Report: RCI accommodations for a pescetarian

epixx

Since one of our family members recently became a pescetarian, I would like to report on RCI's accommodations in that regard during our three RCI cruises (AOS, SOS, and LOS). Our most recent experience was on LOS 12/24/14.

As most of you know, the nightly dining room menu offers a nightly vegetarian option, as well as baked salmon. We found that the vegetarian option was sometimes unappealing and that the baked salmon was often overly bland.

However, I am delighted to report that when we discussed additional options with the head waiter on each of these ships, he offered and we received some outstanding dishes. Each night the head waiter showed us the menu for the next night and made suggestions or asked us what additional items we would like. Frequently, we requested and received a selection of vegetarian Indian curries. On our recent cruise we requested teriyaki salmon, which was excellent. So for those of you with somewhat restricted diets, I recommend discussing additional options each night with the head waiters, who, in our experience, were uniformly creative and receptive to suggestion.

My husband was a pescetarian for our cruise on Allure of the Seas a few years ago. Even at Samba Grill, they were able to accommodate him by serving up some grilled salmon for him. He reported that it was delicious, and they even offered to make him a second serving (which he declined)!

THANK YOU! I am a pescatarian, so this is helpful. Glad to hear the vegetarian Indian cuisine is still around - I loved it on my last cruise with RCI almost 10 years ago.

The Indian dishes are not on the menu; ask your waiter. On our Navigator cruise last March we commented to our waiter we will miss the dishes. He said just let him know and he would place an order for Indian dishes and have them delivered to us at the table. Delish...and we left the choices up to him.

Since one of our family members recently became a pescetarian, I would like to report on RCI's accommodations in that regard during our three RCI cruises (AOS, SOS, and LOS). Our most recent experience was on LOS 12/24/14.

As most of you know, the nightly dining room menu offers a nightly vegetarian option, as well as baked salmon. We found that the vegetarian option was sometimes unappealing and that the baked salmon was often overly bland.

However, I am delighted to report that when we discussed additional options with the head waiter on each of these ships, he offered and we received some outstanding dishes. Each night the head waiter showed us the menu for the next night and made suggestions or asked us what additional items we would like. Frequently, we requested and received a selection of vegetarian Indian curries. On our recent cruise we requested teriyaki salmon, which was excellent. So for those of you with somewhat restricted diets, I recommend discussing additional options each night with the head waiters, who, in our experience, were uniformly creative and receptive to suggestion.

What is a pescetarian ?

I had no clue what it was but since Google is my friend, I looked it up...

Pescetarianism /ˌpɛskɨˈtɛəriən/ (also spelled pescatarianism) is the practice of following a diet that includes fish or other seafood, but not the flesh of other animals. A pescetarian diet typically shares many of its components with a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet and may include vegetables, fruit, nuts, grains, beans, eggs, dairy, and insect byproducts (such as honey or shellac), but a vegetarian diet excludes meat. The Merriam-Webster dictionary dates the origin of the term pescetarian to 1993 and defines it as: "one whose diet includes fish but no other meat."
Edited by Trainman-2