NCL First Timer

john1701d

The only thing I can think of that is different from CCL is freestyle cruising. It's a more relaxed feeling, so with that in mind enjoy your cruise, leave any expectations behind, and have a great time.

You don't have to worry about formal nights, unless you want to dress up...it really doesn't matter. If you are used to having a set time to eat, leave that behind as well. One thing my wife and I enjoy doing is asking to sit with others at dinner, give that a try.

Hope this helps! :D

I'd recommend you consider some of the Specialty Restaurants. While they require a small fee (unless you bought the UDP), but they are a really nice way to have a special meal.

My faves are The Orchid Garden ($15) and the Teppenyaki ($20, I think).

You'll have a lovely time!

Hi there. I remember my first NCL cruise. . . the Gem, which is sister to Jewel.

First things that come to mind are be prepared that the cabin on Jewel is smaller than you're used to on Carnival but has an interesting 3 compartment bathroom. (On Breakaway and Getaway the cabins are more the same size as Carnival) No fixed dining times and no formal nights. Wasn't sure what we'd think of Freestyle, but we love it and have been back on NCL many times, though we don't mind fixed dining times either.

We find entertainment on NCL better than Carnival. I prefer NCL's food both in the buffet and dining rooms (but I realize that is our personal taste).

Waterslide on the Jewel pales in comparison to Carnival's fabulous waterslides, and there are no grand atrium areas like Carnival has.

Favorite spots on Jewel are The Great Outdoors (at the stern behind the buffet) and Spinnaker Lounge (forward on deck 13).

Hope you have a great cruise!

Edited by mizlorinj

I second the vote on the Spinnaker lounge and the Great Outdoors (excellent place for breakfast). I believe she has a bridge viewing room all the way forward port side deck 11. I like her buffet design...island food stations throughout the area. We'll be on her again in a couple of weeks.

I've been on just one NCL cruise, but it was the Jewel. Overall I liked the ship quite a bit, partly because it seemed a manageable size. In fact, a number of things seemed maybe 3/4 size. The dining rooms, the entertainment venues, the atrium.

Two places I found this size issue to be a problem were the main theater, where I've never felt so cramped trying to watch a show, and the toilet in our balcony cabin. Because of an angular wall, there is just nowhere to put your knees when you sit on the throne if you're 6 feet or taller. (Too much information? Sorry.)

For us, the two biggest plusses were entertainment and the buffet. We found the entertainment superior to any other cruise we've been on, in terms of both variety and quality. Lots of smaller places to see things, and the atrium was an entertainment venue at night. While we found the MDR food mostly lackluster, the buffet was the best we've ever experienced. Large and varied with islands for this and that and "action stations."

I think we would have enjoyed the Great Outdoors, too, if we had been in a warmer climate. But we were on an Alaska cruise, and the outdoor buffet was rarely open or inviting because of weather.

Despite a couple of issues, I found myself saying "I like that ship" as we were getting off. And it was because it was a smaller, simpler ship with a great crew (I even liked the cruise director, which is kind of rare) and memorable entertainment.

Jim

Thanks for the help! That's interesting about no formal nights.

We recently tried NCL for the first time after many cruises on Carnival and Royal Caribbean and loved the no formal nights. It was GREAT to not have to pack formal clothes for once, it was a nice change up. We drove to the pier, but I'm sure I will appreciate it even more when we fly to our next NCL cruise and have to contend with airline weight restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app