Kids Club

My husband and I have taken many RCCL cruises, but we have yet to take one with our children. We just returned from a Disney cruise where the kids club is obviously above and beyond. They have also been on NCL, and the kids club is just fair. I was wondering how the RCCL kids club is in comparison, and if anyone can give me a general overview. I would love to take them on a Royal Caribbean cruise because I love the ships and the overall cruise line, but wanted to make sure the kids club would keep them happy and occupied for a few hrs here and there. Thanks in advance!

My husband and I have taken many RCCL cruises, but we have yet to take one with our children. We just returned from a Disney cruise where the kids club is obviously above and beyond. They have also been on NCL, and the kids club is just fair. I was wondering how the RCCL kids club is in comparison, and if anyone can give me a general overview. I would love to take them on a Royal Caribbean cruise because I love the ships and the overall cruise line, but wanted to make sure the kids club would keep them happy and occupied for a few hrs here and there. Thanks in advance!

Here's a good thread on Adventure Ocean:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2060369

We've done both and RCL wins hands down with our kids. Note, we always cruise when most kids are in school, but we have found the activities were more fun and group oriented on RCL. The kids prepared and did a talent show for the parents, participated in a pirate parade/mini show, did crafts, played lots of games and met lots of new friends. I had to drag them out at 10pm - even the 4 year old. We also found the kids club counsellors knew their names by Day 2, which was way more personable than what they experienced on Disney where they were 2 of hundreds of kids - they engaged our kids and made them feel welcome. I can't speak to what it is like in peak season however.

My son (now almost 7) has been on 7 cruises--2 Disney and 5 RCL. We love the age group system on RCL. They have a schedule of activities and themes for each day part. The crew members get to know the kids by their name and are very friendly. They do have games that get the kids going and involved, but it is much calmer and quieter. They do cute things with the different age groups including parades and puppet and talent shows. Having the kids grouped by age made for less chaos. The 3-5 group and 6-8 group are connected by a gate, so little ones can see their older siblings to say hi if they want to do so.

Disney had lots of themed rooms that were cute. The kids area is one big room with smaller rooms off of it--think like a wagon wheel. The kids area is open play for all kids from 3 years old all the way through the kids that are 11 and haven't turned 12 yet. It is a big age difference and resulted in lots of little ones getting knocked over. It is very noisy and chaotic. My son was rather overwhelmed with all of the chaos. They did have "family time" when we could go in and play with him. We tried to use that time to show him around and let him know what activities were available. None of the staff knew him or his name. He was just another kid in the kids area. They did have activities scheduled, but they were usually at the game floor and involved lots of noise. They had computers to use, movies, some crafts, and a small play area.

I would pick the ship carefully. We were on the Enchantment and the kids club was basically a couple of rooms (not like the larger Royal Caribbean ships). Because of the small area, my 3-year old could see my 7-year old in the next room, however they would not let her in to go be with her which created quite a bit of drama. The Enchantment did not have any other activities outside of the kids club so take that into consideration when looking at ships. Staff are very nice, the larger ships may have larger clubs and more kid-friendly amenities.

My kids liked Disney Dream with themed rooms, themed restaurants, characters, shows and fireworks; but they really loved RC Independence of the Seas, and RC Liberty of the Seas with Adventure Ocean kids club, parades and H2O Zone kids water park.

RC Liberty has Dreamworks: Characters from Madagascar, Kung fu Panda, and 3D Theater Movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums