Booking excursions?

LoisLane0

Hi all,

I'm a cruising newbie We went on a Disney Cruise years ago and that's it. We're going to Alaska this summer (YAY!!) and I'm making inquiries on various tours at the ports.

I have a logistic question. If the ship itinerary says we arrive at port at 11 am and I want to book an external tour, how much time would you advise I budget in as padding in case the ship is late at the dock? I'm factoring in the trip from the boat to the tour (most of these places seem to offer pick up at the dock) but I'm thinking I should give an extra hour in case the ship is late?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by LoisLane0

If the ship is docking, I'd plan 30 minutes after arrival time plus any time needed to get to where your tour starts. You should plan to be back for re-boarding an hour before sailing time to allow for delays.

If the ship is tendering at the port, allow an hour and a half to be safe. After the ship anchors, the tender platform has to be deployed, the local officials board, a tender sent to shore to set up tendering/landing operations there... all before tendering passengers can begin. The first passengers are those on Princess tours. Passengers with independent tours are instructed to go to a lounge or location to pick up tender tickets. It's first come, first served. A few independents get on the first few tenders. When returning to the ship, plan on arriving at the tender dock an hour and a half before sailaway. It takes time for the crew to ferry the last passengers to the ship, undo the landing operations, undo the tender platform and raise the tenders.

If the ship is docking, I'd plan 30 minutes after arrival time plus any time needed to get to where your tour starts. You should plan to be back for re-boarding an hour before sailing time to allow for delays.

If the ship is tendering at the port, allow an hour and a half to be safe. After the ship anchors, the tender platform has to be deployed, the local officials board, a tender sent to shore to set up tendering/landing operations there... all before tendering passengers can begin. The first passengers are those on Princess tours. Passengers with independent tours are instructed to go to a lounge or location to pick up tender tickets. It's first come, first served. A few independents get on the first few tenders. When returning to the ship, plan on arriving at the tender dock an hour and a half before sailaway. It takes time for the crew to ferry the last passengers to the ship, undo the landing operations, undo the tender platform and raise the tenders.

Thank you so much! This was extremely helpful.

If you are taking a private tour, then the tour operator will know about what time you will get off the boat and he/she will tell you where to meet them. As far as getting back in time, they too know that. I always tell them 1 1/2 hour before final boarding, but then that is I!

If you are going to rent a cab, well, then timing isn't as important. On all my private tours, the operator basically told me about what time to meet him and where!

Pooh

If you are taking a private tour, then the tour operator will know about what time you will get off the boat and he/she will tell you where to meet them. As far as getting back in time, they too know that. I always tell them 1 1/2 hour before final boarding, but then that is I!

If you are going to rent a cab, well, then timing isn't as important. On all my private tours, the operator basically told me about what time to meet him and where!

Pooh

Thank you! I've been emailing back and forth with some great folks and yes, they've been giving me times that work for when we arrive.

I really really appreciate the advice and knowledge base here. I know my questions sound a little foolish, but usually we fly to our destinations then rent cars or go on trains or use the public transit system (if they have one) to get around so this is all new to me.

Thanks again!!