Carnival Sunshine tips and secrets

ginka

Thanks !! We were just on the Sunshine in Jan and didn't know this secret. We'll be sure to check it out when we sail her again this spring.

BTW ... we really liked the Sunshine and would sail her again. The staff was excellent. We printed out deck plans ahead of time and studied them so we didn't have problems getting lost.

Can you tell me about how you printed deck plans out please? Ones I've seen would need to go into a book!

Yes, the Havana bar serves a small free selection of breakfast and lunch items. The coconut breakfast pastries are delish. For lunch, they serve tasty Cuban sandwiches, pork or beef empanadas, and a dessert item. This is located on the back side of the bar, next to the right hand beverage station. Tip: the Havana guava sauce is good with the chicken tenders on the lunch buffet.

Are the Cubans pressed?

We are also sailing this ship in a couple months, The beer next to the pizza near the pool deck is going to be a favorite :)

I also understand that the " Shake Spot " is pretty good from what i read ,will also try a spiked one, just to try it out, also we will most likely eat at the Italian restaurant, and at the Asian place, i hear it is free for lunch, true ?? Can you just by a couple of sushi rolls ? We dont eat the uncooked sushi rolls, the California roll and the smoked are real good -- do they have those ??

I love reading all of the tips...thanks! I just booked our next cruise on Sunshine for August. Sooooo far away! I do have a question: My oldest will be 19yo when we cruise and he's worried there isn't going to be anything for him to do on the ship, since he's too old for the teen clubs. He's not interested in Serenity. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!!

I love reading all of the tips...thanks! I just booked our next cruise on Sunshine for August. Sooooo far away! I do have a question: My oldest will be 19yo when we cruise and he's worried there isn't going to be anything for him to do on the ship, since he's too old for the teen clubs. He's not interested in Serenity. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!!

Is it possible for him to bring a friend along? My son brought a couple of friends along with us when he was about 17 and they had a great time. Met lots of kids for everywhere! Some still keep in touch!

I remember seeing some meeting times listed for 19-20 year olds. We cruised over the holidays, when there were many guests in that age range, but I would think it would be offered in August also. He should be able to meet some people his age there. The Sunshine is also full of things to do to prevent boredom -- decent water slides, the sports deck with basketball, pool tables, foosball, corn hole (bean bag toss), etc. The Red Frog Pub also offers darts and table shuffle board.

He's at a tough age ... too old for the teen club and too young for Serenity (21 and over). I don't have any that age, but I have seen on the boards that they are working on something for that age group.

My son is 19 as well and is traveling on the Sunshine on the May 30th Journey cruise with us. There's a lot to do and they can usually find their people pretty quickly. Our son loves the historic sites, so we make sure we visit as many as we can, whole still providing the beach time that our 15 year old daughter desires :).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm not that age, but I am a big kid. I think the Sports Bar and Red Frog Pub would be great places for him the hang out. Video games at the Sports bar, and we loved foosball and shuffleboard in the Pub.

I loved the Beer self serve stations on the Lido deck. It said it was 4.00 for Red Frog Beer, but we always got charged 4.67 or 5.00. But it was cheaper than the 6.98 the same beer cost me in the Red Frog Pub!.

Also tried the Sushi restaurant, it was really good and cost me less than 10 bucks.

The towel animal invasion one of the last mornings of the cruise was so fun to see! I'm in my 50s and I still loved seeing the towel animals all over the lido deck.

Comedy lounge is really small. Get in line about 25 minutes early to get a seat where you can see the comedian. But they do have TVs to watch if you can't see the comedian directly.

The first few days sit in the back of the lido near the havana bar, people haven't found it yet and its a nice area to sit. Also is where the omelette stations are.

They were REALLY GOOD about picking stuff up on Serenity if people were gone too long. YAY CARNIVAL on this one!

I would go on the Sunshine again and hope to do so!

We are also sailing this ship in a couple months, The beer next to the pizza near the pool deck is going to be a favorite :)

I also understand that the " Shake Spot " is pretty good from what i read ,will also try a spiked one, just to try it out, also we will most likely eat at the Italian restaurant, and at the Asian place, i hear it is free for lunch, true ?? Can you just by a couple of sushi rolls ? We dont eat the uncooked sushi rolls, the California roll and the smoked are real good -- do they have those ??

"Free" for lunch were

.....the Deli and Pizza places at the back of the Lido,

.....Guy's Burgers out by the pool (eat while it's hot yummm)

.....a Taco/Salsa bar out there too.

.....JiJi which has stir fry where you pick what you want in it and the Italian place where at lunch you pick the pasta, sauce and protein as well as Cesar salad and rolls both in the Havana Bar area

.....Havana bar which has Cuban sandwiches and some other goodies.

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone! It's funny, I actually tried to convince him to big a friend or two along. The problem is, they are all in college, just my son, and tend to work during the summer. I think I'm more worried about him being bored than he is. He tends to make friends easily, but 19 is indeed an awkward age to cruise. Oh well, more mommy-son time (much to his dismay)!! :p:D

Edited by mibarron