First time on Celebrity Silhouette (12/7) – long time cruiser

jordans mom

Thanks for your review, very interesting to read reviews from a completely different perspective than mine... if you read my Silhouette review, you'll see we have very different priorities... we cruise for the ports (we don't do Caribbean type cruises) & the Entertainment & food just don't matter to us, we prefer the Smithsonian type guest lectures)

One thing that does matter to me on board is an immaculate stateroom (I'm a neat freak :) ) & an attentive stateroom attendant (we had cabin 1535 last year, & it was in good shape) we tend to take very port intensive cruises & so the condition of the cabin really matters, I'm disappointed to hear you had less than stellar service.

I'd love to try an NCL haven suite, but they are definitely out of my budget for Europe. :)

I have cruised with Carnival, Norwegian, Princess and Celebrity. Celebrity was by far the best cruise experience. The food was excellent and I consider myself to be quite the foodie, living in Los Angeles. The atmosphere of the ship was amazing. The fellow passengers were friendly, polite, and well traveled. There were no unsupervised children running around (Carnival), and people were polite in the buffet and entertainment venues. If you are a fan of modern luxury, excellent service, and pure relaxation you will love celebrity.

Continuing on with some of my thoughts ...

I would say that the layout of the ship was about average. The décor on the ship was a bit above average – some spaces were very well done, others just ‘ehhh’ – nothing terrible in general – just not terribly exciting or interesting overall –

notwithstanding the overall ship spaces - - there were 3 spaces I thought were very well done.

As an overall observation - I found some spaces to be too “clustered” and others to be disjointed. Hopefully my descriptions will help clarify this experience for me.

Solarium pool area-

this space was very restful and generally nicely appointed (could have done without the floor to ceiling wall of fake ivy).

The lounges were always well setup and kept clean during the day as people came and went. In one corner was the AquaSpa café (which was handy) and flanked by 2 hot tubs. Entrance to the Spa/Fitness facilities lay on the fore side and passage through to main pool decks was through the aft side. Even though there was plenty going on in the main pool deck – the solarium area was always quiet and restful.

Shopping -

The general and high end shops are on separate levels on the ship. I usually like to meander through the perfumerie and cosmetics area – but it was tucked away on the upper level and was so out of the “usual’ route we would take through the ship – I found myself just forgetting about it as we went about our night wanderings – too bad, as I often find some interesting scent to try and purchase…

..everyday items on the lower level were slim pickings….choices of ‘take home” t’s and things were generally only out in a broad selection during their ‘event’ sales…

.really found it a nuisance to even consider to work the times of my day around when the ship stores wanted to hold a sale(?) (really?) - esp since I found if you asked or wandered by later you could still get what you wanted....

….so, needless to say did not make some of my usual token purchases onboard there either….. the on ship liquor store actually had some good prices and will match any price you see off ship – just take a cell phone picture of the price and name of the seller and they said they would match it – we had a lot of postcruise travelling – so this was not a liquor run opportunity for us – but do keep that in mind - especially if you like rum

More to come….