Vigo excursions

Newcruiser1996

Vigo itself is Ok to wander around but nothing special. If this is your first cruise to Vigo, my recommendation is to get yourself to Santiago de compostela which is the end of the Pilgrim route. It will be crowded, probably raining but the Catherdral is lovely. As a new cruiser I would personally recommend going on a P &O excursion at least to get you to the town, even if you then go it alone. It's about an hour from memory from Vigo.

I see you have made several similar posts about excursions. Many of the places you are going to you can "do your own thing" but sometimes it is worthwhile paying the extra and going through P & O until you get the hang of things! Sometimes the best excursions to book are those which are perhaps for half a day plus time on your own. You will see something of a port plus You are guaranteed a timely return to the ship but are not too tied to following the masses. which can sometimes be very slow!. Just as an example , we did a Rome trip - included a trip to the Colusseum, and priority entrance to the Vatican public areas but the rest of the time we were free to explore by ourselves before catching the coach back to the ship. Similarly with Santiago, the trip included the coach to Santiago, a short walking tour , and lunch plus about 3 hours on our own. So have a good look at the excursions and see what they involve. They will cost you more than going it alone, but you are guaranteed not missing the ship!

Others will probably disagree but they are probably seasoned cruisers - and indeed we often go it alone now. But when we first started cruising we liked the security blanket provided by P &O.

I we did our first cruise this year and did most trips ourself if you are mobile there is a nice walk up the hill to the castle where you can see for miles also free to get in but is all up hill apart from that it's really only shops we did most stops on our own but wanted to see things near to the port if I was going any distance I would go with the cruise ship until I have done a few more cruises.

We always planned the furthest distance first so if you run out of time you are closer to the ship we also planned to get back for late lunch or afternoon tea depending when the ship was departing

Enjoy

Sent from my SM-T520 using Forums mobile app

We've visited Vigo several times (most regular P&O cruisers have....) and have mixed feelings about this port.

Our first visit was in 2008 and we enjoyed it. I was blogging from that cruise and here's my blog report on the visit.

Then we went back on 2011. This time we did an excursion to Santiago de Compostela. I'm afraid we didn't enjoy that much at all - we felt that there was too obvious a culture clash between tourists (including us) and a cathedral full of pilgrims, for whom the day was the culmination of an intense experience. Again I blogged and here's my report from that visit.

Then we were back again in 2012. We did an excursion again, this time down to Portugal. What with the weather and the drive around Vigo first, we felt this was also a disappointment. You can read about it here.

And believe it or not we were back again in 2013. This time we just wandered around and had lunch ashore in a restaurant in town, and it was a pleasant-enough day.

Other excursions? - well, on a good day the excursion to Cies island is supposed to be great, and if the weather had been better and we hadn't wasted time driving around Vigo, the trip southwards into Portugal would have been excellent. But I think it's a call at a port that happens to be in exactly the right place, rather than a port that's an attraction on itself.

The best excursion you can do and very cheap is the "stay on the ship and have a relaxing day" excursion unless you want to look at shoe shops or a desire to shop in C&A that is the best option.

:D We have a sea day before and after Vigo so would be good to get off for a bit!

:D We have a sea day before and after Vigo so would be good to get off for a bit!

IMO doesnt matter how many sea days we have before or after a visit to Vigo we always stay on the ship because if you stay in port and dont do an excursion Vigo is a "dump".

IMO doesnt matter how many sea days we have before or after a visit to Vigo we always stay on the ship because if you stay in port and dont do an excursion Vigo is a "dump".

Vigo is a working city and the more times we have been the more we like just wandering around and having a good look at places.

Bit unfair to call it a "dump"

Stone must be an exciting place then!

Edited by Missus Makkem

Vigo is a working city and the more times we have been the more we like just wandering around and having a good look at places.

My one and only visit to Vigo was on a Sunday and although I wouldn't exactly call it a dump I would say it was somewhat lacking in life and atmosphere! Maybe it's different in the week.

I do tend to choose cruises that avoid Vigo if I can!:)

Edited by Brayman

Anywhere is exciting compared to Vigo.

We usually just have a walk around any place and we found Vigo to be fine. The place was clean and some fine buildings.

We sat in the sun by the marina and enjoyed a coffee, brandy and a chat with a very interesting local man. It was lovely. A couple said that they had been to the old part where the fish stalls are, which they really enjoyed.

Edited by heywood