What are your Cruise Review pet peeves?

I appreciate people who take the time to post a review. I do have pet peeves about them sometimes, but I try and remember this cruiser has taken their time to post for my enjoyment.

These are my pet peeves. Many like others have said.

One long paragraph with not spaces between lines. It is too hard to read.

Quoting all the pictures. Takes up too much space.

I realize people like to comment back with their appreciation of the pictures and such, but does the reviewer have to quote and thank each one during his review? It seems to me they could just wait until the end and say "thanks for all the nice responses." This is just my opinion.

Everyone must remember that the person writing is just giving their opinion which we might not agree with, but I appreciate them taking their time to post.

Again, I just want to thank all reviewers for taking their time to write.

My pet peeve is when the reviewer dislikes the ship or the cruise line that he is reviewing, so he then insults everyone who likes that ship or that line. "Only a hick would think this is good food!" "The Wal-Mart of cruise lines!" "People who like this line are so unsophisticated- they should try a REAL cruise line sometime!"

I don't mind reading the reviewer's opinions but I stop reading when the review is gratuitously insulting.

That is my pet peeve. I can't stand reviews that take so long for the op to write. If your'e going to write a review, write it. Otherwise, don't start what you can't finish in a timely manner.

Man that drives me nuts.:mad:

I just can't stand paying out my hard earned dollars to these reviewers who can't seem to finish up in a timely manner! Oooopsie, I forgot, this is Cruise Critic and it's free. I'm not shelling out a single dime for peoples' reviews. C'mon people if you don't like the reviewers' timetable ignore the review entirely or send them some Cash. $

I coached kid's hockey for many many years. Lots for the posts here remind me of "Those Parents"; the ones who were always quick to complain about the coaches not organizing extras for the kids and the coaches not doing enough fundraising for the team and not once offer to help with their time or their money. So if you don't like a reviewer's style, or grammar, or his/her timetable - ignore it, do it yourself or PAY UP!

I'm climbing down from my high horse now.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

• 2 weeks later...
Allow me to add my voice to those deploring

*bad grammar

*poor word choice

*Excess Capitals

*silly spelling mistakes like "dinning" for "dining"

and other evidence of the mass illiteracy sweeping our society .. harrumph!;)

Can we please get rid of the word anyways, too? Anyway does not have an s at the end of it. :cool:

Mine is duplicate posts:eek::p Oh, wait, we were talking about reviews:D

:D And the inability to delete your own posts from CC when it gets all glitchy and duplicates your initial post!

I actually tried....but of course, the only option is to write in the word deleted which just seems stupid to me! :p

There were two things recently that actually caught my eye that I really liked -- one review was written by the 13 year old daughter. It was fun to read about the cruise experience from a young girl's perspective (and it was written quite well).

I read a review a couple of weeks ago written from the perspective of a baby. I think he was around 2 and his mom did all the posting for him. ;) I was prepared to not like it and ended up loving it, probably partially because his mom was an engaging writer with great grammar and spelling, and the offhand comments "from the baby" were often hilarious.

I read the reviews in the review section with a grain of salt. I want to know what they perceive to be good or bad.

Bad grammar and spelling bother me. What bothers me more, however, is when something that might have been corrected had the problem been reported, was not reported and then the cruise is given a bad rating. For instance, I read once that the bathroom in the cabin had a really bad smell. The reviewer did not report the smell and said that they just did their business in the bathroom quickly. Then rated the cabin very low because of the smell.

I also skip the opening paragraphs with the details about packing, driving to the airport, the flight, etc. I might want info on the hotel they stayed at the night before and how they got to the port (free shuttle, cab, etc.), but I don't need to know if their flight was on time, the attendants were rude, etc.

Also don't need to know what they ate each meal. I do want to know about the specialty restaurants (worth the money? food cooked to appropriate temp?).

I read a review from the same cruise I was on about how terrible the food was. I had found the food to be delicious. The very foods they complained about were my favorites on that cruise. Food is subjective.

One more thing - I don't like it when the reviewer is reviewing on ship against standards of another cruise line. A first sentence on one review started off by telling the readers that they love Celebrity to reviewing Carnival would not be easy. Don't compare them. Review Carnival as Carnival and Celebrity as Celebrity.

Debbi

Edited by attilamom1217