Freedom-Time cut short in Grand Caymen?

theverro

Hello all!

Getting on the Carnival Freedom Jan 4th sailing. On Jan 7th, we are in GC and have booked a tour with Acquarius Sea Tours. I just got the following email from them:

"We have reserved places for you and our tour on 7 January 2015 and note that you are arriving via Carnival Freedom.

During the last few weeks, Carnival Freedom has cut short it's visit to Grand Cayman due to "speed restrictions" of the cruise ship. This change by Carnival has meant that their clients have had to miss our tours completely.

It may be advised that you contact Carnival Cruises to find out if this situation will continue, so that you will be able to make alternative arrangements for a tour. It would also be greatly appreciated if you could inform us of the same."

I have not seen anything here on the boards regarding the Freedom being slowed up. Can anyone provide more insight??

Thank you!

Richard

We are also on this tour for January 7 and have received this email. Intended contacting carnival first thing Monday to clarify situation. Really looking forward to this tour so hopefully there has been a mix up as suggested by previous poster.

We are also on this tour for January 7 and have received this email. Intended contacting carnival first thing Monday to clarify situation. Really looking forward to this tour so hopefully there has been a mix up as suggested by previous poster.

according to the site you are in grand cayman until 4-- and will have to be on the tender by 3-:15 at the latest

If the ship is leaving early-- how early are they leaving

and what tour is this that it can not be done by the time the ship leaves

I called Carnival today on this subject today, and from what they see, everything is "normal" and our arrival time in GC is still schedualed as 8am. I'm assuming your start time for the tour is 8:45 like me?

according to the site you are in grand cayman until 4-- and will have to be on the tender by 3-:15 at the latest

This issue, as far as I understand it from the email I got from Acquarius, is that they are worried that the ship will get into port later than anticipated and that we therefore won't be able to make the start time.

During the Dec 7th cruise on the Freedom, we were slightly delayed in getting in to Grand Cayman and the ship was re-routed to the other side of the island, because of high waves. We were tendered and there were cabs/vans to take us to the port side and a fee to go back to the ship.

We didn't have a planned excursion, but some of them were cancelled.

Wee bit harsh huh? They are only asking a question.

Maybe they want to save money? Maybe it is a tour they want that the ship does not offer? Maybe it is none of your darn business? No one has to ask you for permission to do a excursion.

Edited by cruiseforlyfe

Thank you for posting your response from carnival. We are in Northern Ireland and it was Sunday evening here when I received the email from Aquarius and carnival uk were closed for the day.

Yes we are also on the 8.45 tour and particularly purchased FTTF to ensure priority tendering so we would not be late for this tour. I will contact Aquarius and tell them it's business as usual.

Hopefully it should be a fun day. The tour gets good reviews. It will be nice to say hello and meet you on the 7 January.

Carnival also anchored on the other side of the island, on the ship I was on last month. They were also late by at least an hour with tendering. Cabs were required to get to Georgetown. So, Carnival is having some issues in Grand Cayman.

I would suggest you have, in writing- what the tour vendor's policy is? Will they refund you if you can't get there on time? No refunds? etc?

cruiseforlyfe, you might want to apply that to yourself. serene56 was also just asking questions. Perhaps to avoid this same excursion. They don't need your permission to ask.

Maybe it is none of your darn business?

Thank you for posting your response from carnival. We are in Northern Ireland and it was Sunday evening here when I received the email from Aquarius and carnival uk were closed for the day.

Yes we are also on the 8.45 tour and particularly purchased FTTF to ensure priority tendering so we would not be late for this tour. I will contact Aquarius and tell them it's business as usual.

Hopefully it should be a fun day. The tour gets good reviews. It will be nice to say hello and meet you on the 7 January.

Excellent!! Yes, should be a great day, this place get phenomenal reviews. Also love the fact that they take a bunch of pictures (including under water) and send them to you for free!

We also got FTTF, but had booked that before I booked this tour, so now I am doubly glad I got it.

See you there!

Richard

Thanks everyone for your help. As suggested by some posters the email was intended for passengers on RCI Freedom of the Seas and not those travelling on the Carnival Freedom. Apologies received this morning from Tour Operator.

See you on the 7th theverro and thanks again for posting. The advise received was very helpful.

Carnival also anchored on the other side of the island, on the ship I was on last month. They were also late by at least an hour with tendering. Cabs were required to get to Georgetown. So, Carnival is having some issues in Grand Cayman.

I would suggest you have, in writing- what the tour vendor's policy is? Will they refund you if you can't get there on time? No refunds? etc?

I think the weather in GC has been sup-par for a while. This tour company we are going with keep posting some "please sun come out today" posts on Facebook.

Their cancelation policy is easy, no deposit has been taken and all they ask is that you try to let them know if you cannot make it to the tour. I will have the Internet package on the ship, so will email them the morning of if ever the weather does not cooperate.

Maybe they want to save money? Maybe it is a tour they want that the ship does not offer? Maybe it is none of your darn business? No one has to ask you for permission to do a excursion.

I don't think Serene was trying to be rude or harsh. She's always very helpful. But you certainly were and could stand to take some of your own advice.