the water and at sea, they could very well be in the 50's. That's why I think it'll be chilly on a balcony or where there's no windbreak because you'd add the speed of the ship to the air temp.

Well said. Many first-timers to the California coast think it will be as balmy as the Caribbean, and it is definitely not.

It will be interesting. I am on the Jan 26th sailing, and I do have a balcony cause the price was really, really good and I am coming from Alaska....so hopefully, I will be able to use it. That said, I moved to Alaska from Key West and I have been much colder in Key West on the water than I ever have been in Alaska....so we will see how CA will be. I might live to regret it, but a cruise is better than not a cruise. :)

If the price was right, I doubt you'll regret a balcony, even in winter. As I mentioned in another post, I like to step out onto a balcony to get a breath of fresh air, even in cold weather, without having to dress and leave the cabin. Coming from AK, SoCal may seem warm to you. I feel cold when it gets down in the 50s-60s, which I'm sure will give you a chuckle ;).

Edited by Ryndam2002

And if you are checking the temps for the cruise...DON'T use the numbers Princess posts.....they take the average day time high...add it to the average night time lo...and divide by 2...for an "AVERAGE" temp....check the weather service......obviously you would want to know the averave day temp....and maybe the night temp...not a lending of them..

My husband and I are thinking of the Crown sailing Jan 22 to Santa Barbara...Great price...Has anyone done this sailing in the winter...Any info would be appreciated

And if you are checking the temps for the cruise...DON'T use the numbers Princess posts.....
And, don't use the temps for Los Angeles, either. If you're checking temps, check for San Pedro or another city directly on the ocean. My point above about the temp/weather differences applies to LA which is far enough inland to sometimes be quite different.

Most of theport towns are either big enough or well known enough that you can look up temps directly...you definately can for Santa Barbara.

Michael :cool:

And, don't use the temps for Los Angeles, either. If you're checking temps, check for San Pedro or another city directly on the ocean. My point above about the temp/weather differences applies to LA which is far enough inland to sometimes be quite different.

Thank you for your replies...We decided to book on the 22nd in an oceanview...we usually book a balcony but took an oceanview guarantee so we might get lucky with a cabin assignment...we could not say no to the great price...We are from AZ so we will pretend we are sailing during the summer when the temp in AZ is a hot 110 degrees