What is Christmas like onboard a HAL ship?

Susie51

We DO have mashed potatoes. Usually with sausages, meat pies or lamb chops. Brown gravy or tomato sauce on top and people often add to their mash things like garlic, pepper, parmesan or shallots for extra flavour.

Yes, bangers and mash, yummy, with mashed swede and onion gravy.

Most of us in the UK usually have turkey, not goose. Some families have roast beef if they dislike poultry. True, never mashed potatoes, always roasted plus boiled baby new potatoes, brussel sprouts, roasted parsnips, butternut squash, cauliflower cheese, either frozen garden or petit pois peas. We always have sausage plus sage and onion stuffing which we now cook separately, not stuffed into the turkey (easier to ensure meat is cooked through).

Dessert is usually Christmas pudding with either custard, brandy/rum sauce - never bread pudding. Most of the younger generation dislike the heavy pudding so there's usually something chocolatey and creamy for them.

And when are you sending out the invitations to next year's feast?

I'll be happy to come!!!!!

Thanks for the detailed menu!

Merry Christmas!

I've never spent Christmas on board a ship. Does the MDR serve a traditional turkey dinner with all of the trimmings?

I took an NCL cruise in Dec. and had bread pudding. Ohhh, I miss HAL's bread pudding. Please tell me it is still the same with the yummy sauce.

Enjoy your holiday!

We got back today from our Xmas/NY cruise on the Oosterdam and sadly xmas was not what we had hoped. It was VERY understated and no big meal like we are used to (we have turkey, ham, pork) they did how pudding but wasn't great. For Xmas lunch we had chicken pie and inlaws had pasta cabonara. This was the options in the MDR :(

We always have sausage plus sage and onion stuffing which we now cook separately, not stuffed into the turkey (easier to ensure meat is cooked through).

Dessert is usually Christmas pudding with either custard, brandy/rum sauce - never bread pudding. Most of the younger generation dislike the heavy pudding so there's usually something chocolatey and creamy for them.

Chris - I found out that they call stuffing 'bread pudding' in America....... Not what we would have as a dessert :eek:

We got back today from our Xmas/NY cruise on the Oosterdam and sadly xmas was not what we had hoped. It was VERY understated and no big meal like we are used to (we have turkey, ham, pork) they did how pudding but wasn't great. For Xmas lunch we had chicken pie and inlaws had pasta cabonara. This was the options in the MDR :(

What puts me off a Xmas cruise. Maybe P&O or Cunard would be more satisfying for Aussies & Brits?????

Yep. What we call bread'n'butter pudding with sultanas in is for dessert.

What we call stuffing = 'bread pudding'.......??????

Never in all my life, and in all my travels, have I ever heard of "stuffing" called "bread pudding". I have heard of "stuffing" called "dressing", as it changes when it is prepared in the meat or outside of it.

But "stuffing" and "dressing" are savory, not sweet. Sometimes you will find a stuffing with corn bread as a base, instead of white or wheat breads, but there is still a savory flavor.

Bread pudding is a sweet, and a pudding.

Just to confuse even further, we have 2 similar sounding desserts - bread pudding and also bread and butter pudding. Bread pudding is firm and can be cut into squares and the other is runny with custard.

I'm not keen on either, prefer chocolatey desserts.

Edited by chrispb

I've just checked in with my friend from Northern Ireland and he says they call it stuffing and certainly not bread pudding. They just had turkey for their Christmas dinner and it was served with stuffing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk