language barrier

kroeni

We (Germans) are very interested to take a cruise at the new Britannia round UK. We like to travel through UK and like the British culture. That' s the reason why we want cruise with PO. Do you think not speaking English as fluently as you do will impair our vacation? Will it be only half the fun?

Kroeni unfortunately I would have to disagree with the previous posting. My sister and brother-in law have travelled on the Queen Mary 2 twice and enjoyed the company of passengers from many countries, in fact they said that they would describe it as an international ship. They have also cruised with P&O on two occasions and commented that they hadn't enjoyed it quite so much because it was "too British" with very few passengers from elsewhere in the world. Having cruised with P&O myself many times I can't disagree with their comments.

Edited by AchileLauro

Kroeni unfortunately I would have to disagree with the previous posting. My sister and brother-in law have travelled on the Queen Mary 2 twice and enjoyed the company of passengers from many countries, in fact they said that they would describe it as an international ship. They have also cruised with P&O on two occasions and commented that they hadn't enjoyed it quite so much because it was "too British" with very few passengers from elsewhere in the world. Having cruised with P&O myself many times I can't disagree with their comments.

This is an odd answer to the question.

Kroeni likes the British culture and likes to travel in UK. Therefore one would assume that P and O would be a good choice.

QM2 does have an international selection of passengers- particularly many Germans on some transatlantic crossings. We enjoyed that very much as English passengers but perhaps for an 'English' experience, a closer look at P and O would be a good idea.

Kroeni unfortunately I would have to disagree with the previous posting.

I cannot agree with this. Having being a "non-brit" on both FO (Fred Olsen=British non stop)and QM2 there is no problem. On the contrary its a great ice breaker for conversation etc. I'm going on PO next august and expect it will go well. I would recommend though a table for two if you get tired of talking English all the time at meal times (mdr). I do this.

Oslo

Edited by docresass

I think a P&O cruise would be a very British experience whatever its foibles and perfect if you are wanting to sample British culture. If you are friendly and willing to get into conversation with people, I think you would be fine and would not feel out of it.

As regards the entertainment, you might find the musical events and the Headliners shows easier to understand and enjoy rather than films/ talks or comedians.

I disagree with a table for two though - I think it would be good to get a table for 6 or 8 in the Main Dining Room on Fixed Dining so that you would get the time and opportunity to get to know the people on your table by dining with them every evening. And you could always have an evening off this if you chose to and go to a special restaurant or the self service to get a break.

You would be doing freestyle dining for all the other meals in the day and would have every chance then to have your quiet table for two, to give you a rest from talking English - Or alternatively to meet a wider range of people by joining different tables.

I have been a Brit abroad myself living in Germany, so I do understand the need to have a rest from the language to rest the brain for a bit.

Edited by Scriv

I think you would enjoy it a lot. I'm sure lots of Brits would very much like some other nationalities on board the ship and from my experience, your English will be 1000 times better than any of our German. Also, the conversation will at least be different at dinner!

go with an open mind and enjoy it :-)

Edited by jeanlyon

If you want the British product P & O is for you, we love it for that reason, try it if you don't like it you don't go again.

As for language barrier's some of our strong dialects can confuse even us so don't worry about it you will pick up the thread of the conversations, I do and I am hard of hearing.

I would happily dine with you in an evening I am sure you would bring a refreshing change to the conversation.

As some have said, you may not understand the comedians. Neither, I would say, would you understand the ones on Princess. Some of the US comedy goes right over our heads.

We went to a cabaret show in Berlin once. The singer sang in English, a lot of well known songs but in between she told jokes in German. The audience loved it. We did not understand her but it did not detract from the enjoyment of the show. I think we were the only British in the audience.

We (Germans) are very interested to take a cruise at the new Britannia round UK. We like to travel through UK and like the British culture. That' s the reason why we want cruise with PO. Do you think not speaking English as fluently as you do will impair our vacation? Will it be only half the fun?

Hi Kröni,

the language can be a barrier for things like dining and games. but otherwise shouldn't be a Problem for you. It can make you feel a bit isolated if you can't follow the conversation at dinner. It depends on your Level of language really.

We usually go with freedom dining as Mrs mds143 has a difficult time following the conversations at the dining table (and gets a bit fed up of saying WHAT all the time). We generally have a table for 2 so that we can converse in german without Feeling we're being rude (to our fellow passangers) although on the formal nights we opt for a larger table, which is good practice for her.

We do share a table for afternoon tea (which you will love by the way) since it doesn't take so long as dinner.

Some german friends of ours (she's an english teacher from Germany) cruised around the UK on a princess ship this year and had a great time.

I don't think there's any real difference (language-wise) between the American ships and P&O, so I'm sure you'll love it. Well, except for the Food, obviously.:D

You may be a Little dissapointed that there are no german wines on offer :eek: (there wern't on our last 2 P&O Cruises). But you will get the full British experience and to be honest the food will probably be better than you would experience on land in the UK.

I think you'll love the Entertainment and hate the commedians.

I think you'll love the fact, that your fellow travellers are so polite and so friendly and that there's always something to do on board.

Regards

Mike