Besides the beach....

Sunburns

The beaches are a big draw as well as the duty free shopping, of course. The Ice Bar is interesting but we weren't that impressed to be honest. But others may find it a great option, especially on a hot day.

Mountaintop is a more commercial version since the original burned down and was replaced. Still an amazing view of Magens Bay, and there are a ton of trinkets in the new store. There's also a great view of Magens Bay from Drake's Seat.

On our first cruises to STT we enjoyed touring the East End of STT and also seeing the views from Drake's, the overlook on Scenic Drive, and the historic area overlooking CA. We once used a private driver to have the utmost flexibility, Stanley is a driver from the Secret Harbour Resort who provides a private tour option and his contact info can be found in other threads here.

Paradise Point is a nice spot to be dropped last to enjoy the view and perhaps the BirdLady's show and a Bailey's Bushwacker. Since you are docked at Havensight you can take the aerial tram down and walk back to the dock.

And of course a taxi to Red Hook and the ferry to Cruz Bay, St John is a great day. Cruz Bay has some nice shops and eateries, and you can take an island tour and see the magnificent beaches from above. Total cost is about $34pp roundtrip, + about $25pp for the island tour.

We found the Ice Bar to be pretty fun! But you may want to take an island tour. On our upcoming cruise, I've booked a tour through the ship that takes us kayaking, hiking, and snorkeling - not sure if those activities are your thing. I've done mostly beach and shopping stuff in St. Thomas in the past. I think you can do island tours of St. John as well, which includes a ferry ride over there.

We found the Ice Bar to be pretty fun! But you may want to take an island tour. On our upcoming cruise, I've booked a tour through the ship that takes us kayaking, hiking, and snorkeling - not sure if those activities are your thing. I've done mostly beach and shopping stuff in St. Thomas in the past. I think you can do island tours of St. John as well, which includes a ferry ride over there.

yes and I don't mean to take away from the experience of Magic Ice as it is unique, and everyone should experience if in the area. And it is ranked #7 behind only the beaches of STT and the synagogue.

Definitely a "cool" experience! :)

http://www.magicice.vi/

Great, thanks! I think I may have had Mountain Top and Paradise Point confused. My main goal is to see that view! Normally we just enjoy wandering aimlessly through ports, but this time we are bringing our friends who have never cruised before and they mentioned interest in the ice bar. Hopefully we can find someone to take us on a tour of our choosing. St Thomas just looks so beautiful in photos. I can't wait to see it for myself!

It would help to know the ages in your group. The ice bar is fascinating for the same reason that ice sculpting demos are popular on the ships. The kids really love the ice slide.

There are so many gorgeous views all over the island. The tours take you to most of them.

Mountaintop has a beautiful view of Magens Bay, as does Drake's Seat, and Paradise Point has an amazing view of the harbors and ships and has the aerial tram.

For a private driver I've recommended Stanley Coran, he will show you all of the highlights and drop you at PP at the end. A very nice gentleman, others have used his services since we recommended him and everyone is very happy with him. Much nicer that being tied to a larger group with a fixed itinerary. His price is very reasonable at $35 - 40pp, and his phone# is in post 3 in the link below.

If Stanley is already booked there are the "cookie cutter" tours as well, or you can just hire a taxi to drive you. We'd probably do Magic Ice early and then get dropped at PP last to relax before returning to the ship. But whatever you choose you'll enjoy seeing the island.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2106596

It would help to know the ages in your group. The ice bar is fascinating for the same reason that ice sculpting demos are popular on the ships. The kids really love the ice slide.

There are so many gorgeous views all over the island. The tours take you to most of them.

My DH and I are mid 40's and our friends are mid 30's. This is their first 'real' vacation and first time away from their children. We are mostly looking for relaxing, but fun, things to do that we can plan ourselves. Our cruise stops at HMC and Grand Turk so we were hoping to do something other than beach or water activities in St Thomas and San Juan. I was hoping to find a pub crawl like they do in Key West, but I haven't seen anything like that anywhere on our stops.

Mountaintop has a beautiful view of Magens Bay, as does Drake's Seat, and Paradise Point has an amazing view of the harbors and ships and has the aerial tram.

For a private driver I've recommended Stanley Coran, he will show you all of the highlights and drop you at PP at the end. A very nice gentleman, others have used his services since we recommended him and everyone is very happy with him. Much nicer that being tied to a larger group with a fixed itinerary. His price is very reasonable at $35 - 40pp, and his phone# is in post 3 in the link below.

If Stanley is already booked there are the "cookie cutter" tours as well, or you can just hire a taxi to drive you. We'd probably do Magic Ice early and then get dropped at PP last to relax before returning to the ship. But whatever you choose you'll enjoy seeing the island.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2106596

Thanks for clarifying! That sounds like a good idea for us. Magan's Bay sounds like a must-see view, also. I don't think I'll be able to get the guys on the tram at PP. Maybe we gals can stuff them in a taxi and meet them down there. ;)

We have always planned our own sightseeing and just used taxi's. I am not a fan of led tours. After ten minutes of being packed in and led around like cattle I would lose what little mind I have left.

Someone else wanted a bar crawl and I think I recommended bars in town for them to crawl to, but that was over a year ago, and they didn't post after their visit.

I mentioned adding a bar crawl to a tour operator and he didn't "get" it. I can put one together for you and have a taxi driver take you to the great bars around the island. You'd have to pay for your drinks at each stop and pay the taxi driver the normal tour rate which may be $35 pp. It would include bars on the East End.

Let me know if you're interested, and I'll pitch it to a different tour operator. I know a tour operator who offers them at night, and he is loads of fun, but he has a big vehicle. How many in your group?

Thanks for clarifying! That sounds like a good idea for us. Magan's Bay sounds like a must-see view, also. I don't think I'll be able to get the guys on the tram at PP. Maybe we gals can stuff them in a taxi and meet them down there. ;)

We have always planned our own sightseeing and just used taxi's. I am not a fan of led tours. After ten minutes of being packed in and led around like cattle I would lose what little mind I have left.

First of all congrats to your Buckeyes for winning the Sugar Bowl. We are planning to take a taxi to Mountain Top and then to Magen's Bay Beach for a few hours. Our daughter and her boyfriend have not been there so will be great for them to check it out. The views from up there of the beach and surrounding islands is really awesome. The store is pretty huge if you need to get some souvenirs and let's not forget the strong banana daiquiris they sell. Wife and I are in the same "young" age group as you. lol We still like to party and have a good time though. See ya in about 5 months!

Yes we're the same, we always search for a private driver in the islands and if not available hire a taxi or rent a car.

And if you do hire Stanley or a taxi you will have an extraordinary view of Magens Bay from Drake's Seat, and a stop at Mountain Top isn't out of the way. At MT you'll find a large store with the typical trinkets, although they do have a large selection of Paul Brent bags which we like. Also a good banana daiquiri for $12 or so and that gorgeous view of Magens.

Stan;ey can drop you at the tram and drive the boys up to PP where you can meet them. Maybe after a few Bailey's Bushwackers they'll ride back down with you. You can usually get roundtrip tram tickets at the ship excursions desk a little cheaper.

Someone else wanted a bar crawl and I think I recommended bars in town for them to crawl to, but that was over a year ago, and they didn't post after their visit.

I mentioned adding a bar crawl to a tour operator and he didn't "get" it. I can put one together for you and have a taxi driver take you to the great bars around the island. You'd have to pay for your drinks at each stop and pay the taxi driver the normal tour rate which may be $35 pp. It would include bars on the East End.

Let me know if you're interested, and I'll pitch it to a different tour operator. I know a tour operator who offers them at night, and he is loads of fun, but he has a big vehicle. How many in your group?

I appreciate the offer, but that is one time we would need a tour operator...for supervision...lol. None of us have a vary sturdy tolerance :D

First of all congrats to your Buckeyes for winning the Sugar Bowl. We are planning to take a taxi to Mountain Top and then to Magen's Bay Beach for a few hours. Our daughter and her boyfriend have not been there so will be great for them to check it out. The views from up there of the beach and surrounding islands is really awesome. The store is pretty huge if you need to get some souvenirs and let's not forget the strong banana daiquiris they sell. Wife and I are in the same "young" age group as you. lol We still like to party and have a good time though. See ya in about 5 months!

Thanks! Go Bucks! Now if we could get the Browns to have a little success! I love looking in gift shops, but my favorite souvenir is to smash a penny. I have a whole box of them from almost everywhere I have been. So cheap and easy to pack. I haven't searched online to see if there are any at our stops, yet. I hope there are. If not, I will get a t-shirt or magnet for the fridge. I can't wait to see these amazing views I have been hearing about!

Yes we're the same, we always search for a private driver in the islands and if not available hire a taxi or rent a car.

And if you do hire Stanley or a taxi you will have an extraordinary view of Magens Bay from Drake's Seat, and a stop at Mountain Top isn't out of the way. At MT you'll find a large store with the typical trinkets, although they do have a large selection of Paul Brent bags which we like. Also a good banana daiquiri for $12 or so and that gorgeous view of Magens.

Stan;ey can drop you at the tram and drive the boys up to PP where you can meet them. Maybe after a few Bailey's Bushwackers they'll ride back down with you. You can usually get roundtrip tram tickets at the ship excursions desk a little cheaper.

I'm not sure I want to ride the tram with them once they are liquored up! hahaha! My DH is afraid of heights and the other is afraid we'll fall. I'm pretty sure someone will throw up on me ;)

I'm not sure I want to ride the tram with them once they are liquored up! hahaha! My DH is afraid of heights and the other is afraid we'll fall. I'm pretty sure someone will throw up on me ;)

LOL! The ride up with Stanley or in a taxi is fun enough, especially after enjoying a few cocktails on your private tour! :p