Have to cancel cruise and have questions

Murphs

So I have a question that I hope someone might have experience with. My brother in law has just been diagnosed with stage four cancer and so several couples in our family are going to need to cancel our reservations for a cruise we had booked in February. Final payment is not due until 12/25 and I have not paid it off yet so I am not concerned about the cruise itself, but rather I am more concerned with the air transportation we purchased through Choice Air. We did take the cruise protection plan when we booked, but I am guessing that doesn't kick in until after the cruise is paid in full. I tried to get the documentation for the protection plan but the customer service person at RCCL was of no help, she said it would not be available until 45 days prior to the cruise and said that it would not pertain to the air anyway, that it would only cover the cruise itself, which didn't sound right to me. My question is, what is the best way to go about canceling the cruise and air? I am thinking it makes more sense to go ahead and pay it in full and then use the insurance, but based on what the customer service rep said, in that case would it cover the air fare? The other route would be to just call them now prior to the payment deadline and cancel the air which was a non-refundable rate, so I would imagine doing that I would be out the money. Never used choice air before, and was hoping that someone here might have some experience that they could share before I go further with this. Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Thanks

Mike

I am sorry to hear of the illness.

I have no personal experience with such an insurance claim.

Still, my gut tells me you probably should not increas the magnitude of a future claim by making final payment.

I think you should get (maybe there is a link to the policy online) and carefully read the policy.

you might also want to post the question on the cruse insurance forum.

Edit: Check this page for a link to plan details

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/vacationProtectionPlan.do

Edited by Starry Eyes

I am so sorry to hear of your brother-in-law's illness. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. I know how difficult this is. I also know that we don't often think things through when faced with this type of thing. So, I agree with Starry Eyes. Do not compound your stress by making final payment and canceling. I think there is a big chance that you won't get a refund. It might not fall in the covered category. It may be possible that the choice air portion may still be refundable.

If you bought cruise insurance through Royal Caribbean, it should be noted on your confirmation. That would act as proof. I don't use choice air, and rarely fly. So I don't know if air is covered. You can read Royal's insurance coverage in full on their website. Here is a link. But a word of advice, don't wait to cancel. If you know for sure you are not going, then cancel now and worry about the air later.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/vacationProtectionPlan.do

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=324&faqSubjectName=Air+Travel&faqId=3721

Air Travel

Q: If cruise is cancelled how will non-refundable air be treated?

A: All tickets are subject to the airline's rules. Generally on a nonrefundable ticket, the guest may re-use the ticket, subject to any fees imposed by the airline.

Air Travel

Q: What happens if I purchase a ChoiceAir non-refundable airline ticket and now need to change or cancel it?

A: You will be subject to any penalties or restrictions imposed by the airline. Guests may call the ChoiceAir Support desk and change or cancel the reservation.

Air Travel

Q: What happens if a guest with ChoiceAir cancels their cruise?

A: Guests with non-refundable tickets will not be canceled. They own the ticket. Guest with refundable tickets will be refunded, but subject to the airline's rules, conditions and penalties. Guests should contact the ChoiceAir Support Desk at (800) 533-7803 with any questions about cancellations and/or refunds.

Some of their answers on the FAQ page

Also on this page:

Air Travel

Q: If I have CruiseCare and cancel my cruise for any reason, is my air covered?

A: The CruiseCare® package of benefits does have provisions for covering trip cancellations and interruptions under specific conditions. Please visit the CruiseCare page for more information.

Your reason would be a 'covered reason' (sickness, injury, or death of yourself, a traveling companion or

members of either of your immediate families, which is diagnosed

and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is

terminated) but 'has the premium been paid' is a question.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCCruiseCare_V3.pdf

Cancel for any reason:

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not

authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted,

at any time up until departure, and you have purchased

CruiseCare, Royal Caribbean International will provide you

a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value

(excluding ChoiceAir) of your Cruise Vacation prepaid to Royal

Caribbean International, for your use toward a future cruise.

I think you need to talk to someone.

Edited by marci22