Flying into Ft. Lauderdale ....sailing from Miami

lovingCCL

What is the best way to fly into Ft. Lauderdale and sail out of Miami? We will fly in the day before the embarcation. Is there a particular hotel where we can stay and get a shuttle the next day to port of Miami? I want a reasonable hotel that is very clean. Anyone have a suggestion on how to do this best?

we have used limos of miami. People here will tell you to use SAS. I will say they left us stranded in Fort Lauderdale at a hotel. They were a no show. Never answered their phone. Never responded to messages left on their machine. All this with a CONFIRMED reservation. so beware of SAS

While my solution for my last sailing out of Miami is not the easiest it was great for traveling on a budget.

I had found an incredible rate ($85) a the the Miami Airport Sheraton including breakfast, which was an incredible deal for a very clean and comfortable hotel, especially given the low airport hotel standards in Miami.

I arrived at FLL and took the shuttle for the TriRail commuter train which was $3.25 from the FLL station to the MIA station, the shuttles to and from the stations are free. Then a shuttle to MIA and ride the link to the rental car center which is across the street from the Sheraton or you could take the Sheraton shuttle from the airport. When they complete the new Miami Airport Tri-Rail station, expected to be very soon, the train will go directly to the rental car center so it will stop right across the street from the Sheraton. Then I took a carnival shuttle the next morning for $15 to the port.

All total the trip to the hotel took about an hour, a little longer than a shuttle but much cheaper.

Edited by skiracer0112

What date ?

What time does your flight arrive?

Did you look at hotel rates for your date as they vary a ton and decide on a realistic budget?

You might find better rates near Ft. Then shuttle next morning.

If you offer more info, we can offer better recs for you.;)

What is the best way to fly into Ft. Lauderdale and sail out of Miami? We will fly in the day before the embarcation. Is there a particular hotel where we can stay and get a shuttle the next day to port of Miami? I want a reasonable hotel that is very clean. Anyone have a suggestion on how to do this best?

The best is to fly into FLL on your private jet and then ride a stretch limo to Miami. :rolleyes:

http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and lodging info. In addition to SAS, check for shared shuttle service from QLS, MJS, Go Airport Shuttle and others - typical fares start at about $15 per person each way for the 45-60+ min trip. A taxi on the meter from FLL to POM/downtown Miami will run about $80+tip.

Most of the shuttle companies list the hotels they will pick up at on their web site - saving you a trip back to the FLL airport just to catch your ride.

The best way to do this is to just fly to Miami in the first place.

The best way to do this is to just fly to Miami in the first place.

While I agree that that is what is easiest (and what I've always done in the past), for my upcoming cruise, it was literally $225 cheaper per person to fly into FLL. For $450, I'll take the inconvenience of needing to figure out shuttling. Additionally, we're traveling at a peak spring break time (the week of Easter), and I've definitely found better hotel deals in FLL than I historically have in Miami at about $120/night.

OP, my current plan (though admittedly, it's my first time doing this):

Fly into FLL

Taxi to Hilton-Marina (~$16)

SAS transportation to POM morning of cruise ($15pp)

On the back end, we are staying in Hollywood for a day:

SAS from POM to FLL ($15pp)

Taxi to hotel ($25)

Taxi back to FLL ($25)

To take a taxi from POM right to our hotel in Hollywood would be somewhere in the $80 range. Since there are only two of us, taking SAS to the airport then taking a taxi is a bit more economical.

This trip, we are flying into FLL, renting a car for 1 night, $35 through BJ's Wholesale club travel, staying at Holiday Inn across from the marketplace then returning the car at MIA. The car rental place has a shuttle that runs right to the port. To get back to FLL, we are booked out transportation through NCL for $25 pp. This past September we did the same thing with great results (7 adults, 1 teenager and all our luggage squished into a minivan for $50 for one night rental Thank goodness for stow and go seating. Those compartment sure came in handy.) Thank you Thrifty and this time Dollar. :D

We did something similar last year. We flew into FLL, and stayed at the Gallery One Doubletree. We loved this location because we were within walking distance of the beach, a mall, a Publix, and several restaurants. We had a one bedroom suite that over looked the intercostal waterway, and paid $112 for the room. This was much less than hotels near the port in Miami.

On the day of our cruise, we used Larry's Limos for transportation from the hotel to POM. It was a bit of a splurge, but a very relaxing way to start our cruise. It worked so well, that we're repeating our plans again for a cruise out of POM this spring. Good luck!

We did something similar last year. We flew into FLL, and stayed at the Gallery One Doubletree. We loved this location because we were within walking distance of the beach, a mall, a Publix, and several restaurants. We had a one bedroom suite that over looked the intercostal waterway, and paid $112 for the room. This was much less than hotels near the port in Miami.

On the day of our cruise, we used Larry's Limos for transportation from the hotel to POM. It was a bit of a splurge, but a very relaxing way to start our cruise. It worked so well, that we're repeating our plans again for a cruise out of POM this spring. Good luck!

Could you eleaborate on your trip? How did you get from the FLL airport to the Galleria Hotel, and what was the cost?

Also, do you mind sharing what the cost was to take the limo to POM?

DH and I are staying at the Galleria One next month, but cruising out of FLL. Then, in March (week before Easter) my girls and I are flying into FLL (I hope! Haven't purchased tickets yet as they are so high!) and cruising out of Miami. The Miami hotels are too high. I have found an FLL airport hotel and transportation that is reasonable. After reading your post, I checked the Galleria for my dates and can stay there for the same rate...much nicer room and area! :) My only concern is getting there from the airport for both trips...at a reasonable cost.

PS - We have stayed there before and it was enjoyable. I just cannot remember how we got there.:o

Nevermind the above questions. I found a hotel in Miami for our Spring trip. :) DH says we took an expensive cab to the Galleria the last time we stayed there. He said that the driver went out of his way to get from point A to B. :rolleyes:

Jiffy Jeff! We always fly into FLL and have used several transportation companies, a few which were disappointing. We tried Jiffy Jeff last year and will only use him from now on. His vehicles were huge and very clean and well maintained and he kept in contact with us, calling us right when we were walking up to the baggage carousel to let us know he was outside waiting, and where to find him. Then, after the cruise, he called as we were stepping off the ship, again to let us know where he was waiting. His prices are right in line with all the others, but I would pay more for the kind of service he provides!

• 1 month later...

Jiffy Jeff transportation was the best!! We had a later flight into Ft. Lauderdale and needed transportation to our Miami hotel. The Jiffy Jeff driver was at the curbside when we walked out with our bags and we were on our way within minutues! Very courteous and professional. The drive was uneventful and he was very friendly making the ride even better!

Our return trip after our cruise was again very professional and we arrived back in Ft. Lauderdale with PLENTY of time to catch our flight at 11:00. The cruise line wouldn't give us transportation because our flight was before noon but Jiffy Jeff didn't have any issues! Will use them again when we cruise in Florida!

We just returned from a cruise and used Jiffy Jeff for transportation from FLL to the Port of Miami, they were great. There was a text waiting for me when I got off the plane. When I called they instructed me where to meet them, and waited outside the van so I could find them. Comfortable Mercedes van, great commentary while driving, affordable. I would use them again!