Amadeus Brilliant

Globe

Hi,

Considering our first River cruise and looking at a Danube cruise from Luftner on the Amadeus Brilliant ( Passau to Passau ). Would appreciate any comments about this vessel and cruise line.

Also wondering what deck would be best for a good view but with a quieter cabin location. If on the top cabin deck, would the sun deck above be an issue for much noise?

Thank you for any comments or advice that can be provided.

Globe

Hello,

I think this is the itinerary you are referring to:

http://www.lueftner-************/en/cruises/reise/lc-danube-rhapsody-2015/liste/1/region/danube.html

This is the typical route offered on the European market, i.e. to Europeans, especially Germans coming to Passau in a car or by train. Hence the fact it starts and ends in Passau. Your cruise will mostly likely be conducted entirely in German and English. Of course, if you would like to know for sure, contact the company directly. I would assume that the food will therefore be German-European with variations and speciality dishes for the regions you are travelling through.

Lüftner - the correct spelling with u Umlaut - is an Austrian company. I would regard them as sort of high end of the market with a slightly more traditional rather than modern image. Perhaps compare it to the pages of Arosa, that might explain what I mean.

The ships look great from a distance, I have not been on one.

I did this itinerary - with slight alterations - in 2013 with Transocean and recommend the route.

notamermaid

I looked at this cruise before and really liked it. At least I think it is the same. It is definitely designed for the European market and I assumed it was conducted in German. (I speak German fluently.)

What I liked was the authentic up-to-date German/Austrian cuisine, the excursions organized only south of the Austrian border (I can handle Austria on my own), and the fact that it returns to Passau so I don't have to fly back from Bukarest (been there before, not a European highlight). I also like that it goes down into the Danube Delta, which none of the American companies do, and it stops at different ports on the cruise back. I thought it was a winner.

However, judging from most posts on this board and my personal experience in China, many Americans might feel like a fish out of water.