Carnival getting rid of show bands

papadewey

Wasn't empty on my glory cruise. Each show was packed.

I figure I can't complain when I probably spent 2 bucks to see it. If I want a real show I will pay 100 bucks and go see one. Makes no difference to me if its a band you can't see or recorded music. Either way it's a half dozen dancers and singers going thru the same set of songs. But I feel I got my 2 bucks worth either way.

I don't know....I enjoy the bands. I like things on my cruises that I'm not accustomed to at home. So a band at dinner would be one of them, acoustic guitar with drinks (but that's just about everywhere), band with live music for shows makes it more special IMO...

Our first cruise 7 or so years ago had a pretty good reggae band that was fun to watch...but those went away and then there was the 2 guys and a keyboard thing that was sort of good, but not really...

I think what it comes down to is people cruise for a variety of reasons. Some like to bake in the sun, some gamble, some are there just for the ports, etc...we just like a little bit of everything...So i'd say to those who say "well we don't care about the music" remember, many do.

I understand carnivals move here, they have to keep thier prices down while they continue to attract new cruisers. If people dont like the direction carnival is going, they should just hop on another cruise line. Its disapointing but carnival looks like it is trying to stay in its niche.there is only so much time on a ship but to each their own as far as what everybody does with their on the ship time. For experiencing different destinations, carnival is a great value and we are looking forward to sailing in the future.

Wasn't empty on my glory cruise. Each show was packed.

Glory was the ship my co-worker saw the playlist production on and he and his GF enjoyed it as well. I have yet to see playlist, but I'm willing to keep an open mind until I see them. IMHO a live band isn't going to make or break the shows for me on Carnival. In fact to us the music is all background noise. It is the singers and dancers we are watching...and while I have been surprised with a few good ones, most of the shows we have seen on Carnival, all with the live band so far, have been mediocre at best. Even if they had good dancers and singers, the choreography was usually not good at all. With DD(17) being a dancer there was a lot of critiquing going on in her corner during a lot of the shows and she has said more than once that if she became a dancer on a cruise ship it would not be Carnival because the choreography was so bad.

A happy medium would be nice....

What is a happy medium? They can't please everybody as evidenced by these boards. There will always be people that won't please with something. There are things I don't like on Carnival and when I want that something on a cruise, I will sail a ship that has it....even if it is a different line. It is not the cruise lines responsibility to please me or you individually in every aspect of our cruise. It would be impossible for them to do that with the thousands of customers they serve daily. They offer what they feel will appeal to most of their target customer base at the best cost. It is my and your responsibility to choose the ship that fits our wants the best. I guess it is your choice to complain on a board like this that your wants aren't being met. Seems kind of selfish to me. I'd rather not waste my time complaining, but rather do something constructive like finding a ship with will meet most of my wants for my next vacation. Will it have everything I want....probably not, but compromise is the name of the game in almost everything in life.

Glory was the ship my co-worker saw the playlist production on and he and his GF enjoyed it as well. I have yet to see playlist, but I'm willing to keep an open mind until I see them. IMHO a live band isn't going to make or break the shows for me on Carnival. In fact to us the music is all background noise. It is the singers and dancers we are watching...and while I have been surprised with a few good ones, most of the shows we have seen on Carnival, all with the live band so far, have been mediocre at best. Even if they had good dancers and singers, the choreography was usually not good at all. With DD(17) being a dancer there was a lot of critiquing going on in her corner during a lot of the shows and she has said more than once that if she became a dancer on a cruise ship it would not be Carnival because the choreography was so bad.

On my last cruise the female vocalist was awful. I just found the shows to be boring and forgettable. With the playlist production shows I actually wanted to dance along. I remember one of the shows ended with the dancers dancing off stage into the aisles and actually leading the audience out in to the atrium for a dance party and it was a great great time.

Quite a few people have reported that NCL and RCCL have improved their shows.

Did our first Princess earlier this year and thought overall they had better entertainment.

Will be doing our second later this year and will see on a different ship.

your name isn't stu is it??:)

I had to give it some thought, at first I thought this was an easy issue, who wouldn't want show bands? Do they add to the overall enjoyment, yes.

BUT - We can't afford to be in a balcony room every cruise especially on something like the Spa deck on most other cruise lines. And ironically the breakdown given of percentage of time on board actually convinced me if it keeps prices well below other cruise lines I don't mind.

You may be on board ship 85% of the time, but as others have pointed out do I care all the times spent in the room, sleeping, having breakfast delivered, getting ready for dinner, at dinner, in the comedy club etc etc. No, that is a huge percentage of the time.

So somewhat reluctantly I can see the decision. I do miss a live band with the main shows, and as I have previously posted I too have seen those shows not be what they once were. Saying all that, our last cruise on the Breeze was wonderful overall. So they still are doing something right! :D

Edited by Tampa8

I absolutely agree, love my grandkids. There is no way to consider Hasbro to be of high quality entertainment for older guests and adults.

Unfortunately, the day has come we see guest provided entertainment in place of production shows. Gone are the nightly shows and instead, we have Game Show Mania, Marriage Match, Hasbro and Carnival Legends in the main theater.[/quote

Agree whole heartedly regarding the nightly entertainment.]We went on Sunshine to the Mediterranean and left each time after entertainment began, if I wanted to see all the comedy (adults only) or magic show, would not be viewing them on a cruise ship. The laser light show is not my style either. The atrium had tin sounding live music -not sure if it was acoustics or that I just thought it was the same chords being strummed. The piano bar room was jammed pack every night - what does this suggest? Certainly not the enetrtainment that was available on previous Carnival cruises.

I absolutely agree, love my grandkids. There is no way to consider Hasbro to be of high quality entertainment for older guests and adults.

Unfortunately, the day has come we see guest provided entertainment in place of production shows. Gone are the nightly shows and instead, we have Game Show Mania, Marriage Match, Hasbro and Carnival Legends in the main theater.[/quote

Agree whole heartedly regarding the nightly entertainment.]We went on Sunshine to the Mediterranean and left each time after entertainment began, if I wanted to see all the comedy (adults only) or magic show, would not be viewing them on a cruise ship. The laser light show is not my style either. The atrium had tin sounding live music -not sure if it was acoustics or that I just thought it was the same chords being strummed. The piano bar room was jammed pack every night - what does this suggest? Certainly not the enetrtainment that was available on previous Carnival cruises.

They used to do game show mania before evening entertainment and now see they do it AS evening entertainment. That stinks.

Comedy and magic shows have been good entertainment in the past and saw a good magic show on Miracle a few weeks ago. They do comedy in lounge so that is a good thing.

We stopped going to legends and guest talent show some time ago.

I believe Gerry Cahill left the company about a month ago. For the record it really doesn't bother me a bit. I don't cruise for live bands. I cruise for the destinations and the fun that I have with my wife.

I think this was the first reply and I agree wholeheartedly.

I go on cruise vacations to enjoy the warm weather, visit new and interesting ports and to have fun with my wife, and kids if we bring them.

Our first Carnival cruise was in 1991 and I really don't remember anything about the quality of the shows, or even if we went. I don't make a point of going to shows and if they removed the shows, I likely wouldn't notice. I might not notice if they removed all the live entertainment, for that matter.

If we go on a regular vacation, say to Hawaii, we don't typically seek out passive entertainment. We might go to a movie, or we might not. It isn't important on a regular vacation so it isn't important just because the vacation is on a cruise ship.

The fact that you spend 86% of your time on board is a red herring. Others have pointed out that you are sleeping and eating for probably about half that time. And if you don't really care about live entertainment, then what does it matter anyway?

I respect the fact that people are passionate about things that matter to them. I also respect the fact that everyone is different. This is a discussion board so it is fair game for someone to say, "That isn't very important to me."

Stu doesnt post anymore on cc, I am Sheila his wife. Do we know you?

no you don't know me. I have chatted a few times with stu.:) it just sounded like stu because he likes the entertainment a lot also. he has been very disappointed with the carnival shows.:)

i do not like the playlist shows at all. since cruising since 1991, we can tell the difference. the newer cruisers don't know any difference.:) tell stu hi.

no you don't know me. I have chatted a few times with stu.:) it just sounded like stu because he likes the entertainment a lot also. he has been very disappointed with the carnival shows.:)

i do not like the playlist shows at all. since cruising since 1991, we can tell the difference. the newer cruisers don't know any difference.:) tell stu hi.

He says hi back. Did our first Princess cruise earlier this year and their entertainment in main lounge is closer to what Carnival used to be.

Princess will be seeing more of us

He says hi back. Did our first Princess cruise earlier this year and their entertainment in main lounge is closer to what Carnival used to be.

Princess will be seeing more of us

after our elation cruise feb. 2nd. we will consider another line.:) we have 16 cruises with carnival.:)

The number was meant to show that the ship is the destination. The fact you mentioned it was a low budget cruise line, does not mean you should remove live entertainment. Contrary to popular believe, you can get on other cruise lines for close to the same price which means that Carnival really needs to add entertainment back to the cruise line. The last I checked, people still go to live entertainment and would rather see things "live" than on a shiny silver CD.

You are correct. If the entertainment was not important to most cruises then getting into the shows would be much easier. Sometimes there is hardly and standing room.

What is a happy medium? They can't please everybody as evidenced by these boards. There will always be people that won't please with something. There are things I don't like on Carnival and when I want that something on a cruise, I will sail a ship that has it....even if it is a different line. It is not the cruise lines responsibility to please me or you individually in every aspect of our cruise. It would be impossible for them to do that with the thousands of customers they serve daily. They offer what they feel will appeal to most of their target customer base at the best cost. It is my and your responsibility to choose the ship that fits our wants the best. I guess it is your choice to complain on a board like this that your wants aren't being met. Seems kind of selfish to me. I'd rather not waste my time complaining, but rather do something constructive like finding a ship with will meet most of my wants for my next vacation. Will it have everything I want....probably not, but compromise is the name of the game in almost everything in life.
Honestly, I really agree with you in the end. I understand the bottom line. And I'm not leaving Carnival - there are too many other features I like. But I don't mind saying I'm going to miss the shows with live music. And when it comes to the bottom line, Carnival won't be getting my money in the show lounge with what they're passing off as entertainment there. Edited by nybumpkin

Members,

When I talk about show bands, that is what I am talking about during a theater show. I have cruised on Princess, and it canned music during the theater shows can not compare to the live band that I heard during my last cruise. Omar and Miracles ( Currently on Carnival Miarcle) bring a brightness and ambience to the show , a cd could never bring. Maybe an example might be why people are going back to listening to records as opposed to CD's.

One person mentioned, they want a cheap cruise experience, well I like a bargain to, but I would not cheapen it to the point, that all they served was peanuts and soda.

Doesn't anyone care about the quality of the cruise experience, just the price they pay?

papadewey

I don't think your last sentence is fair. I don't shop at Target expecting to purchase Gucci. I sail on Carnival because I think it's fun, it's reasonably priced and fits within my budget. I have sailed on Princess and I love it, but it's not my cup of tea.

You have and are entitled to your opinion but you can't (borderline) criticize others for the live bands not keeping people up at night because it bugs you so much.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hardly. If they cut what I care about I will simply move to a cruise line that still has what I want at the price I like. No need to complain about it here or anywhere else. And please don't bring up loyalty programs. I don't cruise for the program, I cruise for the cruise (which can be seen from my past cruises list).

Exactly!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums