Booking got canceled

SLSH

oh no I am so sorry you had your booking cancelled :(

We always book when we are on board the ship and we only ever pay the deposit and then pay the remaining balance within the due date of payment. So this could have easily happened to me and my family.

Possible solutions?

• Is there any way you can contact the Maitre D to request the dining time? I know I seen a recent thread with the email addresses for all the ships Maitre D's on each ship.

• Could you contact Carnival and explain you need to be with your family? I am assuming Carnival does not allow for children to be in a room without adult supervision.

• If nothing can be done regarding the rooms not being close you could make it a challenge with your children, which room can decorate the cabin door the best or have it so one or two nights you have a slumber party in one room and a slumber party in the other room :)

• Have you booked a standard interior cabin? or have you looked at possibly having an interior cabin that has two pullman beds? that way if you have two children and two adults you can all stay within the same room?

Despite the bad experience I do hope you have a wonderful cruise and once again I am sorry your going through this, but please try to enjoy your time on board

I had the exact same thing happen and called immediately; of course, I was only a day or 2 off, not a month or more like you were. They reinstated everything. It was pretty easy, but then again, the room I wanted was still available. Your price shouldn't change if they can keep you in the same category of rooms. And you can keep calling daily to see if they have had cancellations and can move you around a bit. It might take some leg work on your part, but you may get lucky.

Edited by A&Jfamily

Remember how Carnival dropped the ball, while your on your cruise and setting on the fence about whether to buy a picture, trinket in the shops or whatnot.

Might help take the sting out of the extra charges you had to pay because they didn't automatically charge your credit card.

• 2 months later...

First, I want to start off by saying I'm not new to cruising.(24 cruises in 25 years) Only one of our cruises had been with Carnival and it was nice. We thought we would try a short 4 night out of Charleston, SC. I booked this cruise in Dec. of 2014 for a May 2015 sailing. I did not receive an email confirmation and when I attempted to log on using my email address it would not go through. However, my cc had been charged the 300 deposit so I was not to concerned. On Jan. 25, 2015 I decided to call since I could still not log on and needed details of the cruise. It turned out my email was wrong and contained suth instead of south. The agent I spoke with said he would correct it and I did receive my confirmation by email. The balance being due March 8. Around mid Feb I attempted to log on and pay the balance. It once again would not go through. I tried several days. I attempted to call Carnival on several occasions and was always on hold until I had to hang up. I was out of town at a conference the week it was due so as soon as I got home I tried once more and could note log on. My husband suggested trying the incorrect email and it went through with it but my cruise had been canceled. I called and was on hold for about 10 minutes and finally got throgh. I was told my cruise had been cancelled on the 9th, this was the 15th. They told me I had been sent email reminders. I did not receive these and evidently they had gone to the incorrect email address which is why I could not log on. She talked with a supervisor that told me I could rebook but it was going to be several hundred more than the original price. This was not acceptable and we have just chalked it up to an expensive mistake. We have rebooked on another cruise lines. This will not stop us from cruising but we WILL NOT be cruising on Carnival Cruise Lines.

We always mark on the calendar the due date minus 1 week. We never wait until Final Payment Date to allow for the unknown. Website down, phones down, can't reach PVP, sick, whatever. Works for us.

This modern world of automation and non-face to face contact is now a reality and usually works well, but it is still the end-users TOTAL responsibility to make sure THEY are following through to get the end result they desire. Think of all the things that could go wrong...information typed incorrectly, credit cards not having "available" funds when automatic payments are due, people not reading all correspondence promptly, PVPs leaving Carnival between the time someone booked and the time final payment is due, TAs not being responsible to their clients.

The reality is that "contracts" are between Carnival and the traveler, no matter how many middlemen get involved. If a Passenger DOES NOT follow through, no matter what the circumstances, a cruise line shouldn't be held responsible.

This is a good lesson that we should be more hands on and shouldn't expect other individuals to be our watch dogs...

I always do it all my self... Everything is so automated the internet 3rd party cruise websites are literally dummy proof. Pricing to cabin selection is a breeze and there are options to even get lower pricing. I usually pay off cruise in full when booking...but the few times I placed deposits...I was reminded several times , via email, when payments were due. I find the need for less human involvement the best unless I initiate it. I recognize automation isn't 100% accurate but it seems more on point than relying on human reminders/interaction.

First, I want to start off by saying I'm not new to cruising.(24 cruises in 25 years) Only one of our cruises had been with Carnival and it was nice. We thought we would try a short 4 night out of Charleston, SC. I booked this cruise in Dec. of 2014 for a May 2015 sailing. I did not receive an email confirmation and when I attempted to log on using my email address it would not go through. However, my cc had been charged the 300 deposit so I was not to concerned. On Jan. 25, 2015 I decided to call since I could still not log on and needed details of the cruise. It turned out my email was wrong and contained suth instead of south. The agent I spoke with said he would correct it and I did receive my confirmation by email. The balance being due March 8. Around mid Feb I attempted to log on and pay the balance. It once again would not go through. I tried several days. I attempted to call Carnival on several occasions and was always on hold until I had to hang up. I was out of town at a conference the week it was due so as soon as I got home I tried once more and could note log on. My husband suggested trying the incorrect email and it went through with it but my cruise had been canceled. I called and was on hold for about 10 minutes and finally got throgh. I was told my cruise had been cancelled on the 9th, this was the 15th. They told me I had been sent email reminders. I did not receive these and evidently they had gone to the incorrect email address which is why I could not log on. She talked with a supervisor that told me I could rebook but it was going to be several hundred more than the original price. This was not acceptable and we have just chalked it up to an expensive mistake. We have rebooked on another cruise lines. This will not stop us from cruising but we WILL NOT be cruising on Carnival Cruise Lines.

It really would have worked to your advantage to have checked up on your booking more often. You let weeks go by after you first booked and didn't receive the confirmation. I can't understand that one. Even if the money had come out of your account, why not find out what's going on right away?

Maybe it's just how I am, but I think being a bit more diligent and aggressive could have saved your booking and your money. If you have a final payment due, don't just hang up if you can't get through. Yes sometimes the holds are super long. Call in the off hours or just keep calling. You know you have a reservation at risk for being cancelled. Being out of town shouldn't have mattered. Cell phones these days work all over the world.

Sorry this happened to you.

yes and no to that number. many are done systematically thru their system without agent involvement. The question I would raise...although we have a signon and our cruise is shown under cruise planner...Perhaps a reminder link sent to our email address as a reminder would be nice.... I know we get reminder to ensure we have completed our online documentation...so why not payment reminder...Simple filter/program addon.

Oh my goodness! I feel great sympathy for you!!! What a disheartening thing to happen. It was an easy mistake to make. I would also expect the PVP to have your back on something like this. I am so very sorry for the dissapointment & frustration this has caused you & your family. May peace & joy surround your vacation despite what happened. Best wishes for a fun SEA-esta!!!

yes and no to that number. many are done systematically thru their system without agent involvement. The question I would raise...although we have a signon and our cruise is shown under cruise planner...Perhaps a reminder link sent to our email address as a reminder would be nice.... I know we get reminder to ensure we have completed our online documentation...so why not payment reminder...Simple filter/program addon.

The email address was wrong. That was the problem. Probably a simple keystroke error. But the point is that you can't rely on emails only. You have to set your own reminders. There's alot of ways to do it. I have reminders on my phone and tablet. Then someone like my mom whose not into gadgets simply writes things down. Reminders were sent - just to the wrong email. You gotta be on top of things when you make a deposit and then money becomes due later. No way around it. I don't care how much technology may play a part.

I have recently booked a couple of cruises, and am so glad I read this thread. During one of the bookings, my PVP asked if I wanted the final payment to just go through on the payment date. I told her yes. So I suppose I should double check that, huh? Thanks for the heads up!

Maybe it's just me... but the idea of booking over the phone and then not really doing anything with your booking online is foreign to me. When I booked with a PVP I was on my online account a few days later. Then, I was on there frequently after... Just looking at the itinerary, checking out the ship, and looking at the amount of days that were left until my cruise. Then I would also just pay some of the cruise off here and there.

Call me crazy.

I'm just joining those who are wishing you well. I use a TA who requires the final payment from us two weeks before the Carnival final payment date just to be sure that everything has time to be completed before the mad rush of others making those final payments just at the due date.

I'm sure that this will never happen again to you, so make the best of the lesson. Many have benefited from your post and no doubt your children have learned a lesson for their future. Double check whatever you do, only you have your best interests at heart.

Have fun... lemons to lemonade. Look at the positive side. You are still going on a family vacation; what could be better than that.

I have an agent that I have used for every cruise we have booked through Carnival (the pvp). He is great and has always followed up with me at least 1 week before our final payment was due. I guess it might be the luck of the draw or the history you have with your pvp. I am sorry to hear about your situation.....but at least you do still get to cruise and deliver the gift to your children as promised ☺. I hope you have a great time in any case.

I think when I had the same PVP for years I would get a reminder....but I have always kept track because I don't trust that I would always get the heads up. I am very much a planner and possibly a control freak when it comes to vacations, it leaves little to chance.

I'm sorry this happened but glad they were able to get you on the ship. I hope you are able to put this mishap behind you and still enjoy your vacation.

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I am about to go on my 7th cruise (4th carnival cruise) and experienced a problem yesterday that I have never encountered before.

Normally I use a local Travel Agent or book myself online, but last July, the website was having problems so I called and booked through a Carnival Travel agent. I put our deposit down, and the agent said that the remainder would automatically be billed when it was due in November.

In November I received an email from Carnival that said, "Booking confirmation" and "welcome aboard". I misunderstood that down at the bottom, it was telling me to to pay. I assumed it was a receipt and confirmation that my final payment went through. I never heard anything else.

My husband and I surprised our kids with the cruise, so on Christmas day, I was trying to show them our booking info. The site just kept saying error. I assumed their website was having problems.

Finally, last night I thought it odd I hadn't heard anything from Carnival. I called and they told me my booking was canceled for non payment and they kept the almost $1,300 deposit. After a lot of work, she did get me re-booked on the ship, but we lost our nice rooms and we are in complete opposite ends/floors of the ship. We don't have our dining time anymore, and I had to pay a lot of money for interior rooms (almost the same price as our ocean view room).

I'm not saying that this is all Carnvial's fault. I do have a lot of the blame myself because I should have been more involved. Normally I check my credit cards, but the past few months I haven't, so I didn't notice we hadn't been fully charged.

I feel like one of the advantages of booking with the cruise line or any agent, is that they can keep you apprised of things better. I was surprised to learn that they don't send you out emails saying your booking is canceled or about to be canceled or that they are keeping your deposit. The agent I worked with never called me or let me know that my booking was going to be canceled for non payment. Or that I wasn't (when I was supposed to be) set up on automatic payments. The one email they did send me looked like everything was normal and fine.

I get promotional emails from them every day. I just think a little more contact would be good.

To say I'm devastated is an understatement. I've just never experienced anything like this before and I still can't believe it happened. Guest relations is checking to see if they can get our rooms a little closer together, but they aren't hopeful because the cruise is so soon.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Has anyone experienced this before? Should I try to push for an interior room rate from the time that I booked? (I have some screen prints and a family member who booked also). If they can't get our rooms closer, is there anything else I should try?

(I already know all the things I should have done in the beginning. I know I made mistakes also. I would change everything if I could go back in time. I am just wanting to take some of the sting our of this situation and still try to make the best of this expensive vacation. I just feel like it's been tainted.)

TIA,

SLSH

If Carnival told you final payment would be billed to the credit card on file and then failed to do this they should correct their error. I have no doubt they did tell you this, as they have told me this, and even assured me there is no way I could loose my reservation, payment would automatically be billed to my cc, but I always set a reminder on my phone a couple weeks in advance of final payment. Yes you are partially to blame, and you admit that.

I wouldn't settle for what they have offered. I would take it to the CEO if necessary, be persistent and make them honor your original booking.

If Carnival told you final payment would be billed to the credit card on file and then failed to do this they should correct their error. I have no doubt they did tell you this, as they have told me this, and even assured me there is no way I could loose my reservation, payment would automatically be billed to my cc, but I always set a reminder on my phone a couple weeks in advance of final payment. Yes you are partially to blame, and you admit that.

I wouldn't settle for what they have offered. I would take it to the CEO if necessary, be persistent and make them honor your original booking.

Take it to the CEO? It doesn't sound like it was carnivals fault...it clearly says that they overlooked the part in the email saying it was a request for final payment. I had the same thing happen and it was our fault, not Carnival's and had to pay a little more to rebook the same cabin.

I do believe Carnival should send an email reminder a day or so before final payment is due, because everyone overlooks things from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have an agent that I have used for every cruise we have booked through Carnival (the pvp). He is great and has always followed up with me at least 1 week before our final payment was due. I guess it might be the luck of the draw or the history you have with your pvp. I am sorry to hear about your situation.....but at least you do still get to cruise and deliver the gift to your children as promised ☺. I hope you have a great time in any case.

The advantage of using a Carnival PVP is that you can call them directly and if they don't answer, leave a message and a good PVP should call you back as soon as they get your message. Of course, there are bad ones also but you can always request your account be transferred if your current PVP is not attentive to your needs. I've used my current PVP since my first cruise in '05 and she knows all my preference and remembers them too :D