NYC-April

penwah2002

We have cruised of NYC in December, January and February. This year we are doing an April cruise. I know the cold on the first day and last day at sea but I've never experienced April. I also am aware the weather can not be predicted that far out but what has been the experience by anyone in April? Is it as cold the first and last day at sea as it is in Dec, Jan or Feb? Just wondering what experience anyone has had in April. Thank you in advance.

We cruised on a 9 nighter out of NYC last April.

It was chilly the day we left and about 1/2 day the first day at sea headed to San Juan.

The last day at sea back we were outside enjoying the poolside bbq but by night time it was cold.

In 2012 we arrived to NYC on 4/27 and were greeted with cold rain - last day on sea there was nobody using sun deck because of the low temp and winds, previous day there were still people reading books but even then most had jackets/pants etc.

So no way of telling how it will be (especially winds will affect the "feels like" temperature a lot), generally late April or early May should be tolerable already.

Edited by Demonyte

We are NYC residents. Our first cruise on the QE2 departed from NY in April (early April, I think, but I haven't checked) and it was a very gray, cold but not quite raining day.

But April can be gorgeous weather as well. It's impossible to predict.

I first came to NYC to rehearse for a US-Canada choral tour. I arrived on January 4th to snow, we rehearsed for 3 weeks, and then started out on an 8 week bus&truck tour throughout the two countries. We got back to NYC in early April and were greeted with a snowstorm.

Now, snow in April is very unusual but it's happened at least twice in my years living in NYC.

Usually, in April you will not encounter winter weather! But as I just said, it CAN happen. If your cruise will be late April, you're pretty safe but if it's early April, anything could happen.

Mura

As Trish stated April in NY can be wintery or summery, it all depends on the given year. I remember going to the beach on Easter saturday my senior year of high school (to tan, water too cold to swim in), and in 1997 we had a blizzard the Monday after Easter that left a million people without electricity, some for over a week.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. LAYER!

Have a great cruise!

I sailed out of NY in late April 2014. It was beautifully sunny when I got to NY in the morning but was pouring rain, cold and cloudy when we were sailing out. Was disappointing for seeing the sights. Coming back in May, very cool and sunny.

I have lived 5 - 20 minutes from NYC over 50 years now - As others have posted it can go either way. Towards end of April u shouldn't need more than a light jacket. I purposely looked for a cruise that would leave end of April - not too cold & prior to hurricane season (I hope), but one never knows :rolleyes: