3 Night Dream Worth It?

svcalum07

Hello!

My mom and I are going on her first cruise and we are debating between a 3 or 4 night Disney Dream. I think she is leaning towards a 3 night to see how she does cruising but it's only $600 difference between a 3 and 4 night…

Is a 3 night worth it?

I've only been on one cruise (March '13: Dream 4 night) and loved having the day at sea to explore since I did an excursion at Nassau and went to CC.

Any thoughts or advice would be great! We will most likely be booking it for March or early June of 2015...

In my opinion, no a 3 night is not worth doing. There is a HUGE difference between a 3 and a 4 night cruise. A 3 night is really only 2 1/2 days. You barely find your cabin and it is time to get off. On a 4 night you will have a sea day. This is a truly wonderful thing! You get to enjoy the ship and not just use it as a floating hotel.

Also, the cost difference between a 3 and 4 night is not great when factored into the whole vacation. You still have to have transportation to the terminal. This is a fixed cost no matter how long you cruise (unless parking is a factor). The cost to get to Orlando is the same.

I have done 3/4/7/12/14 etc night cruises on DCL. In all honesty, I would go down to a lower category of cabin and add the 4th night if the issue is money. $600 seems like a lot for one night, but you don't tell us how many people. I'm guessing that you are looking at some sort of balcony cabin. If there are 3 or fewer of you, you can save some money and still have a balcony by getting a cat 7 rather than a cat 5. If you have flexible dates, you can look at those cruises that have VGT rates available. There are ways to "tweak" the system without diminishing the fun of the cruise and still save a bit.

Also look at dates. A balcony cabin on the Mar 2 cruise (4 nights) is $700 less than the same cruise on Mar 9. And it is $1200 less than the end of March! That's because spring break prices are starting to hit!

Edited by moki'smommy

I just did a quick web search for Wonder cruises in March and notice the prices vary between 900 and 1200 pp IGT. Some are 3 nights and some are 4.

We just booked (3 days ago) the Disney Magic 7 nights March 1st for 770 pp. The cruise before it and after it are double this cost, and go up after that. I have no idea why the price difference but I didn't ask questions, I quickly booked us and our Grandchildren.

For less money we get more time on a Disney cruise .... No question !!! If interested take a look, I believe the prices are still in effect. While we were booking the price went up 200 dollars for our little 3 year old so the prices may be changing while we talk.

Thanks for the advice!!! I'm a teacher so I'm limited to the last week in March which I know is high rates for Spring Break or early June when I'm finished with school. I teach at a private school so I'm limited in the days off I can take and have restrictions as well so going during our "off school times" is the easiest but for a cruise is not always the cheapest!

Worth it is relative. If a 4 day is not an option, than the 3 day is certainly worth exploring. If you have the choice between the two, and the schedule and budget fits, I would do the 4 day without question for the reasons noted above.

Thanks for the advice!!! I'm a teacher so I'm limited to the last week in March which I know is high rates for Spring Break or early June when I'm finished with school. I teach at a private school so I'm limited in the days off I can take and have restrictions as well so going during our "off school times" is the easiest but for a cruise is not always the cheapest!

I understand COMPLETELY. My wife was a teacher for 35 years and with our kids we had limited choices such as what you are describing. GOOD NEWS (for us) she has retired and we now enjoy the benefits of anytime vacations.

I know it is hard, but your day will come and you will enjoy it more because of the time you are spending now. Whatever you choose, I wish you a great vacation.

To find out if she likes cruising, she'll need to do a 4 night cruise. The 3 day cruise is in port each day (port Canaveral, Nassau, and castaway cay). It wouldn't be until a 4 day that you get a sea day. If you don't "try" a sea day, IMHO, you don't really know if cruising is for you. To me, its the "no port, do I just like being on the ship?" question that determines if cruising is your kind of vacation.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Do you still get the optional "dress-up" night AND pirate night on the 3 night cruise? I would hate to miss either of those as I really enjoyed them on the 4 night!

Edited by svcalum07

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Do you still get the optional "dress-up" night AND pirate night on the 3 night cruise? I would hate to miss either of those as I really enjoyed them on the 4 night!

Yes, Optional Dress Up night is typically night 3 with Pirate night on night 2. You don't get the Pirate menu, but the show and fireworks will be on that night.