Question about the steakhouse

jesscruiser

Food taste's vary considerably from one person to another. I have a friend who thinks only rich folks can eat at a high class restaurant like Outback. A nice night on the town for him and his wife consists of a stop at Taco Bell and a 6-pack. He would probably give you a different opinion of the steakhouse than I would. The only way to really know is to try it your self.

Last time my wife and I had dinner at the steakhouse on the Splendor by the time we got thru with a couple of drinks and tips to the wait staff (I know you don't have to) our total was around $130 - $140. The 2 of us can do Ruth's Chris for not a whole lot more.

Food taste's vary considerably from one person to another. I have a friend who thinks only rich folks can eat at a high class restaurant like Outback. A nice night on the town for him and his wife consists of a stop at Taco Bell and a 6-pack. He would probably give you a different opinion of the steakhouse than I would. The only way to really know is to try it your self.

Last time my wife and I had dinner at the steakhouse on the Splendor by the time we got thru with a couple of drinks and tips to the wait staff (I know you don't have to) our total was around $130 - $140. The 2 of us can do Ruth's Chris for not a whole lot more.

140 is inexpensive! I've spent about 8 times that eating before! I am looking forward to the steakhouse though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

140 is inexpensive! I've spent about 8 times that eating before! I am looking forward to the steakhouse though!

Wow, that's a big bill ($1,100) for just 2 folks. Even the Everest Room in Chicago is not that high.

And yeah, I think $70 a head is pretty high for cruise ship food.

Edited by travler27

Wow, that's a big bill ($1,100) for just 2 folks. Even the Everest Room in Chicago is not that high.

Lol it really wasn't the food, it was the wine and champagne we ordered.

I just ate at the steakhouse on the Liberty last week and to be honest I like Outback better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Lol, well I am sure I will like it no matter what! At least I have idea now of what to expect lol.

My husband and I are foodies and it's, hands down, the best steakhouse we've ever dined. Well worth the price.

My soon to be husband (yay) is a big foodie. He has eaten at all kinds of restaurants all over the world. Yet I swear the thing he is most excited about for this cruise is the guys burgers lol. I am hoping he enjoys the steakhouse though. I'd like to eat there on our wedding night, and I was thinking it would be the nicest place to eat that night on the ship! I hope it is as good as you say it is!!! I am so excited!

Food is good but remember you are paying $ 35 on top of a very nice meal you have already paid for in the DR.

Based on equipment they use on the ship do not think it is possible to get a steak as good as ones we have had at Capital Grille.

I've never had what I would call "a very nice meal" in the MDR. Meals ranging from terrible to mediocre to average, yes. When it comes to steak, the ones you get in the MDR are nowhere as good as the ones in the steakhouse. The last one I tried was inedible (overcooked, tough, dry, and tasted like a steak you'd buy at a super-discount grocery store). I will say that the Indian food in the MDR can be pretty good, and sometimes, it is the MDR's only saving grace.

It's $35/person, not $70. If you're paying $70/person, it's because you're buying alcohol, and that's a fee you'll pay regardless of whether you're in the steakhouse or the MDR.

It's $35/person, not $70. If you're paying $70/person, it's because you're buying alcohol, and that's a fee you'll pay regardless of whether you're in the steakhouse or the MDR.

Yeah, you might want to read some of the earlier posts instead of just jumping into the middle of the thread.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I are foodies and it's, hands down, the best steakhouse we've ever dined. Well worth the price.

I am totally not stalking you, but now that I saw you post in the Roll Call for this week, I noticed your name on this post, too, and was curious - are you doing the Chef's Table on the Ecstasy? I am. Am looking forward to it. Wondered if you'd done this in the past and what you thought of it.

Sherry

We have never been to the steakhouse before. I wanted to see if anyone has ever waited till you are on the ship to make a reservation? We are sailing on the Dream.

I am wondering, because our kids are cruising with us. I would like to make sure we have a reservation during the time that Camp Carnival has activities, so they can go to that while we eat dinner at the steakhouse.

We have never been to the steakhouse before. I wanted to see if anyone has ever waited till you are on the ship to make a reservation? We are sailing on the Dream.

I am wondering, because our kids are cruising with us. I would like to make sure we have a reservation during the time that Camp Carnival has activities, so they can go to that while we eat dinner at the steakhouse.

On our cruise on the Glory is the only time we made reservations in the steakhouse, and we did it on the ship, on the 1st day. When we went it didn't seem to busy either. That was along time ago though, but well worth it. I would be concerned on a boat as big of the dream waiting too long. Unfortunately for DW and I, we are sailing with kids, and probably won't be able to make reservations until we are onbaord as well.

On our cruise on the Glory is the only time we made reservations in the steakhouse, and we did it on the ship, on the 1st day. When we went it didn't seem to busy either. That was along time ago though, but well worth it. I would be concerned on a boat as big of the dream waiting too long. Unfortunately for DW and I, we are sailing with kids, and probably won't be able to make reservations until we are onbaord as well.

Thanks for the information. I was just looking at some sample schedules for Camp carnival. It does seem that they have a bunch of activities starting at 7. So we could go with the kids and let them eat on the lido at 6. Then drop them off at Camp Carnival...before heading to our reservation.

We have 6 weeks till our cruise, so we still have some time to decide if we need to reserve it before we sail.

I was on the Breeze in December and ate at the Steakhouse 3 times. IMHO, the question isn't comparing the food there to a land based restaurant but rather comparing the Steakhouse experience to the MDR. The food was MUCH better, the service was excellent and the atmosphere was very relaxing. Well worth the money!

WELL above Outback or Longhorn. But not quite Ruth Chris.

DEFINITELY worth the $35pp charge. One of the best steaks I have ever eaten.

Try it at least once. Yummy!:D:D

Enjoy!

Completely agree with this reply! We found it worth the fee to offer something different. It's not high end but well above a longhorn, etc experience.

Need opinions! Is the steakhouse food comparable to that of a fine dining restaurant or more like an outback ( not saying that in a negative way cause I do love outback lol). Just wanted to know what to expect. Didn't want to expect Wolfgang or 32 when it is more along the lines of longhorn or outback. Going to eat there either way lol.

The grade is better than an Outback, but the experience is not as good as a Morton's or a Ruth's Chris.