Cancelling 5th person in Family room

GatorMomInNC

Hello -

I have a cruise booked on the Solstice later this year. I booked one of the Family verandahs, which hold 5 people. It will be me and my husband and my mother and 2 kids.

I recently returned from a transatlantic cruise with my mother, who became ill on the cruise. It was pretty bad and the worst of it was after we had begun the crossing. If she had been as ill on the last port day before the crossing as she became later that night, after we had left port, they would have made her disembark. It was a pretty horrible experience. Since we have returned she has been hospitalized twice. The good news is, they seem to have determined the problem and she is supposed to have outpatient heart surgery (I know, I didn't think there was such a thing either) next month.

One doctor told her she shouldn't cruise any more, but her cardiologist said she will be fine after this and able to cruise. I have tried to (gently) tell her I don't think she can go on this cruise (she has cruised Alaska before, so not like this is her only chance), but she keeps saying she thinks she will be able to do it. My husband and I (and all my siblings) don't really think she should go - the family rooms are at the front of the ship and I don't see how she could even get off the ship as most of the excursions seems strenuous, and cold air exacerbates her condition.

So there is a very good chance we will have to drop her from the reservation at some point. We may be able to bring my mother in law, or one of my older son's friends, to take her place on the reservation, but I can't be sure. If I just take her off the reservation, I don't think they will let me keep the room, which I booked several months ago, because the room is supposed to be for families of 5. I really would like to not have to change my reservation now, since probably a lot of the choice rooms are gone and the price has probably risen.

So if she can't go, and we can't find a replacement, can we just show up at the port without her? Her fare is reduced as a 3-4-5th guest (including fees only $450) and I don't mind not getting any money back, I just don't want to have to pay more or get bumped from our room. Of course, if we find a replacement I believe I heard you can just pay a nominal name change fee, even after final payment.

I think these rooms are opened up for just 2 people when they haven't sold past final payment date. I think there's a good chance you will be able to sail with 4. Sorry about your Mom. It is frightening to be very ill on a TA.

I think these rooms are opened up for just 2 people when they haven't sold past final payment date. I think there's a good chance you will be able to sail with 4. Sorry about your Mom. It is frightening to be very ill on a TA.

I'm just afraid if I call up before final payment and request she be removed, they might tell me that I have to cancel the room...

No need to change anything. No problem if you leave her on the rest and she is a no show. As long as you don't care paying for the 5th person, Celebrity isn't going to care if she shows or doesn't.

Thanks, good to know. I will probably do this, assuming she can't go and we don't find a replacement.

Good idea Iais but I wouldn't rely on a telephone conversation. Send an email from a non identifiable email address, and hope they will reply. That way you have some proof if problems occur later. They have very rarely replied to my emails, but worth a try.

No need to change anything. No problem if you leave her on the rest and she is a no show. As long as you don't care paying for the 5th person, Celebrity isn't going to care if she shows or doesn't.

No show- Celebrity will have their money, so I can't see a problem.

Also if your Mum is fit to travel it's back to the status quo and the accommodation is available for her. You never know, it may be what she needs to make a quicker recovery ( something to look forward to)

My husband & I travelled in a FV on a TA, which became available 5 months before we sailed, so FV's do not have to have full occupancy.

FVs do not have to have 5 people booked in them — lots of people have posted on CC who have stayed in an FV cabin with just 2 people. Assess your situation closer to your final payment due date, but I think it highly likely you could remove your mother's name from the reservation close to that date to save yourself the $450 without losing the FV. Unless you have someone who really wants to go, I would not bother with finding a replacement. The room will be more comfortable with 4 of you, given that the 5th person has to sleep on the couch bed and there is only one bathroom.

I am sorry to hear about your family's ordeal, but glad to hear there seems to be a medical solution at hand.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. Based on what everyone has said, I will wait and see If my mom can go. If not, I will call Celebrity and see if they will let us remove her and refund her fare. Otherwise, we will just show without her and pay the fare.

If you do take your mom, consider getting her a walker that has a seat. My mom is 73, had triple bypass & a valve replacement, but she is still a huge cruiser. Her legs have significant circulation issues, so she has gotten much slower. It is amazing how having a walker to lean on helps her get around on the ship on bad days. If she needs a break, she can sit down. (They are about $100 for a deluxe model that folds. She has a pretty pearl rose colored one. ) she takes 30-40 day cruises each year & the walk her helps her SO much! At first she was resistant to it, but now she realizes that it increases her ability to explore. Good luck to you & your mom.

I'd hold off to see how she is doing right before the cruise. It should definitely give her something to look forward to as she heals and increases her stamina post surgery.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

In the event you do arrive and have her as a no-show, although you won't get her cabin fare refunded, her taxes will be refunded.

I however think that should you call a week or so before final payment and remove her, they won't make you give up the cabin.

You can also do a name change after final payment until around 4 to 10 days prior to sailing, depending on various circumstances and variables in the reservations.

I just went through this exact situation. My 5th passenger in the family verandah isn't able to go. I didn't want to substitute her for someone else and I didn't want to lose our room. I cancelled her after I saw the rooms come up on the website as available to parties of less than 5. You will get the taxes and gratuities returned to your credit card. You will likely lose the "fare" portion of the 5th person, but will always get your taxes, fees and grats back - whether it's a no - show or you cancel the name off.