Going on the Fantasy but not sure how to dress for dinner.

madballjs

So we're taking our first disney cruise on the Fantasy on January 24, 2015 for 7 nights. We are having a hard time figuring out what we will need to wear for the dinners. From what I've found it looks like there is a formal night the 2nd night of the cruise and a simi-formal dinner the 6th night of the cruise. I plan on wearing a suit for both of these nights but for the other night were not sure how to dress. Are nice jeans and a nice polo shirt or button down shirt acceptable? We've been on 2 Royal Caribbean cruises in 2006 and 2009 so it's been a little while for us. We have been waiting until my daughter is old enough to have a ton of fun. It will be myself my wife and daughter on the cruise. Any help with dress for dinners is very much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DCL has removed the "no jeans" request. While most guys wear khakis and a polo to dinner, you will be appropriate in jeans and a t shirt. My logic is to be comfortable but look decent. Women wear a sun dress, capris, slacks, etc. You don't actually need a suit unless you plan to dine in Remy (where a jacket is required). Yes, most guys wear a suit on formal night, most women wear a dressy dress BUT it is not required.

On the non-formal/semi nights, the attire is listed as "cruise casual." Take that to mean anything you wish. We dress for dinner (meaning we don't go to dinner in what we've worn all day), but I can get several nights out of a pair of black pants and several blouses. Ditto, a guy could do one pair of Dockers with various polos. Somehow I always take more clothing than I need, no matter how many times I pare down the luggage.

On our recent Fantasy cruise we saw very few suits on formal night. Shirts and ties were more the norm for the men, and just as many without ties. The women wore nicer dresses, but nothing as dressy as we've seen on formal nights aboard RCI (I think this is a general cruise trend, not just specific to DCL.) Of course there were many "Little Princesses" in full costume. Dress on the other nights was very casual - for the men, khakis, "golf shorts", jeans, T-shirts, polos, and the women in just about anything except bathing suit cover-ups! You really notice very little about what others are wearing in the dining rooms due to the low ceilings and "spread-out" nature (very different from the two-story venues where it's easier to people watch). You will see more in the Atrium, etc., before and after dining.

Seems like many in our party opted to dash back to the cabins and change into "comfies" before heading out to the shows, movies and other entertainment. Be sure to pack sweatshirts, windbreakers and long pants to fully anticipate the weather and enjoy the outdoor spaces in the evening.

I plan on wearing a suit for both of these nights but for the other night were not sure how to dress. Are nice jeans and a nice polo shirt or button down shirt acceptable?

Absolutely. That's how DH and DS dress on non-formal nights on the cruises been on. For me, I wear nice dresses every night, usually with nylons and heels (the first because they keep me warm and the second because I don't care for flats), and I step it up a bit on formal nights.

DCL has one of the most relaxed dress codes of the cruiselines.

Their request is no tank tops or swim suits in the dining room.

Shorts and jeans are fine for cruise casual nights.

They also do not require a jacket for formal or semi formal nights.

It is certainly one aspect I'm looking forward to for our cruise next November. We're going to do a matching outfit for our "dress up night" but it will probably be pants with matching polo shirts for the men/boys and matching tops with either pants or a shirt for the ladies (and a princess dress for the 5 year old girl :p just because she already has so many of them).

It'll be nice not to have to pack two outfits for the kids for each day (they can wear their shorts and tshirts to the MDR - no having to pack pants and nicer shirts just for dinner).

DCL has one of the most relaxed dress codes of the cruiselines.

It'll be nice not to have to pack two outfits for the kids for each day (they can wear their shorts and tshirts to the MDR - no having to pack pants and nicer shirts just for dinner).

It is not necessary to pack 2 outfits for kids each day even if you do choose to take them to the dining room in something other than what they've run around in and sweated in all day. They are only in dinner clothes for a couple hours each night. Unless they spill their dinner all over their clothes, 2 sets of decent dinner clothing can get them thru a whole week.

But provided you are at a table by yourselves, no one cares what you wear to dinner. We appreciate it when families at surrounding tables can control the behavior of their members to the point that they are not disturbing other tables We've sometimes found that making dinner something a little special can result in improved behavior. Sorry, but the food fight that resulted in chocolate on my daughter's blouse, kids running around the dining room creating peril for the servers, stealing items from the server stations....unacceptable.

Behavior ranks FAR higher than clothing in my book!

• 5 months later...
I know this is somewhere in the documentation, but I can't find it... where is the list of suggested dining attire and which night is which?

It's not in the cruise papers. It's usually just posted by various past cruisers. Depending on how long your cruise is, there may be a formal night (or 2). 7 night cruises usually have formal night on night 2 with semi-formal on night 6. Depending on your itinerary, the nights are a little variable. Generally, on the Fantasy this is the order of menus:

Night 1 - Rotation menu /Crush if in AP

Night 2 - Rotation menu [formal night] /Crush if in AP

Night 3 - Rotation menu /Crush if in AP

Night 4 - Pirate menu

Night 5 - Prince & Princess menu / Animation if in AP

Night 6 - Captain's Gala [semiformal night] / Animation if in AP

Night 7 - See You Real Soon menu / Animation if in AP

Or nights 4 & 5 may flip.

3 & 4 night cruises have a Dress Up Optional night. You can dress up or not, as you wish.

Edited by Shmoo here

It's not in the cruise papers. It's usually just posted by various past cruisers. Depending on how long your cruise is, there may be a formal night (or 2). 7 night cruises usually have formal night on night 2 with semi-formal on night 6. Depending on your itinerary, the nights are a little variable. Generally, on the Fantasy this is the order of menus:

Night 1 - Rotation menu /Crush if in AP

Night 2 - Rotation menu [formal night] /Crush if in AP

Night 3 - Rotation menu /Crush if in AP

Night 4 - Pirate menu

Night 5 - Prince & Princess menu / Animation if in AP

Night 6 - Captain's Gala [semiformal night] / Animation if in AP

Night 7 - See You Real Soon menu / Animation if in AP

Or nights 4 & 5 may flip.

3 & 4 night cruises have a Dress Up Optional night. You can dress up or not, as you wish.

Thanks. Yes, we'll be on a 7-nighter.

We just came back from a 3-nighter and I could swear I saw the suggested dress code somewhere in the documentation.

P.S. Hope you don't mind - I borrowed your Princess tiny icon for my signature. I had one for HAL and DCL but needed something for Princess.

Edited by metairiegal