"Wait List" and "Sold Out" -- What's the difference?

Baybear

On the Feb 3, 2015 Mayan Mystique cruise on Rivieria, the lowest three categories of cabins, and Veranda Staterooms (B3) and (B4) are classified as "wait list."

Categories (B1) and (B2) are classified as "Book." Some other categories are classified as "Sold Out."

What's the difference between "wait list" and "sold out?" I would think if all cabins had been purchased in a certain category that there could not be a "wait list" since the have already been "sold." On the other hand, if people are waiting for the "wait list" categories, why can't they also wait for the "sold out" categories?

I'm confused...

I believe Sold Out means there is no reasonable chance of a geting a booking in a particular caregory. Wait List signifies there is a chance of booking. These categories are based on O's experience with cancellations and perhaps no shows.

When 'sold out' O will no longer accept bookings for that category.

Waitlist they will but with no guarantee that you will be offered a booking.

They anticipate that they will have sufficient cancellations that cabins will become available and these will be offered, after the guarantees (GTY) are filled, on a first come, priority basis. If you pay a deposit for a waitlisted category you will be on a priority waitlist.

It is a method to maximize occupancy. Personally a waitlist does not appeal much to me unless filled long in advance. Could be tight on time to get good flights at good prices and preferred guides / activities.

If it was discounted to offset this risk then perhaps I'd consider if it was a cruise I very much wanted but especially the fact that the prices could be even higher when/if offered a cabin it does not appeal much to me. Would not even want to plan a trip on that basis and a good part of the pleasure of a trip is the anticipation and planning

For those who can travel with less notice, there is little cost in putting down a deposit so it may be of more interest.

If it is a sailing you want then go for a waitlist. Note some people also book a cabin and then waitlist other preferred category. Best of both worlds for them-have a firm booking plus might get what they would most like. Consequently the waitlist can move suddenly and quickly as the those other bookings become firm and the 'extra' waitlist drop off. So if you do waitlist don't be too discouraged because you have a high number. It might suddenly move to the top ; or not

OP here: Thanks for your replies.

I am currently booked (final payment made) in one of the lowest categories that's listed currently on Oceania's website as "wait list." And I am in the "Guaranteed cabin" position (i.e.: No cabin assignment for a cruise that happens in 4 weeks).

Does that mean if someone wants to pay for one of those lowest category cabins and is on the current waitlist for it, that I may get "bumped up" so Oceania can sell one of those "wait listed" cabins to the waitlist person? Or is this pretty much wishful thinking, rather than logical?

OP here: Thanks for your replies.

I am currently booked (final payment made) in one of the lowest categories that's listed currently on Oceania's website as "wait list." And I am in the "Guaranteed cabin" position (i.e.: No cabin assignment for a cruise that happens in 4 weeks).

Does that mean if someone wants to pay for one of those lowest category cabins and is on the current waitlist for it, that I may get "bumped up" so Oceania can sell one of those "wait listed" cabins to the waitlist person? Or is this pretty much wishful thinking, rather than logical?

Wishful. But no harm in hoping.

The only thing you can be certain of is that you will be on Baord and in a cabin of at least the category you booked. You might be an upsell offer or a free upgrade or not. They might upsell a waitlisted pax to a vacant higher category and just book you in the one you paid for.

GTY is a brilliant bit of marketing O has. Unlike many other lines they sell it for the same price as a selected cabin. That said, unlike many other ships there is not the many minor category difference, i.e. inside might have five of six sub categories each for $20 more so few not a good choice vs other ships with bad choices.

I have taken GTYs a couple of times on O and been happy.

Edited by YoHoHo

We have been upgrades several times, sometimes for free some times for a small payment, so there is hope. One cruise we were upgraded twice. I was busy changing cabin numbers on the luggage tags:p.

Just the luck of the draw and the marketing department.