Help me decide:Sunshine, Valor or Liberty?

rdh rules

Hello all! I have read so many reviews on here and have always looked at CC for answers.:D We have done 3 small ship Carnival and 2 large ship Princess. We wanted to try a large ship Carnival. We wanted the Dream class but flights seem to be a lot more than our last flight in April, so we're looking at driving 8.5hrs to Port Canaveral in Feb, Mar or April. We're looking at doing 7 days w/ Liberty to the Eastern or 8 days w/ Valor or Sunshine to the Southern or 8 days w/Valor to Eastern. These will be all new ports, except Nassau, so we really don't care about which itinerary. We actually want more sea days! Which one do you guys think will be the better choice. It's just me and my dh and no kids. I'm 37 and he's 49 and we don't party. Normally Serenity or the promenade is our favorite hangout spots and we love to watch movies at night! We always do anytime dining too. Thanks in advance!!!

All ships will have the big screen outdoors to show movies at night. Sunshine has the best serenity area. It really looks nice, although many people have reported that ship to be very crowded, way more than other Carnival ships. The stats back it up. It's smaller than Liberty & Valor, but Sunshine carries more guests & has less public space. Some people reporting difficulty finding chairs, especially in serenity. All 3 will have a serenity area. Sunshine's serenity area, although very nice, is right in front of the loud pool area with the music & games, so the noise from that is heard in serenity.

Sunshine's public venues indoors are also quite small, too small for the number of guests that it carries, according to reports. These crowding issues don't bother many of those cruisers, but that might bother you. If so, Liberty or Valor would be the ones to go with. Liberty has slightly better burgers & an upgraded burrito/taco stand. Other than that, those 2 ships are very similar.

Interesting decision especially since the Valor and Liberty will be switching embarkation ports in late March. Based on value alone, the 2/20 8 day Sunshine sailing at 409 pp is the best bet. The other 8 day sailings do not come close to this price. If you're leaning towards the Valor, the 4/17 sailing @ 539 is your best bet. The Liberty has many of the 2.0 upgrades and the 2/15 @ 359 or the 3/1 @ 389 are your better choices. The Liberty is a great ship, but the choices are all 7 days, while the other previously mentioned choices are all 8 day sailings.

Only you can decide which is more important, the later departure date of 4/17 on the Valor gives you the best weather, but the Feb Sunshine sailing and the 2 Liberty choices give you better value.

Liberty has slightly better burgers & an upgraded burrito/taco stand. Other than that, those 2 ships are very similar.
Just in case the OP likes to imbibe in an adult beverage, the Liberty has the Alchemy Bar, Red Frog Rum Bar, Blue Iguana Tequila Bar and EA Sports Bar that are all part of the 2.0 upgrades that are located on the Liberty that are not on the Valor. And to say that Guy's Burgers are only slightly better that the normal hockey pucks found on many of the Carnival ships is an understatement. And the Blue Iguana Burrito area serves breakfast on the Liberty, whereas the Burrito window on the Valor does not.

We have been on both the liberty and sunshine. For us I would pick liberty. While we enjoyed sunshine we really enjoy the adults only pool on the aft. And sunshine don't have it. And sunshine serinity is awesome it is so hard to find a chair or two free. We just enjoyed the layout of liberty the most.

I would pick the 8 day Southern route, it is FANTASTIC. That's the best itinerary by far. Between Valor and Sunshine, I would choose Sunshine even though I have never sailed either ship. She has gone through a makeover that added more dining options and activities than Valor has (Waterworks, Guy's, Blue Iguana, Alchemy Bar). Her Serenity deck also looks great.

Actually considering how you describe yourselves I would like to suggest the Valor. I think it is a more laid back ship. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of 2.0 but we found it to be a wonderful ship. I suspect the extra activity found on lido on 2.0 ships might detract from the outdoor movie experience. We got bumped from the Valor to the Liberty for this fall, and are actually disappointed.

I understand you are not party animals but at your age I would not suggest the Sunshine. It is not a typical Carnival cruise. They reviews have been the same and same problems as I experienced last April. Great ship but many issues. My biggest was the bands on board and music . On most ships they stagger the entertainment so there is always something playing. They all close by 1130. The nightclub was only open 2 nights and closed by midnight. otherwise Love the layout and the ship itself.

Liberty we have been on 3 times. So sorry it's moving to SJ. Awesome time every single time .

Dream we were on when it first came out and again a great ship Loved Loved it !!!

Valor . I love sea days also so I am not sure what to do since I have fallen in love with the 2.o upgrades and Valor has not received it yet. Love the itinerary for April 4 sea days. So relaxing !!! Also my favorite Dj is on this ship right now she is amazing !!! So I am also confused as to what ship to do . I am waiting to friend out the band that is on board.

In terms of ports . I have been to all and ST Thomas to many times to count. My favorite ports are Southern Aruba Curacau Grand Turk and the private island Half Moon Cay.

If you have any questions email me or post here

danceboots15@yahoo.com

We are mid 40's with a Camp Carnival kid !!!!

we are also considering NCL as we were so unhappy with the Sunshine this past year ;)

Actually considering how you describe yourselves I would like to suggest the Valor. I think it is a more laid back ship. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of 2.0 but we found it to be a wonderful ship. I suspect the extra activity found on lido on 2.0 ships might detract from the outdoor movie experience. We got bumped from the Valor to the Liberty for this fall, and are actually disappointed.

Anyone know what bands are on the Valor ?

Valor! I don't like the 2.0 upgrades. The shows suck and the Guys and Blue Iguana are so so. I miss old school carnival with the Mongolian Wok, Burrito Bar, and Fish n Chips which the Valor has. I cant wait to sail on her in 2 weeks, but being on the Glory in 2013...it made me miss old carnival, so doing the victory in 2013 was awesome!

Plus I heard the Sunshine is just so so and I would rather sail the Breeze or Magic because those are really the new ships.

Valor! I don't like the 2.0 upgrades. The shows suck and the Guys and Blue Iguana are so so. I miss old school carnival with the Mongolian Wok, Burrito Bar, and Fish n Chips which the Valor has. I cant wait to sail on her in 2 weeks, but being on the Glory in 2013...it made me miss old carnival, so doing the victory in 2013 was awesome!

Plus I heard the Sunshine is just so so and I would rather sail the Breeze or Magic because those are really the new ships.

Please make up your mind......you want to sail on the Breeze or the Magic, but at the same time you don't like the 2.0 upgrades. Both of those ships have the 2.0 upgrades. You like the old Burrito Bar, but the Blue Iguana is so so. The Blue Iguana has everything that the old Burrito Bar has, plus more including being open for breakfast. I guess you must like the hockey pucks for hamburgers that are the norm, because you don't like Guy's. Regarding the Mongolian Wok, it's available on 15 ships in the fleet, including the Liberty and the Valor as you mentioned.

Just like there is a market for those that like the Fantasy class ships for short cruises, there are still a few ships that are larger that do have have all of the whistles and bells and upgrades that many cruisers enjoy. Even though your posting sends mixed messages, I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise on the Valor.

Please make up your mind......you want to sail on the Breeze or the Magic, but at the same time you don't like the 2.0 upgrades. Both of those ships have the 2.0 upgrades. You like the old Burrito Bar, but the Blue Iguana is so so. The Blue Iguana has everything that the old Burrito Bar has, plus more including being open for breakfast. I guess you must like the hockey pucks for hamburgers that are the norm, because you don't like Guy's. Regarding the Mongolian Wok, it's available on 15 ships in the fleet, including the Liberty and the Valor as you mentioned.

Just like there is a market for those that like the Fantasy class ships for short cruises, there are still a few ships that are larger that do have have all of the whistles and bells and upgrades that many cruisers enjoy. Even though your posting sends mixed messages, I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise on the Valor.

The Magic isn't 2.0 like the Breeze is. But I would rather sail a newer ship in that fleet over the Sunshine, which was like putting lipstick on a pig.

The Blue Iguana is cruddy and the Victory didn't have hockey pucks for burgers. I felt guys burgers were too greasy.

I think your posting is passive aggressive when all I did was give an opinion as that's what the OP wanted.

and I will enjoy my Valor cruise thank you very much!

Edited by ILCruzr

The Magic isn't 2.0 like the Breeze is. But I would rather sail a newer ship in that fleet over the Sunshine, which was like putting lipstick on a pig.

The Blue Iguana is cruddy and the Victory didn't have hockey pucks for burgers. I felt guys burgers were too greasy.

I think your posting is passive aggressive when all I did was give an opinion as that's what the OP wanted.

and I will enjoy my Valor cruise thank you very much!

Please tell me how you have such an opinion on the Sunshine when you haven't even sailed her yet!

Wow. That was kind of rude. The Magic is completely different from the Breeze since Magic doesn't have all the upgrades that the Breeze does.

Guys thanks for all your input. We decided on Liberty because we originally wanted to take the Dream class and we wanted to experience many of the new fun 2.0 additions. The sunshine honestly scared me with all the negative reviews and being smaller and having more people on it. So it was a toss up with Valor and Liberty and my husband says....I want to go soon let's do Feb so Liberty was sold. I just called Carnival's PVP and he gave me the super saver price of $369/inside (which is what we like) and $100 OBC, so we paid $1100 w/ tax/tip for 7 nights. Can't beat that!!! I have been on the small Fantasy class and I can have fun/relaxation anywhere and I'm sure Liberty will be great :D Thanks again!

Please tell me how you have such an opinion on the Sunshine when you haven't even sailed her yet!

The sunshine is the destiny, which I sailed. I heard mixed things about it and really have no desire to sail the sunshine. I would rather sail the Dream class. Plus I have two friends who sailed on the sunshine and said the wouldn't recommend it.

Guys thanks for all your input. We decided on Liberty because we originally wanted to take the Dream class and we wanted to experience many of the new fun 2.0 additions. The sunshine honestly scared me with all the negative reviews and being smaller and having more people on it. So it was a toss up with Valor and Liberty and my husband says....I want to go soon let's do Feb so Liberty was sold. I just called Carnival's PVP and he gave me the super saver price of $369/inside (which is what we like) and $100 OBC, so we paid $1100 w/ tax/tip for 7 nights. Can't beat that!!! I have been on the small Fantasy class and I can have fun/relaxation anywhere and I'm sure Liberty will be great :D Thanks again!

You will have a great time!! enjoy your trip ;) And being that you are sailing in Feb, you couldn't do the Valor since she is in San Juan, but maybe next year when she is in Port Canaveral you can. I will let you know how great she is when I sail her in a few weeks!

Wow. That was kind of rude. The Magic is completely different from the Breeze since Magic doesn't have all the upgrades that the Breeze does.

Yes some people can be rude, especially when they say stuff that isn't true!

I think you made the right decision for you. Liberty consistently gets great reviews from people. It has the newer food stands, but also still has the live music for the shows. I didn't think Guys burgers were all that great, but plenty of people think they're way better than the old burgers (which I never thought were bad at all). It was nice to give them & the burrito/taco stand on Breeze. I liked the burritos, especially the breakfast burritos. You do lose a couple things with the addition of those stands, but it's nice to try something different. And it's really nice that Liberty didn't get rid of the showband.

Edited by k2excursion