has the CB been refurbished since 2012?

S.S.Oceanlover

We were last on the Caribbean Princess in 2012 and while we had a very nice cruise the balcony furniture was in horrible shape as well as some of the room furnishings, and in just sad shape.

The balcony railings looked like they hadn't been varnished in a very long time and they were down to the bare wood.

We have sailed on her 3 times and contemplating a 4th in April but want to do if they have done anything as to spruce her up since we sailed last.

TIA

Bill

Thanks. If we decide to pull the trigger we are hoping to not have to deal with the same conditions. it just seemed like they were ignoring the regular maintenance.

Bill

It seems that maintenance isn't as much of a strong point for the Caribbean Princess as it should be. As an example, from the first time I sailed on the ship in May, the midship panoramic elevator has been out of service. It was only just repaired towards the end of my cruise in early November and the elevator lights (buttons, arrows and floor indicators) are dim and some being very difficult to see. However, each time I sail on the ship, I notice that a couple of things are "slightly" changed/fixed. Some staterooms on the ship are more updated than others. I have found that in my experience, the staterooms with the blue or brown carpeting on CB are updated with the newer mattresses and overall cleaner versus the staterooms with the red carpeting. Of course, that doesn't mean all are. If you're disappointed in the condition of the balcony furniture, I'm sure the stateroom steward would be able to find different chairs and tables. We hadn't experienced that yet.

They have been repainting the area in Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe on my past few sailings, but most public spaces you won't really notice anything unless you're looking for it.

Edited by Disconnections

May 2014
This was just a 10-day routine maintenance dry dock, not a "refurbishment."

Balcony furniture has been replaced on Princess ships but IMHO, not for the better. I'd rather have the more comfortable "old" chairs/half-loungers than the new furniture which is akin to sitting on concrete. They look better, though.

We were last on the Caribbean Princess in 2012 and while we had a very nice cruise the balcony furniture was in horrible shape as well as some of the room furnishings, and in just sad shape.

I did two short cruises on Carribbean.

Personally, I would look at one of the newer ships.

The add-on International Cafe isn't as nice as factory installed.

Also, Carribbean lacks adagio bar.

Things were improved with Ruby/Emerald/Crown, and Carribbean

didn't get the benefits.

In my opinion, that is part of the reason they were giving away

short cruises on Carribbean.

It seems that maintenance isn't as much of a strong point for the Caribbean Princess as it should be. As an example, from the first time I sailed on the ship in May, the midship panoramic elevator has been out of service. It was only just repaired towards the end of my cruise in early November and the elevator lights (buttons, arrows and floor indicators) are dim and some being very difficult to see. However, each time I sail on the ship, I notice that a couple of things are "slightly" changed/fixed. Some staterooms on the ship are more updated than others. I have found that in my experience, the staterooms with the blue or brown carpeting on CB are updated with the newer mattresses and overall cleaner versus the staterooms with the red carpeting. Of course, that doesn't mean all are. If you're disappointed in the condition of the balcony furniture, I'm sure the stateroom steward would be able to find different chairs and tables. We hadn't experienced that yet.

They have been repainting the area in Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe on my past few sailings, but most public spaces you won't really notice anything unless you're looking for it.

As you say it wasn't brand new looking but more than adequate and preferable to lots of new features of the new ships. We'll be on the ship again after sailing the Royal just recently. If you go out of your way to find the bad points I'm sure you can, but it's still OK with me.

Its a never ending ongoing battle, you will never see them all done at once unless the ship is brand new.

Its a never ending ongoing battle, you will never see them all done at once unless the ship is brand new.

I know you can't expect it to be in the same condition as a new ship, but not mentioning some points doesn't help answer the OP's question about his experience with lack of maintenance, the condition of the staterooms and if the condition of the ship is the same as when he last sailed.

Edited by Disconnections

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately the week we can go only the CB is doing the Western caribbean. Just did the Eastern on Oasis of the Seas last month so don't want to do the east again.

All of the other ships of Princess are going to Alaska and other places that week.

Bill

I like the designs of the older ships a bit better....I don't understand why Princess dropped the Grand suite for the last several ships and even the OS are smallish.....they seem to have embraced a less is more attitude....Mine is that less is less....I like the option of the bigger suites and wish Princess would have them available on all their ships...even if the are fewer in number....I like them especially on the longer cruises :cool:

We sailed on the CB in September after a 10 year break. Yes, we had to adjust to the "older" look, after being on the Royal Princess last year. However, after we acclimated ourselves to her, it felt like home and we had no real problems, nor did we look for others. The two things I did notice were the wet floors up on Lido, either after a rain or wash down, and there was a maintenance man continually varnishing the rails. That seemed like his job. LOL. So, the rails were tacky some times. Other than that, we had a great cruise and no big complaints. We were aboard her for nine days.

I was trying to figure out how to get back aboard next spring , until another opportunity opened for us.

Happy Cruising. Lynne

Hi,

I cruised aboard the Caribbean Princess in early September 2014 and was pleased with the ship. Considering that the ship is 10 years old, I thought the public areas and my stateroom were in good shape. I would not hesitate to cruise on this ship again in the future.

Chuck

Glad to read a lot of the post in regards to how the ship looks now compared to 2012.

It was sad seeing the neglect back in 2012. We were on the CB in 2004 I believe when she was brand new and again in 2008.

Nice seeing that they have new balcony furniture although it doesn't seem too popular compared to the old furniture but we probably aren't going to book a balcony this time anyway, so that point is moot.

Wife picked either a Princess cruise or a trip to Disney World.

Nice problem to have.;)

Bill

We sailed on the CB in September after a 10 year break. Yes, we had to adjust to the "older" look, after being on the Royal Princess last year. However, after we acclimated ourselves to her, it felt like home and we had no real problems, nor did we look for others. The two things I did notice were the wet floors up on Lido, either after a rain or wash down, and there was a maintenance man continually varnishing the rails. That seemed like his job. LOL. So, the rails were tacky some times. Other than that, we had a great cruise and no big complaints. We were aboard her for nine days.

I was trying to figure out how to get back aboard next spring , until another opportunity opened for us.

Happy Cruising. Lynne

Same with us. After a 8 year break from the CB & a Royal cruise we were happy to be back. There are not enough bad things about the CB to deter us from sailing vs the bad things on the Royal. Yes, there are many newer things on the Royal that are nicer but returning to the CB it makes me forget about them real quickly.

We were on the CB this summer and it looked MUCH better than it had in a long time. Lots of carpet changes going on also to a more updated color scheme. I had the same concern since it was looking worn the last time we were on her. Looked great!

Hi,

I cruised aboard the Caribbean Princess in early September 2014 and was pleased with the ship. Considering that the ship is 10 years old, I thought the public areas and my stateroom were in good shape. I would not hesitate to cruise on this ship again in the future.

Chuck

Agree...I'd go on again tomorrow. We did the Royal and months later the CB, however the experience was still great.