Tour/activity recommendations for Norway cruise?

cruiseej

We’re booked on our first Seabourn cruise (after a number on Regent over the past 15 years) on Quest in June, touring Norway roundtrip from Copenhagen. I've seen only a few posts on this board about this itinerary, and our Roll Call is very quiet, so I thought I’d post to ask if anyone has any recommendations for tours — offered by Seabourn or private tours or activities on our own — on this itinerary.

Our ports in Norway are:

Flam

Alesund

Svolvaer (Lofoten)

Tromso

Honningsvag

Olden

Bergen

Stavanger

plus Copenhagen (where we will arrive two days before the cruise)

Any suggestions or recommendations for these ports, or this cruise — or other tips a first-timer on Seabourn might not be aware of — would be appreciated. (While I’ve done some searching on this forum, if you have posted a CC review or your own blog of this trip, just the URL of your past posting would be great. Thanks to PaulaJK, TCLOhio and CooksCruiser14 in particular for your detailed posts after your trips in recent years!)

Eric

We did almost this identical trip from Stockholm to Copenhagen in July 2013. Do not miss the train in Flam. Beautiful. Ship docked (Sojourn) very close the train station and we just walked over and bought our tickets - did not book ship's tour.

In Tromso, we did take the ship's tour to visit the sled dogs. Interesting. If I remember, most of your other ports, we just walked around the very lovely little towns. This was one of our very favorite cruises ever - enjoy your cruise!

We’re booked on our first Seabourn cruise (after a number on Regent over the past 15 years) on Quest in June, touring Norway roundtrip from Copenhagen. I've seen only a few posts on this board about this itinerary, and our Roll Call is very quiet, so I thought I’d post to ask if anyone has any recommendations for tours — offered by Seabourn or private tours or activities on our own — on this itinerary.

Our ports in Norway are:

Flam

Alesund

Svolvaer (Lofoten)

Tromso

Honningsvag

Olden

Bergen

Stavanger

plus Copenhagen (where we will arrive two days before the cruise)

I have never cruised in Norway so I don't know what kind of tours that are offered. Neither do I know how long you are in each port or what kind of tours you normally do.

But here is what I personally would have done.

Flåm

Railway trip. Ticket can be purchased in advance, at the station or follow ship tour.

Depending on time/physical fitness, a hike at the top

Ålesund

Never been there, but a hike up to the view point would be my choice.

Svolvær

I would have rented a boat with a captain and gone fishing.

Tromsø

My oldest is born there, sor personally I would just walk the town and visit all my old "waterholes".

Honningsvåg

If you have never been to North Cape, this is were you need to go. An overpriced tourist trap, but even I would go.

Olden.

Never been there.

Bergen

Would have walked the town, visited the fish marked, but not buy anything there. Over priced if you stop for a salad or something. And I would have taken Fløybanen up to Fløyen for a wonderful view over Bergen (and probably walked down)

Stavanger

Well, here I don't have a choice. I would need to visit my newly bord granddaughter.

Cheers, Atle

PS

Most/all norwegian speak English and very many of the websites have a language button (flag) to change from Norwegian to English

We very much wanted to go to Pulpit Rock when we were on our wonderful Seabourn cruise to Norway a few years ago. Unfortunately we were only in Stavanger for a half day so there was not enough time. Do try to go there --- reports from those who have been there say it is amazing. On the other hand we did very much enjoy Stavanger --- there is a charming old town area near where we docked.

Regarding Flam, if you love to hike in breathtaking scenery you might want to do what we did. We took the train ( on our own) up to Myrdal and then hiked the 13 miles down to Flam through lovely meadows, on bridges over rushing creeks, and along side majestic waterfalls.

In Bergen we took the Cable car up and hiked down along a gentle meandering dirt path through the forest and encountered numerous giant trolls carved out if tree trunks. We also went shopping with the Chef there and sampled numerous types of caviar and smoked minke whale.

And while we almost never do ship tours we did take the one to the North Cape. Yes, as mentioned very touristy but if you are lucky with the weather and have a clear day ( and we were lucky) you will enjoy marvelous views from the top of the world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am also on this cruise and Seabourn just posted the excursions. Is Geirangerfjord a "must see"? The only way to see it is an 8 hour excursion and I'll have to convince the DH - we prefer half day excursions. Also is Pulpit Rock a "must see"? Thanks!

I'd say it is a must see if you actually sail in there. It is spectacular. However, what would you be missing if you take the tour - where is the tour from?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The tour starts in Bergen, and features a boat ride through Gerangerfjord. I think we will do it. Also, everyone keeps saying the North Cape is so touristy. I know we cruise the North Cape when we leave Honnigsvag -- do you see enough from the ship to satisfy, or do you really need to drive up there on the excursion to truly appreciate it?

We did this trip in June of this year. It was wonderful! Here's a quick breakdown of what we did in each port. Hopefully this will help you in your decision making. :) Giant wall of text incoming!

Flam - Try to get a CC group together ahead of time (believe 10 person minimum) to get the group discount and priority boarding for the train. Otherwise just walk up (earlier than later) and buy tickets. Hopefully you'll be docked alongside. Unfortunately we had to tender in as a Pullmantur ship was docked.

Alesund - We walked the stairs up to Fjellstoua Viewpoint: great view and fun walk up. This is also where we explored a local supermarket. We're the types who like to find interesting items to try and possibly bring home.

Svolvaer (Lofoten) - RENT A CAR! So glad we did (walked over to Avis and got the last one. Suggest renting this ahead of time to ensure you can get one.) We drove to the Lofotr Viking Museum & Henningsvær fishing village ourselves and the countryside here is absolutely stunning. In fact we did a full loop from Svolvaer to Leknes to see as much as possible. Get an early start as it does take some time (particularly the 815 southern route). We got back in the nick of time for the last tender. Also try to get your hands on some brown goat cheese here (aka "Gjetost" although there are other spellings). We bought some at Lofotr gift shop, but apparently there's a local farm nearby (stocks the gift shop) that you can visit.

Here's the Avis info:

Avis Bilutleie Svolvær

Avisgata 11

8301 Svolvær

Tromso - We did the SBN Zodiac tour, and it really was fun! We were even lucky enough to see some musk oxen they have on a small island out in the sound. The guides/drivers were more than happy to oblige us when we asked them to "jump" the wake of the other boat several times. Very good fun, but then again maybe that aspect isn't for everyone. We also walked over to the Polar Museum on our own. Quite an interesting little place and very close to the dock!

Honningsvag - Forget doing the ship excursion when you can rent a car yourself and explore at your own pace! We walked off the pier to a nearby stand. They're actually rented from the folks who own the nearby gas station who were lovely. We spoke to the mother at length at the end of the day about life in Honningsvag. There was also an Avis I believe, with a big poster announcing themselves visible from the ship but we couldn't ever find them. Drove to the North Cape and also out to a small village called Gjesvær. If you can't rent ahead of time try to be one of the first off to snatch up a car.

Olden - We weren't incredibly interested in the excursions here and there's really not much other than a few local tour & merchandise stands right by the dock. Beautiful setting though. Good place for a walk if you don't do a tour. I'll admit we had a lazy day spent mostly onboard. Absolutely loved the breathtaking scenery as we entered and exited the fjord to get there. You do get a good glimpse of the glacier one of the tours visits. Definitely go on that tour if it sounds interesting!!!

Bergen - We went ashore with the chef to buy fresh seafood. Good fun and you get to try all sorts of things if you like (from the tame raw salmon to the adventurous spiced whale). You'll also be invited to feast upon the Chef's purchases that evening. I'd say this is a must if you like seafood! We then walked on our own to the funicular / "Fløibanen" (try to get the bottom seats so you can look out over the city). Unfortunately it was raining cats and dogs so we did not walk any of the trails up top. After that we did a fair bit of shopping for presents to bring home. Lots of great gifts to be found (lovely scarves, reindeer / moose sausage, drinking horns, sweaters, etc.).

Stavanger - We walked around town and over to the Petroleum Museum. VERY interesting and enjoyable for us. After that we walked about town (great chocolate shop here if you're so inclined). I do wish we had gone out to Pulpit rock as well.

Copenhagen - The best restaurant in the world for the last three years is here (NOMA). So if you're a foodie definitely check it out. Let me preface that CPH is very expensive when it comes to even regular food. Otherwise there's lots to see. We loved Rosenborg Castle, and I'd say it's a must see. The National Museum of Denmark has a lot of great info and exhibits on Vikings (at least when we were there). There's simply so many things you can do here that you'll have to dive in to see what's most interesting to you.

Final note: All in all we absolutely loved the days driving on our own and wish we'd been able to do more of it. Don't forget you can ask the ship for a snack/lunch box and water as the basis for your own picnic during the day. Anywhere we walked to an attraction was an easy walk (except Alesund). Absolutely make sure you are up and looking out at the scenery whenever you can and especially in transit through a fjord. It's magical!

Edited by Penkzilla

In reply to if North Cape is worth it. Yes it's touristy, but I think you do need to go out there, stand outside, and feel the wind blow and the sudden weather changes to appreciate it. Then again if I had taken an overpriced bus from the ship I might feel otherwise. Driving your own car and exploring is the way to go!

Copenhagen......we stayed five nights at the Hilton Airport last August prior to boarding Quest. If we were to do the same trip next year, I would repeat Hilton.

Easy access to the city via train. Airport/train/hotel connected. HEAVY construction continues in the city.

Edited by oregon50

Oh great point Oregon! We also stayed in the Hilton Airport. So nice to not have to schlep yourself + luggage a long way after a long flight. Extremely quiet too! We couldn't hear any air traffic noise and like Oregon said, there's a light rail station to go into the city right next to the hotel/airport.

Oops I said Bergen, but I meant Olden - so we would be missing Olden to see Geirangerfjord!:eek:

I would stay in Olden rather than going on an 8 hour tour, having been three times to each. My favourite from Olden is Lovatnet Lake and Kjenndalen Glacier which is more wild than than Briskstalbeen (apologies for spelling) and less touristy. It does involve a good walk nowadays. It had retreated quite a but the last time we went, in 2011. The walk to the face is 30 mins approx but the scenery is stunning. Olden has a nice church and some grass roofed houses which are worth a look and the general setting is good with wild lupins in flower.

Miss W has just moved to Bergen for 8 weeks and is spending a week in Tromso so I'll ask her some hot on the ground tips when she gets home.

In Copenhagen I think the thing we most enjoyed was the morning out to Helsingor/Elsinor. Try to get out there early as there is a tour in English in the mornings and it was very informative. The train runs about every 30 mins and you can either connect to a tram our do the pleasant walk out along the water

http://www.kronborg.dk/english/

The other place to definitely walk around is Christiana. Don't be put off by people telling you it is unsafe. Just respect the no photos areas and all is good (although I know a few people took photos of some of the graffiti and ensured there were no people in them)

We stayed at the Adina out near the port as similar theory with schlepping bags. While it was excellent having a 2 bedroom apartment and being able to self cater after indulging on Sojourn, the place was not clean enough for me.

Transport is quite expensive so mark sure you get one of the passes.

I would stay in Olden rather than going on an 8 hour tour, having been three times to each. My favourite from Olden is Lovatnet Lake and Kjenndalen Glacier which is more wild than than Briskstalbeen (apologies for spelling) and less touristy. It does involve a good walk nowadays. It had retreated quite a but the last time we went, in 2011. The walk to the face is 30 mins approx but the scenery is stunning. Olden has a nice church and some grass roofed houses which are worth a look and the general setting is good with wild lupins in flower.

Forgot to say, the lake and glacier would be a half day from Olden but may need to be arranged privately.

I would recommend the world's most northerly brewery brew pub for a visit in Tromso. It's called Mack and has a large stuffed polar bear and quite a few old timers who are regulars in the dark interior. We received a lovely welcome and still treasure the large Mack tankard we purchased and were only using a few hours ago!