taking pictures in shore excursions

rako

Hi,

I have a silly question :p . How do you guys carry your cameras/ phones when going on water excursions. I am planning on going to Cave tubing. Would love to take pics .. but at the same time, doesnt want my camera to be spoiled.

I was considering getting a waterproof overboard iphone case, in which I can also carry my sign and sail card, cash etc. Do you think it would be ok ?

Thanks in advance.

Rako.

Excited to go on my carnival glory on dec 20 :)

We have a waterproof camera but i also buy a disposable before the cruise. I also got a waterproof bag from academy that can hold credit card, sail card ,and phone. I have swam with it and you wear it around your neck so its hands free. They are in the kayak dept. It is also nice to use when you are in an area where you might worry about your stuff.

For water excursions, such as cave tubing, we purchase a disposable waterproof camera. By the way, they're much cheaper at a discount store, such as Walmart, than they are on the ship.

We used to do that -- then we did the math -- an inexpensive waterproof digital camera will take better pictures and not take very long to pay for itself.

I pondered the same question and ended up buying a digital waterproof camera (Panasonic Lumix TS25) for two of our excursions. Since returning from our cruise, I've used it while whitewater rafting and plan to take it skiing in the next month. The picture quality isn't up to par with my regular Canon but for an action camera that can get wet and go on adventures with me, I'm happy with it.

If you don't think you will use a waterproof camera beyond your cruise, opt for the disposable waterproof ones. They work just fine!

Edited by iheartmarshall

In addition to a waterproof camera, when doing active excursions like cave tubing or diving, you'll probably want to make sure that you have a strap that is either long enough to securely attach to the front of your life vest and still take pictures, or one that floats (I use a combo of both). Wrist straps are great for the less active water stuff, but I prefer not to risk losing the camera or breaking someone's nose if I need to suddenly put my hands out to avoid an obstacle.

just purchased a camera/mask to use with snorkeling. Has a good low-Fstop to help with low light. I also have a DicaPac for use with a point/shoot for other non-snorkling water events. This has worked reasonably well for at least 4 years and costs around $35

• 1 month later...

Since I wanted to use my Lumix point & shoot I bought a dry-dock case which worked fine. It is suitable for outdoor activities, shallow dives, and watersports. Submersible to 10 m. I forgot how much it cost but it wasn't very expensive. I bought it in Khao Lak, Thailand. http://www.dri-dock.com You may be able to find something similar where you are located.

Edited by chris45ny
Wanted to add more info to reply.