My shortest review ever! Imagination 2 day to Ensenada 12/18/14.

gapearl

W:DW. That was short!!

Well not THAT short. lol

Boarding was most likely delayed until 12:15 because of the unusually high number of Platinum and Diamond guests. As this was a free cruise offer for Platinum, this results in a lot of staterooms that needed to be ready upon embarkation and the deck supervisors may not have been ready. Princess doesn't usually start boarding around 12 to accommodate staterooms being ready.

Do you know how many guests had Faster to the Fun? We are told by Carnival that it is limited and based on the number of Platinum and Diamond guests onboard. However, this wasn't the case on the Carnival Sunshine Transatlantic with the ship mostly comprised of all Platinum/Diamond. They released three sets of 15 staterooms. On a TA cruise, nearly everyone has a higher level of elite status.

I didn't even think about that being the reason boarding was delayed. I figured it was a customs issue from the previous cruise. I'm not sure how many FTTFs there were. The couple boarding in front of us had a FTTF card, but I don't recall seeing any others. Then again, I wasn't really paying that much attention either.

I'm not sure how many FTTFs there were. The couple boarding in front of us had a FTTF card, but I don't recall seeing any others. Then again, I wasn't really paying that much attention either.

No worries. I'm honestly just curious if they are limiting it based on the amount of Diamonds and Platinums. I would think a transatlantic and a free cruise for Platinums could give us some insight. After hearing about the Sunshine Transatlantic, I honestly don't know if I can believe what Carnival is trying to spoonfeed us.

Edited by Disconnections

I know what you mean about wearing a coat to board the ship it does seem strange...but then we left from Seattle at the end of May going to Alaska. Looking forward to hearing how Ensenada turned out in December.

Quick question - Was the group in front of the Captain's Lounge only Platium or did they also include suite and FTTF passengers as well?

I could see needing a coat in Seattle. I want to do an Alaskan cruise, but would need an additional suitcase for jackets and coats and boots. lol Ensenada was in the 60's. I took my jacket but didn't need it at all. It was very pleasant outside. I'm pretty sure the Captain's Lounge was for all of the above. It was small and crowded and we had nowhere to sit so we left as soon as we got our sail & sign cards and waited outside.

Thanks for reviewing your cruise, and sharing your photos.

You're welcome, thanks for reading.

The BBQ chicken flatbread was DELISH. Next time!

I also thought the steak tacos were fantastic. I looooove tacos so I gambled and ordered them on formal night - I'd take those over prime rib or lobster any night! :D

Glad you had fun. We'll be doing the January two-nighter, so your info is helpful - thank you!

It looked good! The girl at my table who ordered it offered me some, but again, I ordered 3 apps and didn't want to be greedy. haha :cool: Heather said the tacos were good. I tasted the chicken chow mein and it was really salty. I wasn't a fan of it at all. I was happy to see they kept the strawberry bisque. Have fun on your trip!

Thanks for the review. I knew you could do it, lol.

We were at the opposite end of the ship, U241, aft facing OV. DH won't do IS so we had to spend $20 for the window. We received the $50 ($25/pp) OBC and our Shareholder's credit. Then we received a refund of port fees. :p

We arrived at 1:30 and had no wait checking in at the Little Building (when did it start being called the Captain's Lounge?), in our cabin before 2. Over 200 pax checked thru the Little Building. 4 pages, when they normally have 1.

Those red makeup stains are impossible to take out. Nothing can be done short of replacing the panels.

Long Beach is very good at catching liquor. Going thru security there was a guy trying to get a bottle of tequila thru. Not hidden or anything. Because it was open they wouldn't let him bring it back to his car!

In Ensenada we did the same as you, we ate and drank. We walked into town, walking off the ship food. On the way we stopped at the Regional History Museum on Gastellum between Ave Primera (Lopez) and the Malecon

I was happy to see the porthole wasn't any extra since it's technically an inside. I thought about booking us an ocean view but was like nah, we won't be looking out, and we didn't. lol I saw the museum as we were leaving on the bus. If I was traveling solo, I would have stopped by. I'm a museum junkie and love places like that. I wish I had booked the one for January too for $25. :rolleyes:

Too bad we didn't get to meet!

Food from night two.

Chicken tortilla soup. Excellent!

Strawberry bisque.

Four season salad.

Grilled chicken with broccoli and mashed potatoes

Three appetizers- yes I was kind of greedy tonight! haha I also wanted to try the flatbread appetizer but couldn't be TOO greedy in front of strangers. :p Someone at my table ordered it and it looked sooooo good.

Heather's steak tacos and chicken chow mein.

My favorite menu. Caprice salad, four season salad and strawberry bisque.

Thanks for reviewing your cruise, and sharing your photos.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg I still cruise for warm chocolate melting cake (with two sugar free vanilla ice creams)

It was a bit chilly out. I've never boarded a ship with a coat on. Blessings to those who board ships in New York and Baltimore in the winter!

5187a616-5a57-4ab5-ad25-e6e2999628c4_zps0c3236ad.jpg

however short you say it may be, i'm looking forward to reading it.

on your point here, it was bizarre on my january NY cruise this year - EVERYONE was wearing their winter coats and gear in full force. even the lido deck bartenders. i didn't even know they had carnival winter coats, but they do.

that, coupled with the 'polar vortex' (v 1.0) hitting florida and the bahamas - most bizarre cruise ever :)

Edited by falkcor

Thanks so much for this review! I love your reviews, and I just booked Liberty on the Southern route from San Juan, and i see you did that on Valor, so I know where I'm headed! :D

What do you use to get your cruise pictures into a review? I took many pics on both my camera and my iPhone, and I would like to start a photo review. How do you make yours?

Thanks!

My Valor review is a classic! One of my faves! :D The southern itinerary is the best.

I upload everything to photobucket and edit them a little bit there. Then I copy and paste the link here.

Thank you for doing this quick review! Can't wait until your next one. :) Good luck with the Amazing Race!

Thank you and thank you. :)

on your point here, it was bizarre on my january NY cruise this year - EVERYONE was wearing their winter coats and gear in full force. even the lido deck bartenders. i didn't even know they had carnival winter coats, but they do.

that, coupled with the 'polar vortex' (v 1.0) hitting florida and the bahamas - most bizarre cruise ever :)

Falkcor, some of my Florida departures were full of guests wearing similar winter attire. ;)

Awesome review.... but disturbing image...

More power to anyone brave enough to get a Carnival tattoo. :)

Thanks for the review Kim! I was offered this free cruise but it was too far for too short to take them up on the offer. Glad you got to take advantage and you had a good time!

Geri

Hey Geri! Yeah it's a shame so many people were offered this but unable to take it. Maybe they'll offer some similar in the future, maybe the 3 days from Port Canaveral or Miami. We had a lot of fun, much more fun than I can really put in a CC review. haha :D

No worries. I'm honestly just curious if they are limiting it based on the amount of Diamonds and Platinums. I would think a transatlantic and a free cruise for Platinums could give us some insight. After hearing about the Sunshine Transatlantic, I honestly don't know if I can believe what Carnival is trying to spoonfeed us.

I heard about the Sunshine TA and what a mess it was. I don't buy into the hype with FTTF anyways. Personally I'd never pay for it, especially on a 2 day cruise.

My favorite menu. Caprice salad, four season salad and strawberry bisque.

Someone else ordered the Caprice salad and I was like man, I want that too! Some people might complain about Carnival's food, but I think it's very good.

I so wouldn't be happy if I was wearing a coat to board a ship in Florida. Have you seen the pics of the lido covered in snow from Baltimore? :eek:

Falkcor, some of my Florida departures were full of guests wearing similar winter attire. ;)

That's just wrong on so many levels. lol I've been lucky so far and never had that happen on my winter cruises. *knock on wood*

I so wouldn't be happy if I was wearing a coat to board a ship in Florida. Have you seen the pics of the lido covered in snow from Baltimore? :eek:

i sure did. and while we didn't have the chance to make snowmen or snowangels on deck (damn), did you see the pics of what it looked like docking splendor in ny last year around this time?

ny-dock_zps420a6e59.jpg

talk about :eek:

same here. and the one on the right has a funship freddy tattoo in there too. he's a total creep. no way i'd want him permanently on my body. they must REALLY love carnival :eek:

Let's just say they were 'interesting':eek:

Didn't get the whole picture. They had made up the red 'Ask Me' (Ask Us?) shirts that some of the Carnival staff wear at embark.

Edited by SadieN

The crowded Captain's Lounge.

f202e0a4-e882-4ee5-9a08-c7c723a9855d_zps86173109.jpg

Well, at least you were able to see me in your pictures... :)

I'm the plus sized guy with the gray sweatshirt behind the the sign in the very middle... We were just being allowed to reboard after our B2B. I was the first one on the ship that day. Yay me...:D

On our first part of the B2B they didn't start boarding until after 1 PM. Usually it is because of really slow customs and people dragging their feet getting off the ship. Long Beach is well known for their late boardings.

Bob

I really enjoy your reviews...I wish you and Heather the best of luck on your quest to become Amazing Racers...My former teachers aide and myself are avid Race fans...and have been for several years. If I hadn't had 3 hernia surgeries then I'd surely apply with my brother who would love to travel!

i sure did. and while we didn't have the chance to make snowmen or snowangels on deck (damn), did you see the pics of what it looked like docking splendor in ny last year around this time?

ny-dock_zps420a6e59.jpg

talk about :eek:

NO WAY!!! On the bright side I bet there were no chair hogs that day. lol

same here. and the one on the right has a funship freddy tattoo in there too. he's a total creep. no way i'd want him permanently on my body. they must REALLY love carnival :eek:

Is Funship Freddy even still around? I haven't seen him in a while.

Well, at least you were able to see me in your pictures... :)

I'm the plus sized guy with the gray sweatshirt behind the the sign in the very middle... We were just being allowed to reboard after our B2B. I was the first one on the ship that day. Yay me...:D

On our first part of the B2B they didn't start boarding until after 1 PM. Usually it is because of really slow customs and people dragging their feet getting off the ship. Long Beach is well known for their late boardings.

Bob

Gheez we were just a few feet away from each other! I was looking for you in the club at night but don't think I ever saw you.

Hey Kim!! Thanks for taking me along with you on your mini adventure. GREAT job as usual. Good luck to you and Heather in your quest to make the Amazing Race!!

Thanks a lot! If we do make it I hope I don't do anything to embarrass myself. lol

I really enjoy your reviews...I wish you and Heather the best of luck on your quest to become Amazing Racers...My former teachers aide and myself are avid Race fans...and have been for several years. If I hadn't had 3 hernia surgeries then I'd surely apply with my brother who would love to travel!

Thanks a lot! It's my dream to be on that show. :)

I wonder why this guy looks like Teddy Roosevelt.

Haha :p

Is Funship Freddy even still around? I haven't seen him in a while.

Haven't seen him either, but the Towel Elephant was on the pier for pictures.

Gheez we were just a few feet away from each other! I was looking for you in the club at night but don't think I ever saw you.

............................/quote]

Found him and his DW hiding in the Piano Bar. The piano guy was excellant. Too bad he finished his contract on our cruise.