Sharks in Grand Cayman

baggyparsnips

I know this might sound a little pathetic but whilst I love snorkelling, my worst nightmare would be to see a shark when in the sea. I am looking at the Rays, reef and rum point tour but wouldn't want to do it if I might encounter a shark!!

Has anyone seen sharks in these areas of Grand Cayman please?

Thank you!!

Sharks are in EVERY body of water..even in some rivers!!! The odds of you seeing anything large enough to hurt you are less than your odds of hitting the biggest jackpot ever...while being struck by lightening!

When I was a kid, we would beach at Chesapeake Bay...near a fishing pier...hammerheads were everywhere, yet, I'm still here!!

Edited by cb at sea

I have seen some moderate sized nurse sharks in Cayman's popular snorkel and scuba areas but that's all from the shark family .... various rays are common and recently there have been several manta sightings off 7 Mile and down towards Eden and Sunset . . .

DH ended up with a couple of 4-5' reef sharks snorkelling with him and his buddies under the dock at Morritt's a couple of years ago, but that's understandable since some fishermen were cleaning their catch off the edge of the dock at the time. We've never seen any type of shark in the Rum Point area (he has logged about 200 swim days in that area). We've never seen a shark out at Stingray City either, in about 30 trips.

DH has asked me to add the fact that more people are killed by falling vending machines in the US each year than are killed each year by sharks worldwide.

Edited by bookbabe

In the overnight hours, hammerhead sharks routinely come into the shallow waters of the North Sound to attempt to feed on the stingrays. The hammerheads are occasionally seen by boats visiting very early in the morning (around dawn) but are gone by the time the busy tour boats arrive later in the morning.

Years ago I occasionally worked on boats offering tours to the rays. In hundreds of trips during normal tourist hours I never saw a hammerhead, or any other kind of shark at Stingray City or the Stingray Sandbar.

I worked on Grand Cayman on 7 mile beach for 3 winters and stayed out by the turtle farm. We worked nights so days were wide open and I did 3 dives a day during the entire time I was there and other than a few nurse sharks we never saw any sharks. We even paid to go on a hammer head dive and did not see one. We dove all over the island and it is some of the best diving in the world. We did see plenty of rays and a couple of times some really large manta rays. I have a friend who has a time share there and he and his wife are avid divers and they have never had any issues with sharks. I have not been there in many years but we are going back next week on NCL Epic. I am not the least concerned about sharks and I don't think you should be either. Go and enjoy the beautiful marine life and reefs. It really is an amazing place to snorkel or dive.