What is It Like

qsuzi

We did the 75-day Grand Asia & Australia Voyage in 2012, and will probably do it again in 2016. We've also done a few 35 days cruises, and several 14 days.

There is a lot of packing to do! We learned one good way to save weight in your luggage is not to buy toiletries until we reach the port of embarkation (we always arrive a day or two early in any case) except for those items that may not be available in the port.

We arrange for meds with our doctor & insurance company to be sure we have enough. We are always up-to-date with flu shots, immunizations, etc.

Several years ago we downsized into a large townhouse to make it easier to lock & leave. It's an interior unit. With lights on timers, you cannot tell from the outside if we are home or not. It's pretty hard to see into our garage, but if you went to the trouble both our cars would be there. We always stop the mail (and yes, they will hold it for long periods, you just have to arrange it with the appropriate person; in our case, it is the postmaster of our branch) and the paper, and we arrange for a neighbor to watch the porch for fliers & whatnot and remove them. Since we are in townhouses, it's very easy for them!

Our son lives within an hour, and he comes over every 10 days or so to check on things & water my plants. For the long cruises, we have him turn over the car engines, flush the toilets, etc. He has been known to do his laundry and raid the 'fridge and watch tv!

We do not like to pay bills online when we're home, let alone in foreign ports or on the ship, so we prepay everything. That has always worked out well. We let the credit card companies know where we're going.

We turn off the outside water, turn the heat down or the a/c up, lock the door, set the alarm and go!!

I love cruises with sea days so I can relax and enjoy the offerings of the ship. I especially like the enrichment lectures and try to squeeze in some of the digital workshops. I always bring something to read to an outside deck chair but usually just watch the sea (I can read at home!). So many other activities to enjoy as others have mentioned. Plus time to relax.

One thing to be aware of regarding longer itineraries - and this goes for all cruise lines - is that the passengers tend to be an older crowd who have more time to travel. This can be a very good thing if you enjoy meeting well-traveled people and learning about their experiences.

Happy planning, m--

We also had a wonderful time on the 42 day transatlantic recently. I did wonder how it would be with such a long crossing, 6 days, but it was fine. Like others, we took advantage of the offerings for entertainment on the ship and we are also avid readers. Loved it. I'd do it again in an New York minute.:)

Thanks for adding your comments Summer, Lady, RM, and albingirl. Summer, I've been in your shoes with the caregiving issue and just wanted to send you the best thoughts and wishes.

Edited by qsuzi

I read everybody's answers/HELPFUL answers -Now I'd like to tell you why we've taken some of the much longer cruises.

We both retired about 15 years ago -and our "bucket list" was to see as much of our world as we could and as easily as possible; That meant cruising for the MOST part out of USA/back into USA IF possible. reasoning; we HAVE the time-not necessarily the stamina -for flying world-wide.

NOT knowing Asia at ALL our first TIMID cruise adventure into the Far East was flying into Singapore and cruising into Australia on the Volendam. Several neat conclusion out of that. 1/ HATED the flight; flew into Taiwan and still had another 4 HOURS into Singapore! 2/ we LOVED the length of the cruise and weren't even CLOSE to wanting to get off the ship[to go home] 3/ LOVED what we saw of Asia and wanted more; a LOT more [ We had our 4th Grand Asia cruise 2013/WW2 themed and it was our favorite/HISTORY was amazing. ] 4/ Decided after a WORLD/Grand/Amsterdam- It was simply too long to be away from family for US [this might not be true for anyone else; just OUR emotional response to 110 days] 5/ HAL is our FAVORITE line for anywhere BECAUSE we absolutely LOVE the Filipino/Indonesian crew; THEY make our cruises "spectacular" -no other line even come close 6/ It is/was a good "Bucket List" -I just turned 75 [ today, actually] my DH is 77 and we are finally "feeling" our age; BUT we CERTAINLY have not even ONE regret for the choices we made AND we are glad we made it 15 years ago. Another advantage jumped quickly into my heart as I typed that; We've made some OUTSTANDINGLY LOVING relationships with other couples on the LONGER cruises [ B/cause TIME; you have TIME!] a couple from Sydney, Australia, a couple from Oregon, a couple from Texas[ DALLAS -with exceptionally strong "home" accents from UK/England! and a couple "just like us" from Tenn.

I would NOT change ONE THING about our retirement years. AND we have 2 more cruises already booked -to the delight of our happily-married children who's ONLY remarks have been -"GO for it!!!!!" and "What did you buy me?" and who's grandchildren [now adults] "WOW!!!!!! Gramma/Grampa" .........So if you WANT to try a longer [ 70 day cruise +] I say "GO FOR IT!"

I read everybody's answers/HELPFUL answers -Now I'd like to tell you why we've taken some of the much longer cruises.

We both retired about 15 years ago -and our "bucket list" was to see as much of our world as we could and as easily as possible; That meant cruising for the MOST part out of USA/back into USA IF possible. reasoning; we HAVE the time-not necessarily the stamina -for flying world-wide.

NOT knowing Asia at ALL our first TIMID cruise adventure into the Far East was flying into Singapore and cruising into Australia on the Volendam. Several neat conclusion out of that. 1/ HATED the flight; flew into Taiwan and still had another 4 HOURS into Singapore! 2/ we LOVED the length of the cruise and weren't even CLOSE to wanting to get off the ship[to go home] 3/ LOVED what we saw of Asia and wanted more; a LOT more [ We had our 4th Grand Asia cruise 2013/WW2 themed and it was our favorite/HISTORY was amazing. ] 4/ Decided after a WORLD/Grand/Amsterdam- It was simply too long to be away from family for US [this might not be true for anyone else; just OUR emotional response to 110 days] 5/ HAL is our FAVORITE line for anywhere BECAUSE we absolutely LOVE the Filipino/Indonesian crew; THEY make our cruises "spectacular" -no other line even come close 6/ It is/was a good "Bucket List" -I just turned 75 [ today, actually] my DH is 77 and we are finally "feeling" our age; BUT we CERTAINLY have not even ONE regret for the choices we made AND we are glad we made it 15 years ago. Another advantage jumped quickly into my heart as I typed that; We've made some OUTSTANDINGLY LOVING relationships with other couples on the LONGER cruises [ B/cause TIME; you have TIME!] a couple from Sydney, Australia, a couple from Oregon, a couple from Texas[ DALLAS -with exceptionally strong "home" accents from UK/England! and a couple "just like us" from Tenn.

I would NOT change ONE THING about our retirement years. AND we have 2 more cruises already booked -to the delight of our happily-married children who's ONLY remarks have been -"GO for it!!!!!" and "What did you buy me?" and who's grandchildren [now adults] "WOW!!!!!! Gramma/Grampa" .........So if you WANT to try a longer [ 70 day cruise +] I say "GO FOR IT!"

Love your post ANSalberg. We also dread those long flights from California to Europe or beyond and that is one of the reasons we are "getting our ducks in a row" to do a longer cruise. We need to look into what visa are required and how long they take for th itineraries we are interested in.

No visas needed for Europe. Just back from Iceland, Norway, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungry, Italy, Spain, Gibraltar, Morocco, Portugal, Bahamas. European Union and Schengen Treaty make it all very easy.

Visas are needed for Brazil, India, China just to name a few.... others will chime in.

Enjoy, m--

No visas needed for Europe. Just back from Iceland, Norway, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungry, Italy, Spain, Gibraltar, Morocco, Portugal, Bahamas. European Union and Schengen Treaty make it all very easy.

Visas are needed for Brazil, India, China just to name a few.... others will chime in.

Enjoy, m--

Sounds like a great itinerary RM. I agree there are lots of countries we have been to in Europe where a Visa was not needed. I do need to research if a Visa is needed for the Baltics (Russia); think it is but not sure.

I do need to research if a Visa is needed for the Baltics (Russia); think it is but not sure.

All Americans need a visa to leave the ship in Russia. However, that does not necessarily mean Americans need an individual visa.

If they are going off on a HAL excursion, or, if they are going off on a group tour provided by a Russian agency that provides a group visa, that will cover them---so long as they stay with the group.

Such Russian agencies include, but are nit limited to, Red October, Den Rus, Alla, SPB.

One of the things we really like about the longer voyages is that they usually seem to start with at least one sea day. (Our Grand Asia/Aust took 8 days to cross the Pacific and another day was added due to weather)

Anyway, we spend those days exploring the ship, getting to know our co-inhabitants, there's at least one Meet & Greet, a few meetings to organize private excursions, etc ... Trivia starts, arts & craft classes start ... there are so many things to do. On, and the port lectures, to prepare you for where you're going!

The air of anticipation around the ship is just wonderful, as everyone is looking forward to their explorations!

If you have those days at the end of the trip, as we have, they are for finally relaxing, packing, saying goodbyes, wrapping up "business" ... and looking forward to getting home again!

One of the things we really like about the longer voyages is that they usually seem to start with at least one sea day. (Our Grand Asia/Aust took 8 days to cross the Pacific and another day was added due to weather)

Anyway, we spend those days exploring the ship, getting to know our co-inhabitants, there's at least one Meet & Greet, a few meetings to organize private excursions, etc ... Trivia starts, arts & craft classes start ... there are so many things to do. On, and the port lectures, to prepare you for where you're going!

The air of anticipation around the ship is just wonderful, as everyone is looking forward to their explorations!

If you have those days at the end of the trip, as we have, they are for finally relaxing, packing, saying goodbyes, wrapping up "business" ... and looking forward to getting home again!

I like the way you captured the ambience of a longer cruise.