Back to back cruises

Cruisfan

Happy New Year everyone,

We are doing a back to back cruise in Feb. which leaves Frt Lauderdale and returns there after a week to start up again. Is there a special line for people who wish to go ashore and return to the ship later on that day and also has anyone brought wine aboard ship for the second leg of the cruise without paying the corkage fee?

Cruisfan

Edited by Cruisfan

You will need to leave the ship between the cruises as they need to zero the ship (no passengers on board). You will receive instructions a day or 2 before you dock about what you need to do and your "in transit" card. In early Dec, we had a 9:30 meeting time in the Vista Lounge, then we were paraded into the terminal where we waited a few minutes, then back on the ship. If you want to go ashore, you go thru immigration. Did not see a separate line for in transit passengers. If you take a ship's tour, they will take you thru immigration.

Cannot help about the wine - sorry.

Thanks for the quick response. It's more complicated than we thought....

If you are going to get off the ship then you should still have the in transit pass which means you don't have to wait for boarding as those checking in do.

If this is a true back to back (not a collectors cruise) you should be able to bring on another bottle of wine per person. I believe that is what some have reported, at least. At the worst, you would need to pay the corkage fee.

Edited by kazu

The day before your first segment ends you will get a letter indicating the time and place to meet to go through immigration.

Remember to take your passport.

There are no separate lines for those who wish to leave the terminal. You just go when you are ready to go shopping, etc.

If you decide to bring wine onto the ship for the second segment you will have to pay the $18 corkage fee.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

IT IS NOT VERY COMPLICATED AT ALL. Have done it many times and only once had a "snafu" and that was due to bad fog and a couple hours delay in arriving in port in Tampa and then it was the port people who caused the mess.

FLL is much more experienced.

I can only speak for Carnival and HAL. tho

Dont be afraid to try it, but remember to keep smiling. BON VOYAGE

Something else -- if your cruise goes in and out on Sundays -- remember that Florida doesn't sell wine or alcohol until after Noon time.

Thanks for pointing this out. We were not aware of that policy, hence no rush to get off the ship.

Cruisfan

If you are going to get off the ship then you should still have the in transit pass which means you don't have to wait for boarding as those checking in do.

If this is a true back to back (not a collectors cruise) you should be able to bring on another bottle of wine per person. I believe that is what some have reported, at least. At the worst, you would need to pay the corkage fee.

What is a collectors cruise? I've never heard of this before.

Nicole

We have done quite a few of them.

They used to be called back-to-back cruises and you did 2 different itineraries. You also got 2 different booking numbers.

A few years ago HAL tried something different by combining a couple back-to-back cruises and calling them Collector Cruises. You do the same 2 itineraries as a back-to-back cruise but you only have 1 booking number. Many people liked the idea of having only 1 booking number so HAL now has quite a few Collector Cruises.

Thanks for pointing this out. We were not aware of that policy, hence no rush to get off the ship.

Cruisfan

You will have to get off the ship between 9:30 and 10.

The ship must get down to "zero" count before any In Transit people can get back on the ship as well as allowing new passengers to get on the ship.

I did this last year on a Quebec City to Boston and back and did not have to get off the ship in Boston while others embarked. It was nice and quiet for a bit. We felt like the entire ship was ours. We chose not to get off and just relaxed. I don't know why we b2b got to stay on, but it was nice.

We have done quite a few of them.

They used to be called back-to-back cruises and you did 2 different itineraries. You also got 2 different booking numbers.

A few years ago HAL tried something different by combining a couple back-to-back cruises and calling them Collector Cruises. You do the same 2 itineraries as a back-to-back cruise but you only have 1 booking number. Many people liked the idea of having only 1 booking number so HAL now has quite a few Collector Cruises.

Thank you for this info. I guess the Magic of the Mediterranean cruise that we are booked on must be a collector cruise. I never saw this mentioned on any of the info we have from HAL.