How many cabins/suites are still available

baz48

I read on a post here a while ago where someone quoted exactly how many balcony and suite cabins were still available on their cruise at that time. Is there an easy way to find that, or does one have to do a "test" booking and go through and count each section of each deck?

I read on a post here a while ago where someone quoted exactly how many balcony and suite cabins were still available on their cruise at that time. Is there an easy way to find that, or does one have to do a "test" booking and go through and count each section of each deck?

No easy way, you have to do it as you said. BUT, the guarantee cabin bookings haven't been accounted or yet in what you see doing the test booking.

Terry

To give you the short answer there is no way to tell.

Sometimes groups of cabins are held by TA's and others so that information is not readily available to the public or even other TA's.

Mike:)

So, even though the Princess website lists the cabins I'm interested in choosing from as SOLD, my TA may be able to do the booking when I go to her once the finances are under control on the 23rd? Yes, I am eagerly counting down the days to tick Cruise Deposit Payment and International Travel Insurance purchased off my list!

I remember reading here on Cruise Critic to check with your TA before assuming you cannot book, just had a fright when I went to the website for a drool!

Crochetcruise :cool:

So, even though the Princess website lists the cabins I'm interested in choosing from as SOLD, my TA may be able to do the booking when I go to her once the finances are under control on the 23rd? Yes, I am eagerly counting down the days to tick Cruise Deposit Payment and International Travel Insurance purchased off my list!

I remember reading here on Cruise Critic to check with your TA before assuming you cannot book, just had a fright when I went to the website for a drool!

Crochetcruise :cool:

Yes it is possible. I just recently booked a cabin that was showing as unavailable on the Princess site through my TA.

There are several factors in play that affect availability so one really can't tell until you are ready to commit.

Mike:)

I check on my cruises all the time...it is easier on Princess than most lines because Princess' website shows all of the UNASSIGNED cabins...What I do is a dummy booking, then counting category by category, section by section deck by deck...Much easier to do toward the end when there aren't many cabins left...

But, realize I said unassigned...not unsold...

Princess books a lot of unassigned bookings..."to be assigned prior to sailing"...

So, there are really a lot less "unsold" then show as "unassigned"...

Also note that the total is affected by "courtesy holds"...people go through the booking process, put a hold on a specific cabin, then drop away without putting down a deposit. These cabins will not show as unassigned, the pop back on again...

Never count on this running total in order to delay booking "because there are so many cabins left"...your count may show 150 cabins left, but you don't know that Princess is holding 140 unassigned bookings...meaning they are really only 5ten bookings away from being sold out...

I find the count interesting when I'm in the situation Im in today...I have an unassigned booking for a cruise only 6 days away...My count shows only 155 unassigned cabins--5 suites and 145 balconies. But, I am guessing they are holding a LOT of unassigned inside guarantee bookings. Why? Because they've been selling them cheap even though the inside count has been at zero for several weeks. They actually cut off inside guarantee sales a couple of weeks ago. Does that mean that folks like me with inside guarantee bookings will likely be assigned balcony cabins? Not necessarily--they could upgrade some folks in assigned inside or OV cabins and open up those cabins for assignments...so, there is no guarantee...

The whole count thing is really just to get an idea as to where they are...but in the end it means little...

Last cruise, last month on the Golden, they had a couple hundred unassigned cabins about two weeks before sailing...including 28 suites...and they all filled up quickly over a couple of days...They didn't sell 200 cabins in two days, they merely started assigning all of those guarantee bookings...and, likely, a lot of folks got upgrades to those suites...

BTW, just prior two that massive bunch of upgrades! they tried to fill those suites by offering upsells...From what I could tell by the timing of the offers and changes in the unassigned count, very few people bit on the upsell offer...

Edited by Bruin Steve

...Last cruise, last month on the Golden, they had a couple hundred unassigned cabins about two weeks before sailing...including 28 suites...and they all filled up quickly over a couple of days...They didn't sell 200 cabins in two days, they merely started assigning all of those guarantee bookings...and, likely, a lot of folks got upgrades to those suites...

BTW, just prior two that massive bunch of upgrades! they tried to fill those suites by offering upsells...From what I could tell by the timing of the offers and changes in the unassigned count, very few people bit on the upsell offer...

One thing I would really be interested in knowing, since IIRC from another thread you have a contact within Princess (or retired?), is if requesting a meta only upgrade gives you a better chance of a meta than just the default of being open to ANY upgrade?

Some try and count cabins avaliable on the Princess site.

This is not accurate as there are cabins held back by Princess and TA's.

So no there is no accurate way to tell.

Some try and count cabins avaliable on the Princess site.

This is not accurate as there are cabins held back by Princess and TA's.

So no there is no accurate way to tell.

My TA told me this also. She said most blocks of cabins held by TAs are released by final payment if not sold. But guarantees often continue being sold well after final payment, so it is hard to tell what is really available at any point in the process, unless you have an inside contact at Princess.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I check on my cruises all the time...it is easier on Princess than most lines because Princess' website shows all of the UNASSIGNED cabins...What I do is a dummy booking, then counting category by category, section by section deck by deck...Much easier to do toward the end when there aren't many cabins left...

But, realize I said unassigned...not unsold...

Princess books a lot of unassigned bookings..."to be assigned prior to sailing"...

So, there are really a lot less "unsold" then show as "unassigned"...

Thanks Steve. I believe it was a post of yours that I remember. Thanks for explaining how you come to your numbers.