Oasis Internet Question

ChuckinSC

I too was wondering what the costs of the internet packages will be on the the Oasis of the Seas, as I thought the 03b network would be up and running this month or January? Do you think it might have a different price model than the Allure of the Seas?

The prices I linked above are for the O3b service, and I would expect those to be the same for US based 7 day cruises.

• 3 weeks later...
Did a speed test of the internet onboard Oasis of Seas. Download .25 Mbps and .51 Mbps upload on 1/12/2015 @ 5:15pm (don't expect to have at home internet speed of 25.6 Mbps, but this is slow). I hope this isn't an indication of o3b.

Sure does not sound like O3b.

When you purchased an internet package, did you have a choice of 3 levels of performance?

@clarea My bad. There are 3 packages. Went to customer service and got brochure that shows speeds. Will test next sea day and post results for upgrade package. Basic= 256 kbps, Premium=1 Mbps and Premium Plus= 4 Mbps. We had basic.

Thanks for the info. I believe the option for 3 speed choices is a good indication of O3b capability. Looking forward to your next report.

@clareaTrying the Premium Plus on the OoS and getting download speed of 3.83 Mbps and upload of 3.77 Mbps. It's a sea day and 1 pm'ish. I'm able to watch NBA Gametime Recaps on my android samsung tab. Waiting for a live game to start to try that out. I have a little distortion on NBA Gametime, which is more a memory issue on my device. Even better I can access my Tablo, watch Live TV and my OTA recorded shows with no distortion. Also, can watch ESPN Live. Plenty to do on the ship, but it does provide another layer of options.

@clareaTrying the Premium Plus on the OoS and getting download speed of 3.83 Mbps and upload of 3.77 Mbps. It's a sea day and 1 pm'ish. I'm able to watch NBA Gametime Recaps on my android samsung tab. Waiting for a live game to start to try that out. I have a little distortion on NBA Gametime, which is more a memory issue on my device. Even better I can access my Tablo, watch Live TV and my OTA recorded shows with no distortion. Also, can watch ESPN Live. Plenty to do on the ship, but it does provide another layer of options.

Thanks for the update, I appreciate it. That performance is encouraging, especially on a sea day!:)

I am wondering if texting will work on the ship with one of these packages. We are hoping to use texting to communicate with our children while allowing them the freedom to roam the ship.

Internet based texting will work with a WiFi package. This would be something like iMessage. However, SMS based texting requires a cell connection.

• 2 weeks later...

On Oasis now. I paid $109 for unlimited internet - premium plus. That was with my platinum discount. It's fast!!!

I am able to iMessage back home as well as FaceTime both audio and video. I put my iPhone in airplane mode and then turned on wifi. I have sent photos home too. It's as good as my home wifi if not better. Have not tried to stream a movie yet but think it will be fine.

I opted for one device. There is an option for 2 device. If you had that you could iMessage on the ship between iPhones. Not familiar with texting on android on wifi so don't know how it's done.