New Years Eve in Amsterdam?

frenchmartiniplease

Hi all! We were thinking of going on Queen Victoria for New Years 2015.

We've experienced New Years on Azura in Madeira, which was amazing, and wondered how they would compare.

Other than the different ship experience, would the New Year celebrations be a bit of a damp squib after seeing the glorious firework display put on in Madeira?:)

Hi,

Frenchmartini - We are on the Queen Victoria to Amsterdam on 29 Dec 2014 - so will let you know what's its like on our return.

Cunardaddict, I take it you have been to Amsterdam for New Year - any tips for us please - like can you see the fireworks from the ship, etc ?

Have a great cruise aboard QE.

Hi,

Frenchmartini - We are on the Queen Victoria to Amsterdam on 29 Dec 2014 - so will let you know what's its like on our return.

Cunardaddict, I take it you have been to Amsterdam for New Year - any tips for us please - like can you see the fireworks from the ship, etc ?

Have a great cruise aboard QE.

Fireworks are performend by many citizens. The berth where you will be gives you one the best views. Have look on sunday by marinetraffic.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all! We were thinking of going on Queen Victoria for New Years 2015.

We've experienced New Years on Azura in Madeira, which was amazing, and wondered how they would compare.

Other than the different ship experience, would the New Year celebrations be a bit of a damp squib after seeing the glorious firework display put on in Madeira?:)

Glad to hear Madiera is great. I'll be there for NY 2015!

As long as you do get to Amsterdam at all...

Hi Cunardaddict, onboard beautiful Queen Victoria. Checked in and boarded very quickly with lovely smiley faces to greet us.

Departure put back until 8pm, hope it's not a bad omen.!!

The weather forecast at the moment looks favourable :-)

Off to enjoy this beautiful ship.

Quoted from http://www.amsterdamcruise.nl/cruise-calendar

Queen Victoria

-ARRIVAL: 31-12-2014 08:00*

DEPARTURE: 31-12-2014 11:00*

* The arrival and departure times are given by the agency as indication. Times may vary.

:confused:

Arrival: 31-12-14 08:00Check-in: 01-01-15 12:00Cruise Company: Cunard LineHeight: 294 metersDecks: 12Passengers: 2014Flag: UK / Great Britain

from AMSTERDAM PORT AURTHORITY

SEEMS MORE ACCURATE

Yes, docked here at 7 this morning, beautiful day and scheduled to depart at 9.30 ships time tomorrow morning. Happy New Year to you.

How were the fiteworks?

I watched QV passing Ijmuiden locks today noticing slight difficulties due to southerly wind.

This was the feedback I got on another site -

Amsterdam fireworks were amazing. Everywhere we looked fireworks appeared to be going off 360 degrees. They started about 11pm and were still going at 12.30 am when we went inside

Happy New Year everyone.

We had a great time aboard QV. I am trying to upload some photos on here but I can't seem to do it !!! Arrgghhhhh

Frenchmartini - fireworks in the city viewed from top deck were great and the atmosphere at midnight, ships time, was awesome. Plenty of free, yes free Champers was flowing from the waiters trays - nice touch from Cunard we thought - Thank you.

Met so many lovely people - we had a ball.

A few little niggles here and there - but a nice cruise with the added bonus of being able to get into Amsterdam. Although we were told by someone that Capain was going to sail by Zeebrugge back to Southampton earlier due to it being a little windy. However was persuaded to enter and so we enjoyed a couple of hours at the Russian Submarine.

They did, thanks so much. We are on the same trip this year so it was great to hear how it went.

You mentioned midnight ship's time, was that different to midnight in Amsterdam ? Did you celebrate midnight UK time as well ?!

They did, thanks so much. We are on the same trip this year so it was great to hear how it went.

You mentioned midnight ship's time, was that different to midnight in Amsterdam ? Did you celebrate midnight UK time as well ?!

Hi Kate,

The photos above are not very clear I'm afraid ..... hopefully someone will tell me how to upload them properly.

The Captain kept the ship on UK time for the whole cruise, so we all enjoyed the Dutch midnight which was 11pm UK time. The fireworks went on for ages and all around us, a splendid display indeed. It was quite cold on top deck whilst watching the fireworks and we soon went inside and then the party really did start and went on to celebrate again - the UK midnight.

After enjoying the party in The Grand Lobby we went up to Hemispheres and danced the night away until 3am ( I could hardly walk the next day !) I heard that the disco and the last guests left around 5.30am :)