Just got back from the Quantum Holiday Cruise

Bmulder1

Restaurant (Capacity):

•*American Icon Grill (430)

• Chic (434)

•*Silk (434)

• The Grande (432)

Total capacity is 1,730. That is lower than the capacity for the main dining rooms on Voyager Class ships.

Well - there you have it...

Okay I am not to off because I am also including pay restaurants. These numbers force you into those more or less. Bottom line far less capacity relies on an assumption that diverse timing and large use of buffet. Now I know what I learned in life about assuming. To assume makes an a.. of U and Me. Both the seating limitations an the same menu concept were created to force extra pay dining, less staff requirements. They can spin it anyway they want but they are screwing guests and staff alike. Exactly what NCL before went bankrupt and Chinese scooped it up.

NCL has a pretty non service product but at least they pretty much give it away around here anyway.

Barnacle Thank You for the information!

George in NY

Why is Royal coping a failed company, which is a distant third from it, anyway??? Does any of this make any sense to anyone?

Why is Royal coping a failed company, which is a distant third from it, anyway??? Does any of this make any sense to anyone?

NCL is hardly a failed company anymore so at least they were able to eventually turn it around. It's not for everyone, but Freestyle at least works. One certainly cannot say the same for Dynamic Dining thus far judging by the reviews. Maybe RCI should have more closely followed certain aspects of the Freestyle model in designing DD... Fewer reservations maybe? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave85

Please keep in mind that many of those who disliked Dynamic Dining disliked it (and many were very vocal) before they ever took their cruise. These folks are continuing to voice their desire to do away with Dynamic Dining. Some of these are on a mission to ensure that Dynamic Dining does NOT spread to the rest of the fleet.

Please also keep in mind that there are folks who enjoyed all aspects of the Quantum (including Dynamic Dining) and are returning to cruise on her again before she sails to China.

We sailed with 3 other couples who enjoyed Dynamic Dining. Of the 4 couples, we are the only ones who post on Cruise Critic.

Please also keep in mind that corporate Royal Caribbean is NOT stupid. They will make adjustments and probably will have them in place by the time you sail.

If you board with a positive attitude (which you appear to have) you will probably enjoy the Quantum.

On the other hand, the "Negative Nellies" boarded with their negative mindset that sealed their fate.

I actually went in with a very positive outlook and ignored and tried to discount the "Negative Nellies" before we sailed, but we disliked DD and will never sail ships featuring it again. This does not mean the cruise wasn't generally great and a lot of fun, but the dining experience is an important aspect for us and this time it was a disappointment. Does this now make me a "Negative Nellie"? If so, oh well...

My DW and I along with another couple are due to board the Quantum this Sunday. I have read most of the postings since her initial voyage to the U.S. Granted most of these postings were negative but here is how I feel about cruising. We may have not taken as many cruises as a lot of folks but we love the experience. I have always been an optimist and tried to make the best out of every situation. On one cruise to the Caribbean the A/C didn't work in our room. Several attempts were made to fix it to now avail so we cruised in an 80-85 degree room the entire 7 days. Yes I was upset but the rest of the cruise was great. So in the grand scheme of things I really can't complain. Yes, I have my favorite cruise line (Celebrity) but we want to be on a new ship just to see how modernized it is as compared to our first cruise in 1997.

We plan to go into this sailing with an open mind and will try to minimize the negatives that we encounter. If our restaurant has slow service we will go with the flow and maybe not get dessert or that after dinner coffee in order to make it to our show. If one soda machine is empty I'll just go to another. As long as we have a comfortable place to lay our head, a ship's captain who can get us from one place to another and then back home again safely and a few place that we can "chow down" then most likely we won't complain too much.

With muscular dystrophy and the limited ability to walk, climb stairs and requiring the assistance of someone else for activities of daily living, this cruise should be a breeze. Yes, I know $3000.00 to $4000.00 is a lot of money but for all of the joy we get out of cruising and the cherished time we spend with our friends, it's well worth it.

Hope I didn't offend anyone. Just stating my own feelings.

Tom

Yes, I have my favorite cruise line (Celebrity) but we want to be on a new ship just to see how modernized it is as compared to our first cruise in 1997.

You'll experience a nice transition from the S class ships you know, to the Quantum to the eventual Edge class ships you will eventually sail with Celebrity.:cool:

I read one comment that said something like, you wait on line at home for a restaurant, so what is the problem with waiting for a restaurant on Quantum? Not verbatim, but to that effect. My question is, if you have a reservation, why should you be waiting? We are not fussy or picky and we are patient. We would not mind waiting a few minutes to be seated, but I have read posts where people waited 30 minutes to be seated, but they had a reservation. Now this confuses me. I might be off base, but is a 30 minute wait acceptable when you have a reservation?

I read one comment that said something like, you wait on line at home for a restaurant, so what is the problem with waiting for a restaurant on Quantum? Not verbatim, but to that effect. My question is, if you have a reservation, why should you be waiting? We are not fussy or picky and we are patient. We would not mind waiting a few minutes to be seated, but I have read posts where people waited 30 minutes to be seated, but they had a reservation. Now this confuses me. I might be off base, but is a 30 minute wait acceptable when you have a reservation?

We waited up to an hour with reservations on some nights on our sailing. I did see a couple just walk up to the podium at Grande and pretend that they had been waiting in line like the rest of us. They got seated right away and I raised this with the hostess and she replied that she couldn't be bothered and watching what was going on since it was so busy.

Edited by kiyoko

We had 8:00 reservations for the American Icon Grille and waited in line for well over 45 minutes. As it turns out, they said they weren't going by reservations that night and were just seating on a first-come, first-served basis.

:confused:

You're not at all off base--I agree with you!