Nightmare Disney Cruise

poolchairbob

During the peak times DCL could rent an apartment, having one cast member on the island (perhaps someone with limited physical duty restrictions) at a small salary would not be prohibitive. To be fair CCL and RCL have it easier, one onsite employee could cover a number of lines.

I agree it would be nice, but thats a hell of a lot of cost for the cruise line to bear. Have DCL rep's in Caymen, Cozumel, Falmouth, St Maarten, St Thomas, St Juan, and Nassau with maybe only 1 ship in a week for some of them.

To me the second biggest complaint that has been published by the press is the families dislike of the hotel they were put up in. And most of that seems to be coming from the Grandfather in the videos. It is emergency accommodation and not pre booked in advance.

If DCL had left a CM in Nassau with the 3 adults and child, thats one more hotel room to find and another person to repatriate at the cruise lines cost.

Insurance hasn't been mentioned, so no one knows if they had it or not, but I doubt it would cover a CM's food, flights and lodging in Nassau and back in FL until they could rejoin the ship so more cost to the line.

I'm not sure what you mean connected to the port agent? They would have been introduced to and handed over to the agent in the port who would have arranged for the taxi's, accommodation etc. They weren't just dumped on the pier and told to wait till someone picks them up!

I feel for the family having their vacation ruined by a sickly child.

And from what I've read DCL paid for their accommodation, I thought I had read somewhere also their flights home but can't find that now? Even so, if DCL are putting their hand in the pocket to pay for this as a good will gesture, I think that's very good of them to have done that.

The Grandfather asking Disney to write a happy ending to the story sounds like he is asking for a new vacation to me.

ex techie

But isn't that the role of the Ship's Agent in each port? And while it might make sense to keep someone in Nassau because there is a ship ports there twice a week, on how many of those cruises is there a medical emergency? Yes, if the reports are accurate, it seems that the agent dropped the ball in this case. Before talking about placing an employee and an apartment in each port, perhaps DCL needs to have a discussion with the agent about what is expected; I suspect there is more than one company that could fill this role.

Also, I know I've read reports of cases where a family member had to get off the ship for medical reasons and a CM got off the ship and stayed with them. WOnder why that didn't happen in this situation....

But isn't that the role of the Ship's Agent in each port? And while it might make sense to keep someone in Nassau because there is a ship ports there twice a week' date=' on how many of those cruises is there a medical emergency? Yes, if the reports are accurate, it seems that the agent dropped the ball in this case. Before talking about placing an employee and an apartment in each port, perhaps DCL needs to have a discussion with the agent about what is expected; I suspect there is more than one company that could fill this role.

Also, I know I've read reports of cases where a family member had to get off the ship for medical reasons and a CM got off the ship and stayed with them. WOnder why that didn't happen in this situation....[/quote']

The Ship's Agent is not a concierge and would not be staying beside this family during their time on the island. The Agent would be directing them where to go, how to get there and options. The Port would not be picking up the family's tab and the Port Agent would be limited by what Disney generously offered since the family seems to think it was all expenses paid excursion.

The ship agent is not an employee of Disney and thus is limited in what they can do to react to a situation. Their main job is to interface with port operations, customer handling is secondary, and their skill set is usually more relevant to that. That's why I am not a big fan of having them be an emergency POC in busier ports.

I too am wondering why a CM didn't stay, I too have heard of that happening many times. But again, there's a lot about the interaction between family and crew we don't know.

I wonder if Disney could use someone from Castaway? I think it would be too far to use a small boat to get them there, but at least technically possible.

But isn't that the role of the Ship's Agent in each port? And while it might make sense to keep someone in Nassau because there is a ship ports there twice a week' date=' on how many of those cruises is there a medical emergency? Yes, if the reports are accurate, it seems that the agent dropped the ball in this case. Before talking about placing an employee and an apartment in each port, perhaps DCL needs to have a discussion with the agent about what is expected; I suspect there is more than one company that could fill this role.

Also, I know I've read reports of cases where a family member had to get off the ship for medical reasons and a CM got off the ship and stayed with them. WOnder why that didn't happen in this situation....[/quote']

I have not made up mind about anything! We will never know the true story as DISNEY will not tell us. Why doesn't the family sign a release so DISNEY can then give us their side of the story and not hide behind the medical privacy aspect.

And the doctors (from my experience) on cruise lines are for the most part a bunch of clowns with degrees and experiencefrom who knows where.

I disagree. My mother became ill on our transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic in September. The doctors and nurses were FANTASTIC, I can't say enough good things about them especially Dr Johan, one of the best doctors to treat my mom, and she has seen a lot lately (in fact, I am writing this from next to her hospital bed as we await a consult on her upcoming heart surgery).

It is my understanding (but I could be wrong) that the Medical Personnel are not cruise line employees but a sub-contractor. So I doubt if they have the power to kick someone off the ship. In most cases that power is reserved to the Captain or his immediate subordinate.

Again I disagree. The doctor sat us down and told us that when it comes to medical decisions and whether we would need to be taken off the ship it was solely HIS to make - not ours and not the captain's, and made it clear there was no "appeal" to anyone else.

BTW we had travel insurance but my mom paid up front. She is still waiting to be denied by Medicare and her primary insurance before submitting to travel insurance. Guest services facilitated free ship to shore phone calls from the middle of the atlantic ocean to the travel insurance company.

My mom was at the ships infirmary twice a day for about 10 of the 14 days of our cruise. Multiple visits were additional charges because they were after normal hours and considered urgent. One visit was from 2am to 5am, and I really think the treatment saved her life. They provided her with an oxygen machine to bring to our cabin and a wheelchair for 8 days. Any guesses as to what her bill came to?

Like all facilities providing medical care there are good providers and bad providers. With that said I am happy your mom received great care.

There seems to be a heavy allegiance assuming the family was looking for a handout. I don't see evidence of that. I see a family facing an unexpected situation in a foreign country surprised to be essentially booted off without feeling secure. I can't say I blame them for being upset.

There are lots of complaints that this is a one sided story. And Disney could very easily come out with a statement without discussing the child's private medical situation. Privacy is only an issue if they provide details. They could deny it was because of age. Their lack of denial makes me think there is truth to the families statement. Perhaps the doctor wasn't clear and mentioned age AND illness as reasons and a stressed family focused on the "age rule". None of us were there and it seems unfair to automatically assume Disney went above and beyond. There have been MANY situations where families have had better experiences with emergencies and even had CM left to help them navigate the crisis.

I too, without a doubt would have expected more from Disney. As a business owner I would have wanted every passenger on that ship to have left the ship feeling they had the best experience possible. If I were in charge I would certainly have had Pixie Dust by the gallon to entice the family to return for a second cruise and provide them the memories they feel were taken from them. I would have expected gratuities to be removed from my bill and perhaps even a credit if age was the reason they were removed from the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Mbrthelegend

Like all facilities providing medical care there are good providers and bad providers. With that said I am happy your mom received great care.

There seems to be a heavy allegiance assuming the family was looking for a handout. I don't see evidence of that. I see a family facing an unexpected situation in a foreign country surprised to be essentially booted off without feeling secure. I can't say I blame them for being upset.

There are lots of complaints that this is a one sided story. And Disney could very easily come out with a statement without discussing the child's private medical situation. Privacy is only an issue if they provide details. They could deny it was because of age. Their lack of denial makes me think there is truth to the families statement. Perhaps the doctor wasn't clear and mentioned age AND illness as reasons and a stressed family focused on the "age rule". None of us were there and it seems unfair to automatically assume Disney went above and beyond. There have been MANY situations where families have had better experiences with emergencies and even had CM left to help them navigate the crisis.

I too, without a doubt would have expected more from Disney. As a business owner I would have wanted every passenger on that ship to have left the ship feeling they had the best experience possible. If I were in charge I would certainly have had Pixie Dust by the gallon to entice the family to return for a second cruise and provide them the memories they feel were taken from them. I would have expected gratuities to be removed from my bill and perhaps even a credit if age was the reason they were removed from the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The story I saw, in the Orlando Sentinel if i recall correctly, had Disney quoted as saying the reason was medical, not age related, but declining further comment due to privacy concerns.

Here is a bit more on the new story from one of our local TV station.

http://www.abc-7.com/story/27776666/local-family-wants-disney-to-apologize-for-cruise-experience#.VK7bM8Y-C9Y

Note that at the end of the story, the grandfather is down at Bayfront in Naples pleading for a disney ending. What would that ending be, a trip to Disney for the entire family?

If they didn't care for the hotel that Disney put them up in, why not simply get their own hotel that was much to their liking? They didn't have to be put up in the flea bag hotel.

If you believe the various news stories, they want a "happy ending." They want and apology. THey want Disney to cover their hotel and repatriation expenses. Maybe I'm cynical--I think they either want another cruise free or money!

They got a "happy ending." They have a healthy child and are obviously back at home safely. 24 hours of stress? Disney is not responsible for the fact that the baby got "sick." The mother wanted to be on the safe side, so took the baby to the medical center. The doc wanted to be on the safe side and not have an emergency on the ship that he was not prepared to handle. Where is the fault here?

They make it sound like the doc calculating the dose was a bad thing. Infant medication doses are based on weight; it is totally appropriate to calculate the dose based on their accurate weight!

And either the family is running to multiple news outlets or the additional outlets are seeking them out based on the initial story. In either event, they are doing the publicity bit for all it is worth!

Edited by moki'smommy

If you believe the various news stories' date=' they want a "happy ending." They want and apology. THey want Disney to cover their hotel and repatriation expenses. Maybe I'm cynical--I think they either want another cruise free or money!

They got a "happy ending." They have a healthy child and are obviously back at home safely. 24 hours of stress? Disney is not responsible for the fact that the baby got "sick." The mother wanted to be on the safe side, so took the baby to the medical center. The doc wanted to be on the safe side and not have an emergency on the ship that he was not prepared to handle. Where is the fault here?

They make it sound like the doc calculating the dose was a bad thing. Infant medication doses are based on weight; it is totally appropriate to calculate the dose based on their accurate weight!

And either the family is running to multiple news outlets or the additional outlets are seeking them out based on the initial story. In either event, they are doing the publicity bit for all it is worth![/quote']

Totally agree. I know that sometimes people on this board (and others) defend Disney at all costs, but it really does seem as if this family is, at the least, unrealistic, and at worst, opportunistic and using the media to try and get something from Disney.

Again I disagree. The doctor sat us down and told us that when it comes to medical decisions and whether we would need to be taken off the ship it was solely HIS to make - not ours and not the captain's, and made it clear there was no "appeal" to anyone else.

BTW we had travel insurance but my mom paid up front. She is still waiting to be denied by Medicare and her primary insurance before submitting to travel insurance. Guest services facilitated free ship to shore phone calls from the middle of the atlantic ocean to the travel insurance company.

My mom was at the ships infirmary twice a day for about 10 of the 14 days of our cruise. Multiple visits were additional charges because they were after normal hours and considered urgent. One visit was from 2am to 5am, and I really think the treatment saved her life. They provided her with an oxygen machine to bring to our cabin and a wheelchair for 8 days. Any guesses as to what her bill came to?

So glad your mom had great treatment and is doing well.

As to the cost, I will hazard a guess at zero to OMG!

ex techie

[sNIP] There seems to be a heavy allegiance assuming the family was looking for a handout. I don't see evidence of that. I see a family facing an unexpected situation in a foreign country surprised to be essentially booted off without feeling secure. I can't say I blame them for being upset.

I too, without a doubt would have expected more from Disney. As a business owner I would have wanted every passenger on that ship to have left the ship feeling they had the best experience possible. If I were in charge I would certainly have had Pixie Dust by the gallon to entice the family to return for a second cruise and provide them the memories they feel were taken from them. I would have expected gratuities to be removed from my bill and perhaps even a credit if age was the reason they were removed from the trip. [sNIP]

I guess each news station and agency reports things differently, or chose to report only what they want to.

“No one would care if they took us off the ship and we were in complete safety in comparable accommodations and brought home,

Disney said that it has apologized to the family and said that because it was New Year’s Day and a last-minute booking, options were limited. In addition, the cruise line offered to help with the family’s trip insurance claim.

Disney Cruise Line has refused to comment on specifics of why the child was removed, citing reasons of “medical privacy.” But a Disney spokeswoman told FoxNews.com that the child was not removed due to her age but because the on-board doctor felt the child needed medical care at a land-based hospital.

From: https://www.yahoo.com/travel/family-with-infant-kicked-off-disney-cruise-107514872967.html

So, Moak, her husband and their baby, packed up their things to leave expecting Disney would take care of their accommodations that were worthy of the $1,000 nightly rate they paid for the cruise in the Bahamas. That was not the case.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/travel/2015/01/06/family-forced-off-disney-cruise-over-girls-age/21358739/

After they were told to leave, Berg, Moak and her husband Dan packed their bags and disembarked in Nassau. Disney provided them with a family care team member and an agent on the ground who helped book accommodations. But the family claims that they were put up in unsafe” lodging at a “fleabag” hotel that was not on par with their cruise experience.

Disney said that it has apologized to the family and said that because it was New Year's Day and a last minute booking, options were limited. In addition, the cruise line offered to help with the family's trip insurance claim.

But Moak says the cruise line should have handled the situation better. “Her safety is my number one priority, and they were saying her safety was their number one priority, so we should have all been on the same page.”

The family says that they hope that the cruise line will find a way to "make it up to them."

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/01/07/family-forced-to-leave-disney-cruise-over-infants-age/

Berg said they lost time with a family member with cancer. He explained for a company that makes dreams come true, his hope is that the ending of this story can be a happy one.

What really upsets me is my daughter losing this time with her grandmother,” said Berg.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/world/family-speaks-after-forced-off-disney-cruise-out-of-florida

Lots of additional information only now just coming to light or only now being reported.

Or the family are doing even more interviews. Berg especially. (the Grandfather) who seems to be the most vocal from what is reported.

I DEFINITELY think they dropped the ball in not making sure a cot was sent ashore for the baby to sleep in.

But as you say, two sides to every story. And DCL and Disney always keep comments to a minimum level out of respect for the Guest and in case of litigation. Even if it does make them look bad.

We, all of us will never know what actually happened, was offered, promised, told.

ex techie

So glad your mom had great treatment and is doing well.

As to the cost, I will hazard a guess at zero to OMG!

ex techie

Thanks ex-techie. Unfortunately, just was told tonight she will need to have open heart surgery :-(

Okay, so the bill was UNDER $3k, which I thought was really amazing compared to the bills for some of her care on land.

Thanks ex-techie. Unfortunately, just was told tonight she will need to have open heart surgery :-(

Okay, so the bill was UNDER $3k, which I thought was really amazing compared to the bills for some of her care on land.

So sorry to hear that, and I wish your mom all the best for a safe surgery and quick recovery!

All of that treatment for under $3k and from a vendor.

Kudos to GS for supporting you all and stepping up with the grat phone calls and the Doc's for providing great care to your mother.

I hope she gets a settlement soon from one of the insurers and she will have that stress gone.

I wonder what treatment they had in Nassau to diagnose gas in a baby and then charge $1,200 :eek: The mind boggles at the charges!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Medical billing charges never make sense. It's already the Wild West in the US. I can't imagine how it might be in a place like the Bahamas. Foreigner, off a cruise ship known to be expensive, in a medical emergency... cha ching!

That said, I really don't see that this family has much of a leg to stand on with regards to their complaint against Disney. There might have been something Disney could have done to be better, but there's always room for improvement. I don't see how Disney did anything wrong tho and in fact, did more than they needed to which I doubt some other cruise lines would have gone as far as Disney did.

Medical billing charges never make sense. It's already the Wild West in the US. I can't imagine how it might be in a place like the Bahamas. Foreigner, off a cruise ship known to be expensive, in a medical emergency... cha ching!

That said, I really don't see that this family has much of a leg to stand on with regards to their complaint against Disney. There might have been something Disney could have done to be better, but there's always room for improvement. I don't see how Disney did anything wrong tho and in fact, did more than they needed to which I doubt some other cruise lines would have gone as far as Disney did.

I totally agree with both of the above given the information reported.

Medical billing is out of control. Hopefully if it was just a consultation with a pediatrician to be diagnosed as gas, the insurers will dispute the bill with the hospital.

From the way the family have been portrayed by the press, it's Grandpa thats really pissed off, and making most of the press interviews.

ex techie

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3670845.shtml?cat=1

Jenny Moak believes a medical mistake led to the termination of their trip. She took her daughter to the onboard medical staff New Year's Day.

"(Rosie) was spitting up more than normal," Moak said.

Moak claims a pediatrician was not onboard, but a general medicine doctor examined Rosie. A medical services bill from Vanter Cruise Health Services shows Rosie was prescribed Phenergan to calm her nausea. Discharge instructions advised Moak to return to the health center if her daughter's condition worsened.

But the medication seemed to work.

"Rosie was very sleepy, which is a side effect of the drug. She slept for a few hours," Moak said.

That's when another doctor called their suite and asked the family to return to the health center. Moak says they were told Rosie was too young and they could not provide medical care if she really was sick.

Another spokesperson from Disney contacted 5 Eyewitness News late Thursday night and provided an additional statement.

“Disney Cruise Line contracts with a third-party medical provider, and the recommendation to have the patient leave the ship and obtain medical care at a hospital was based solely on the professional opinion of the onboard doctor who evaluated the patient’s symptoms and medical needs,” Rena Langley, Vice President of Public Affairs for Disney Cruise Line, said in the statement.

After leaving the ship, but before flying home, the Moaks went to a hospital in Nassau. Rosie was healthy.

However, Moak learned the medication her daughter was prescribed on the cruise ship comes with a serious health warning.

"My heart stopped," Moak said. It turns out Rosie's heart could have literally stopped.

A health warning from the Food and Drug Administration says "Phenergan should not be used in pediatric patients less than 2 years of age because of the potential for fatal respiratory depression."

Moak does not understand why the medication was ever prescribed.

“I'm not sure how it could happen,” Moak said, adding that the doctor did not give them a prescription bottle of Phenergan, but rather poured it into an unmarked container.

Vanter better get themselves some good lawyers if this is true and not an admin mistake....

ex techie

If the child was given phenergan, that is a problem. Any doctor, regardless of specialty should review the dosing instructions prior to administering to a child and that's a clear restriction for the drug. Assuming the drug was labeled properly, that was a huge mistake.

If that mistake had anything to do with the decision to disembark, then there may be some valid issues. Still not happy with the timing but if what is posted is true, the family at the least has valid concerns.

I think some people picture the medical office on a cruise ship like a walk-in clinic in their hometown when that is not its purpose. The medical staff on the ship are considering not only the patient but the entire ship any time someone presents to office.

I think DCL did all they needed to do for this family. Most people who leave for medical reasons are on their own when they leave the ship from what I've read.

A couple of thoughts on this.

First, I am not sure what the uproar is over having the infant sleep in bed with the parents. Thousands make that choice with their children. It is sometimes referred to as the family bed. Not for me, but I can't see where it is unsafe or unreasonable. (referring to the complaint that there were not adquate accomodations in the hotel in the Bahamas for an infant)

Second thought is, where does any passenger get the idea that if they are disembarked, they are going to be put up in equal accomodations? How is that even possible? You can't compare a cruise ship cabin to anything onshore and you most certainly can't compare the price of your cabin to the price of a room in a hotel. The cabin price includes all entertainment, food and services you receive on the ship. If you broke that down, the room cost might resemble a Motel 6 here in the US.

Finally, if the ships doctor really did prescribe the wrong medication and realized it only after it was given, then it would be prudent for that doctor to disembark the patient. Although I would expect something of greater urgency if that was what really happened. That said, it is not at all uncommon for a doctor to review the file of a patient after initial diagnose and treatment and draw a differnent conclusion. We may never know what conversations took place after the family left, but something did happen that changed the mind of the ships doctor.

At the end of the day, it seems a little communication could have gone a long way. Perhaps the person most upset is the grandfather.

Not sure DCL, or any other line for that matter, could have made this family happy given the circumstances. It isn't a happy type of problem.