Just returned from Costa Maya. My thoughts and notes.

nate265

First, thanks to those on this board who have written reviews / given tips, I think they were helpful. That being said:

The first thing I think is to temper your expectations about what this place is. It's a tiny cruise port attached to a tiny town (800 people?) with a decent beach (multiple beaches?). We ended up having a great time but were a little underwhelmed at first.

You arrive at a giant shopping area with a bunch of the same merchants that are probably owned by the cruise lines (Diamonds international, etc). We just walked through all this to the taxi area.

We took an open air shuttle to Mahahual for $3 per person. Did not price the taxis because the weather was very nice. The drive takes 5-10 minutes and you will pass through a bunch of dilapidated strip malls and failed storefronts on your way. A little depressing but was a nice ride overall. We got off the shuttle at the first stop (Blue Kay, Senior Frogs) but others did venture on.

Here there is a boardwalk that runs along the beach and there are restaurants / beach clubs that seem to go on for a while. We walked about a half mile and saw nothing nicer than Blue Kay so we turned back. People were very friendly and we got several (not too pushy, which was nice) offers to sit at different places. One was $15 all inclusive drinks and one plate of food from a special menu but the beach was pretty crummy.

Blue Kay is where we sat down. (next door to Senior Frogs) They have a bunch of beach chairs and a couple of Hammocks. It's all free to use and we were never pushed for a "day-pass" or drinks or anything like that. Very nice. Twice a friendly beach merchant did come by (in 6 hours) and a simple "No gracias" was all that was needed. Also, they have free Wi-fi no purchase required. Bring your cruise ship towel though because none are offered here! We had to air dry which is not exactly the worst thing in perfect weather.

Now the beach at Blue Kay was pretty nice. It was shallow for a long time and mostly no sea grass; It was very beautiful really.

We ate at Blue Kay and the food was very very good. We had this amazing ceviche that I think cost 150 Pesos. Worth every penny; there were probably like 60 whole shrimp on this dish. They had taco plates for 75 pesos and a variety of other things. Guacamole was also very good at something like 60 pesos. Beers were 30 pesos (only domestic Mexican beers available) and the mixed drink we had was also 30 pesos.

They do offer a "Day Pass" that includes Scuba gear, bikes, and Kayak for 200 pesos or $20. We chose instead to rent kayaks for 30 minutes for 50 pesos each (or $5). Kayaking was really fun and we thought a good value for 100 pesos for 2 kayaks. They were pretty liberal about the 30 minutes too. I'm not sure how long we had them out (we tried to be honest) but it's not like anyone told us to come back (nor was there any sign in / sign out sheet). All very laid back and relaxed.

A taxi back to the cruise port was $2 each. Again we made the trek through the shopping bonanza and back on the boat.

My closing thought would be to consider bringing pesos. For us, everything was cheaper since we had them. I think there are a few ATMs in Mahahual but I think they are pretty far from Blue Kay (more towards the middle of the boardwalk). Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

But to summarize: temper your expectations, bring pesos,bring your towel, and relax. Don't over think it. We are usually pretty adventurous but we literally went to the first place off the shuttle and had a great time. Hammock, 30 peso beer, nice beach, good food, good times! :D

Thanks for your review. We were at Costa Maya two weeks ago and went to Maya Chan for the entire time.

Someone told me the empty storefronts just outside the port are not failed businesses - they WERE the port businesses until the big port complex was built. Then the companies in the complex like Diamonds International knocked them out.

So glad to hear you had a good time. I'm pretty sure we have found our new "choice" place for when we are in Costa Maya. It's just so beautiful there, relaxed, great swimming and snorkeling and like you said, no pressure to buy anything. We loved the food and the people were awesome. We are definitely going back there next time.

For anyone out there that wants pictures or more information, you are welcome to take a look at my review of this place. Post 477 and on...located HERE

Where does one get the pesos? Ship? at port?

How far from the port is Blue Kay? I see it is about a $3 taxi ride or something like that.

It's about a 5 minute ride by cab or 10 minute ride by bus...all depending on your driver. :D

You can see the ship right there in port from Blue Kay.

This was taken at one end of Blue Kay.

PB130337%20copy-L.jpg

This was taken at the far end of Blue Kay.

PB130186%20copy-L.jpg

We also went to Blue Kay during Christmas week...we liked it very much and I had a great time snorkeling....was mad at myself cuz I forgot my under water camera.....thanks Mitsugirl for your report that sold me....weather was also perfect....(Christmas Day):)

You are very welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Are there beach massages available at Blue Kay?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes. I didn't get one, so I don't know the price. I'm sure it's probably pretty reasonable since everything else is there.

PB130084%20copy-L.jpg

We just got back from a cruise on Norwegian Sun, and stopped at Costa Maya.

Once you get outside the gates of the "port village", you can really enjoy this port. Take the shuttle to the village of Mahahual for $3 per person, $2 for the trip back, and get off at any of the 3-4 stops. We decided to wing it at this port, and it was a very relaxed beach day. The locals along the boardwalk will try to seduce you to plop yourself at their establishment, but we found a no-pressure place next door to "Ya Ya's", got ourselves 2 beach chairs and umbrella for the price of our lunch. The beach here is very nice for snorkeling, and there are areas of very shallow water between the shore and the reef. In the sea grass beds there are plenty of live conch shells, which are fun to surface dive for (and then returned to their home). The village is a short walk from the port (about 30 minutes) if you care to walk. Locals are selling a myriad of products along the boardwalk, and the prices are all negotiable and MUCH cheaper than within the confines of the port village. If you are shopping for silver jewelry, be sure to inquire if it is .925 silver and not just plated, which affects the cost. Look for the .925 stamp, not just "MEXICO". The silver and opal jewelry is just gorgeous, and reasonably priced for a souvenir or a gift. No need to book a "beach break" package with any of the local establishments, unless you like to spend money and drink alcohol. Beers are offered everywhere for $1 apiece. I don't think going to the trouble of getting pesos is worthwhile, as everyone accepts US dollars.

Regarding massages, they are offered at several establishments, and we saw one couple get 2 hour-long massages on the beach for a total of $35. Going rate seems to be $20/hour. Can't beat that!

We had our own snorkel gear and brought towels from the ship. Remember to wear a shirt or rash guard when snorkeling to avoid sunburn on your back.

Edited by geogal