CPAP and NCL

wuppis

We travel next month on the Jade in the Mediterrenean Sea.

Today I called the service center in Germany to ask about the medical form to announce my CPAP machine and that I need destilled water during the cruise. They told me, that they will send me the form, I´ve got it right now, but informed me also, that NCL does not give destilled water to passengers for their CPAP machines. I travel a lot with different cruise lines and this is the first time, that I got this answer. Normally its easy to get a bottle of destilled water in your cabin, but NCL does not offer it?

Does anybody had experiences with the same problem? I know, that many people use CPAP machines in the night. Please help me with your information.

Thanks in advance,

Marita

We travel next month on the Jade in the Mediterrenean Sea.

Today I called the service center in Germany to ask about the medical form to announce my CPAP machine and that I need destilled water during the cruise. They told me, that they will send me the form, I´ve got it right now, but informed me also, that NCL does not give destilled water to passengers for their CPAP machines. I travel a lot with different cruise lines and this is the first time, that I got this answer. Normally its easy to get a bottle of destilled water in your cabin, but NCL does not offer it?

Does anybody had experiences with the same problem? I know, that many people use CPAP machines in the night. Please help me with your information.

Thanks in advance,

Marita

Never had a problem getting distilled water for my CPAP on NCL. I have never requested it in advance. I just ask my room steward, butler or guest services to get it for me once I board.

Edited by Cruisin&Relaxin

Never had a problem getting distilled water for my CPAP on NCL. I have never requested it in advance. I just ask my room steward, butler or guest services to get it for me once I board.

Nor have I. Take same approach.

Friends of us who sailed with us last October on the Dawn requested the water in advance by calling the customer service line and they were assured that they would get the water in their room...and they did without a problem.

I travel alot. Way too much. In most hotels, I use tap water. On the ship, I use tap water. Distilled water is better but not really required. It just eliminates, or should I say, reduces mineral buildup in the device/hose.

I never have contacted anyone in advance about medical devices. CPAPs are rather common.

I would suggest a lightweight extension cord as cabins, and hotels often do not have the plug where you need it. And, yes, someone will post you can get an extension cord from the ship. Packing it is easier.

I have always an extension cord with me. Normally the outlets are at the desk, which is far away from the bed. So I always needed the cord.

I was advised, only using destilled water and I need it, because I´m very sensitive in my nose. If I don´t use it, my nose is so dry that I have to use spray for my nose every day and night several times.

Maybe there is a difference between NCL ships in the US and in Europe.

Waiting for the response from NCL Germany. I´ve sent my medical form today and have written that I had never booked a cruise on a cruiseline, where the service for "handicapd" people is so poor. We cruise a lot, with different cruise line, and never had problems with getting destilled water.

The water from the bathroom contains chloride, to desinfect it and I think thats not good to hydrate your nose.

Thanks for all your replies and sorry for my mistakes, but my motherlangue is german and I only speak english while cruising and travelling.

We were on the Jade in 2013 and I used the tap water for my CPAP and had no issues what so ever. If you feel you need it, then just ask for it like everyone else has stated.

Enjoy your cruise, don't sweat the little stuff.

cheers...the Ump...:D

My late husband was on a CPap and peritoneal dialysis and I have to say NCL was the best line we cruised for addressing all of his needs prior to and during the cruise. I know one time the water wasn't in our cabin and my husband commented to our room attendant who immediately went and got some in case he wanted to take a nap. As it was the weather was muggy and humid and most of the time he didn't use it because he felt like he was drowning. I do know what you mean about chlorine. A reason I don't use steam rooms that use chlorinated water.

We did find that traveling with a plug adapter also helps more for hotel rooms but you never know.

Was it the actual access offer who told you that Distilled water is not provided? Or was it one of the PCC's? Distilled water has been provided on our past 3 cruises for my dad's CPAP. I am very surprised that was the response you received. NCL is the only cruise lines access department that is willing to work with my daughter's needs and ensure that we have a fun and safe vacation.

Both my DW and I used CPAP on the Star in November and a bottle of distilled water was in the stateroom when we arrived. All you need to do is send an email to the NCL Access Desk accessdesk@ncl.com and include your reservation number, name, ship, and embarkation date. They will reply in a couple of days with the confirmation.

As you mentioned in your original post, do not forget to bring an extension cord. It is also a good idea to bring a 3-outlet plug adaptor for the outlet above the desk in case you need to charge a cell phone, computer, or camera.

Also, as you are probably aware, always hand carry your machine. Do not put it inside your checked suitcase. On our last cruise, a cart of 12 suitcases rolled off the pier and sunk to the bottom of Miami harbor. We both carried our CPAP machines aboard and my wife's suitcase was one of the 12 suitcases recovered out of the water. We heard that one of the other passengers had a CPAP in his suitcase - big mistake.

I called Ncl and they assured me distilled water would be available for my husbands machine. We are going on the getaway next Saturday and I was surprised that Ncl recommended we bring our own extension cord as there wasn't a outlet next to the bed.

I never even thought to ask them to provide me with distilled water for my CPAP. I have always just filled a regular water bottle and put it in the bag with my CPAP. I've never had it flagged to be looked at, so it was never thought to be alcohol. I have also always brought an extension cord, it to always stays in my CPAP bag, so I never leave home without it. 5 more days, but who's counting.. LOL!! :p

Chris,

I always transport it in my handluggage. the problem is, some airlines want you to put it in your cabinluggage, some airlines allow to transport it in the special luggage you have for the CPAP machine for free.

We also have outlet plugs, because we have to load the batteries for the cell phones, the tablet, the kindles, the cameras and more.

Today I spoke to the lady of the company, where I got my CPAP and she said, it is no problem to use normal water for 2 weeks, but to clean it very good when we come home, because the chalk from the water can destroy the heating system of the humidiator (dont know if this is the right word).

thanks for all you advices, Marita.

Edited by wuppis

I just got the mail from the German office in Wiesbaden, that the coworker told me the wrong thing.

Of course I can get distilled water, when the cruise begins not earlier than two weeks in advance.

So everything will be fine. But why do they not inform their employees over such important things. I know so many people, who travel with CPAP, so this information is important to them.

I´m still waiting for a callback from Alitalia, if the handluggage with the CPAP is free of cost, or if I have to put it in my normal cabinluggage, like I have to do it with Air Berlin.

Marita,

Our last cruise was the first time I got distilled water for our CPAP machines. Just a simple email to the NCL Access Desk accessdesk@ncl.com and you will have the distilled water in your stateroom. Previous cruises, I used the water out of the tap without problem.

The tap water on the ship is produced onboard using a distillation process. They do add chlorine to the water. But, it dissipates quickly. I fill my humidifier chamber with tap water and leave the top off for about 30 minutes to allow the chlorine to escape. Then I just use it normally.

You may want to check out this earlier thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2078184 - you may be able to glean something useful out of it. This is where I learned about the services available through the NCL Access Desk.

In the United States, a CPAP is considered a medical device which is not included in the luggage limits imposed by the airlines. It sounds like this is not always the case for airlines operating in other countries.

Enjoy the Jade and your cruise on the Mediterranean... that is one of the itineraries we would like to experience sometime in the future.

Chris

Edited by calex