Summer Cruise Sale Pricing and Other Questions

Hi everyone. I just returned from the best cruise I've ever been on - my first RCI cruise, which was on the Navigator of the Seas. I've been on 5 Carnival cruises beforehand and now I don't think I'd ever cruise them again. Definitely more of a Royal fan. :D I am only 21 and this was the 2nd cruise I've booked on my own (rest were bookings made by my parents). So please excuse my beginner level knowledge here. :o

Anyways, I need help with figuring out the best time to book the next cruise. We are wanting to go on the Navigator again in July for a birthday cruise. Now, once I learned about the price drop guarantee Royal offered, I watched the prices on my 12/7 sailing like a hawk (we paid $1300 after taxes/fees, and $1468 after prepaying gratuities). Close to sailing, I saw that staterooms were going for MUCH less than we had paid, on occasion. In fact, we were in a Virtual Balcony room, and during the "Going, Going, Gone" sale, D3 balconies were going for $1400 after taxes and fees for 2 people. So just $100 over what we paid for a smaller room with NO balcony or real sunlight!

Needless to say we figured it is probably best to pick a ship and sail date, but not book the cruise until the last second possible. We don't care about cabin type or location so we won't be worried about missing a spot on the ship.

What I would like to know is - will we see substantial price drops on a July cruise? As of right now, a Virtual Balcony room on the sailing we picked (Jul. 19) is $2240 with taxes. :eek: I just wanna know, based off your previous experiences, if we will have to pay near that price if we book about a month or so before the sailing date? I know cruise prices drop as it gets closer to time, and the 12/7 sailing prices dropped a great deal, but I also know that summer cruises always tend to be more expensive because it's peak sailing time.

Another question I have is we are thinking about taking 2 other people, but as a surprise, and pay for their tickets as well. But, these 2 people are not very familiar with each other and we know they'd like separate cabins. So we are looking at 3 cabins for 4 people (my partner and I in one, the other 2 separate). I'm guessing it's going to be impossible to book their cabins at 125% rate for single occupancy? Are there certain sales that pop up that allow those rates, or do you just have to pick the right ship and sail date? We may split it up as 2 people per cabin but would rather not.

Any advice is appreciated. I am so anxious to have it booked, but like anyone else would like to have it booked for as low as possible. After watching all those price drops on our 12/7 sailing, we only received $50 back from Royal, despite other VB rooms going for HALF the price we paid (new bookings only). So we want to be sure we book at the right time, and know how to play it right if we bring 2 other people.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by sidekick3_cruiser

It seems like you said we have to watch the prices closely.

We watch very close for those sales, because the price jumps right before- and we know soon after the sale ends they will be reduced, and a good time to get the reduction or cruise credit for us.

Good luck.

Just keep checking.

We do daily

Sea Ya

I see. Thanks for the responses so far. :) I know we never know when the "good" sales will be, and what reductions they'll bring, but I guess my question is more of: If I choose to book very close to sailing time, should I expect to be paying around the price it is now? At $2240 for an inside w/virtual balcony? It just seems like a ridiculous price because I paid $1468 for my 12/7 cruise, and when those were on a good sale they were less than $1000, and I missed out on that because it was a "new booking only sale". Are these normal rates people typically pay for a summer RCI cruise, or should it definitely be lower than that? If anyone who has sailed on Navigator during the summer can chime in, that would be great. I'd like an idea of what the prices might be.

We loved our time on Navigator as well. As for prices it all comes down to supply versus demand. It's not predictable. The one thing that is certain is that prices are always higher for the months of June, July, August, as schools are out and families take vacation cruises.

In my opinion, trying to wait until the last minute to book for the timeframe you mentioned is highly risky. If you book now and the rate drops before the final payment date you can get a price adjustment. If you wait, the risk is that prices go up instead as your cruise begins to fill the cabins. Also, to keep in mind is that the ship is sailing out of Galveston so there are fewer options available from that port. That also contributes to higher prices, especially during the peak cruise season.

Edited by cruisingsince94

We loved our time on Navigator as well. As for prices it all comes down to supply versus demand. It's not predictable. The one thing that is certain is that prices are always higher for the months of June, July, August, as schools are out and families take vacation cruises.

In my opinion, trying to wait until the last minute to book for the timeframe you mentioned is highly risky. If you book now and the rate drops before the final payment date you can get a price adjustment. If you wait, the risk is that prices go up instead as your cruise begins to fill the cabins. Also, to keep in mind is that the ship is sailing out of Galveston so there are fewer options available from that port. That also contributes to higher prices, especially during the peak cruise season.

So true. But also (in regards to my 12/7 sailing) after seeing the big price cuts for "new bookings only" when it got close to sailing time, it now makes it really hard to book this one so early. My plan for my 12/7 sailing was to book early, secure a room, and get some good price adjustments. I tried every time I saw price cuts, and I only managed to get $100 back in the end. The rest of the times, I was denied because either my sailing was on a New Booking Only sale or because I was past final payment date and higher category cabins were not low enough to make them worthwhile upgrades for us (we are NEVER in the room).

I think it hurt the most when I saw those D3 balconies going for $1400 for 2 people after tax, and I paid $1300 for the interior room I had. But I was unable to get that price since it was new bookings only.

Just read a thread about Oasis summer prices where the OP mentioned that as of right now prices were $2000pp for an interior room. Many people chimed in with much better prices they paid for their Oasis/Allure sailings. It's a bit reassuring. I just hate the idea of paying $2250 for this room if it's gonna drop substantially for "new bookings only" when it gets closer to time, and especially if I'd be missing a chance for a balcony room for that price or less.

Sorry if this is confusing to anyone. But now I have other people wanting to book with me, and they're anxious to book (first cruise for them). So we are working hard to figure out if it would be worth waiting until closer to the last minute. They are ready to book NOW. :D

You cruised in second week of December which historically is one of the cheapest weeks of the year to cruise. Cruising in July is one of the most expensive weeks of the year. Especially on Navigator which now has a flowrider I believe.

Not trying to rain on your parade but there it is. Personally I think I'd wait til a month out and book whatever is cheapest. If it must be Navigator, might as well book it now.

And 3 cabins for 4 people is ridiculous...I'd tell you other two friends to become friends prior to the cruise. The beds do split, it's no biggie.

Another reason its higher is because its in the middle of summer, Thats when a lot of people take vacations. Also schools are out, so families will be planning vacations. Summer, Spring Break, Christmas and New Years you see elevated pricing. You just have to watch the pricing and hope it comes down but be prepared to pay elevated cost if not.