2 Day freedom cruise Just back

tm3750

I was on this cruise as well and experienced the same mess! I arrived with my husband at noon and didn't get on board until QUARTER AFTER THREE. It was an absolute disaster. I was surprised no one apologized or offered some sort of compensation for the hassle. When we got on the Windjammer was closed and we could only muster BREAD and an APPLE for lunch because it was closed. Had to wait until dinner to eat. Debarking took us almost an hour as well. I was surprised no announcements were made about anything. The cruise itself was fine and fun, but the traffic on and off was absolutely ridiculous. Unfortunately it was my husbands first experience with RCI (we've done Disney before) and he says he doesn't want to do it again. I've never experienced anything like that and I think because it was only a two day I feel like our time was wasted on the first day with boarding issues. Very sad.

Needless to say, the cruise itself and the Bahamas was fun. Boarding and debarking not so much...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. That's how I felt being robbed of time I planned to spend on board. We also had first-time cruisers on RCCL with us and it was not a very good experience for them.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was on this cruise as well and experienced the same mess! I arrived with my husband at noon and didn't get on board until QUARTER AFTER THREE. It was an absolute disaster. I was surprised no one apologized or offered some sort of compensation for the hassle. When we got on the Windjammer was closed and we could only muster BREAD and an APPLE for lunch because it was closed. Had to wait until dinner to eat. Debarking took us almost an hour as well. I was surprised no announcements were made about anything. The cruise itself was fine and fun, but the traffic on and off was absolutely ridiculous. Unfortunately it was my husbands first experience with RCI (we've done Disney before) and he says he doesn't want to do it again. I've never experienced anything like that and I think because it was only a two day I feel like our time was wasted on the first day with boarding issues. Very sad.

Needless to say, the cruise itself and the Bahamas was fun. Boarding and debarking not so much...

The late return to Port C had a lot to do with the terrible embarkation and then it was compounded by computer issues.

I would read reviews of FR after she returns from Drydock. We have had pretty easy embarkations on her and we have sailed on her about 8-10 times.

I stayed at the Residence Inn prior to this cruise. Just so you all know, they have shuttle times based on the cruise line. The shuttle for RCCL on Sundays isn't until NOON, so if you want to go early you have to book your own transfers! I was not happy as this is not what I was told on the phone. Other than that the hotel was nice

As far as the coupon books/pre-loaded cards not being valid, and no amenities, the Concierge and Loyalty told us that it is only for sailings Three days and longer. I can see why people were upset though, because from what I had heard, most people found out about "no 3 free drinks" after they had ordered their first drink.

I stayed at the Residence Inn prior to this cruise. Just so you all know, they have shuttle times based on the cruise line. The shuttle for RCCL on Sundays isn't until NOON, so if you want to go early you have to book your own transfers! I was not happy as this is not what I was told on the phone. Other than that the hotel was nice

As far as the coupon books/pre-loaded cards not being valid, and no amenities, the Concierge and Loyalty told us that it is only for sailings Three days and longer. I can see why people were upset though, because from what I had heard, most people found out about "no 3 free drinks" after they had ordered their first drink.

Thanks for telling me! I definitely like to go early! Did you wind up taking a cab to the pier? I wonder if the have one of those park and go places at the pier? I wasn't told that either when I called!

I'd be rather upset also if I couldn't get my 3 drink offer! Was the diamond lounge open for free drinks?

Cheryl

Thanks for telling me! I definitely like to go early! Did you wind up taking a cab to the pier? I wonder if the have one of those park and go places at the pier? I wasn't told that either when I called!

I'd be rather upset also if I couldn't get my 3 drink offer! Was the diamond lounge open for free drinks?

Cheryl

Yes, The Diamond lounge was open for cocktails. However the coffee machine was not working.

Yes, The Diamond lounge was open for cocktails. However the coffee machine was not working.

The coffee machine has been broken for a while! There's a whole thread about it!

Hoping they put in a new one!

Cheryl

The coffee machine has been broken for a while! There's a whole thread about it!

Hoping they put in a new one!

Cheryl

I knew it was broken for a while. The DL concierge did give you vouchers for Cafe Promenade if you asked. Edited by FLACRUISER99

Sherri, we're staying at The Residence Inn also! Can't wait to hear your report on that as well!!

Cheryl

Cheryl --we have stayed at the Resdience Inn about 10 times. It's always been good -- nice, clean room and good breakfast.

Last time, they had to give us a handicapped room -- last room left -- as there was a launch at Cape Canaveral with all the rooms being full.

We also got "walked" to another hotel owned by the same guy -- Hampton Inn. We were a little ticked off but the room was free. There was a huge boat race at the time. Our May sailing is that weekend so I will call the manager and ask not to be walked but it won't be that much of a problem if we are.

The Residence Inn owner also owns the Courtyards (we have stayed there and it is fine) and the Days Inn, which a friend and her husband like because it is walking distance to the Cocoa Beach pier for fishing etc.

We always drive to the pier as DH wants his car to be in the garage and ready to go. If you use the shuttle, I would call the hotel and find out how early you can reserve a shuttle spot.

Sherri, we have a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite. I hope they don't walk us out, but if they do, they'll have to put us up in two rooms!

I'm really not concerned about that part, but I do want to be over at the port early! I'll give them another call.

Thanks for you positive remarks on the place!

Cheryl

We were also on this cruise. We were one of the lucky ones, got to port around 10:45 and were on board having our first drink by 11:30. They did let us in the Diamond line so we got on pretty fast. Same way when we got off the ship, we were in our car driving home by 8:30. But I had friends on board who were stuck waiting for over 2 hours.

We loved the ship and had a great time. Was very happy they had the ice skating show and the Once upon a time show. Food was ok, but of course we didn't go hungry. We ate in Johnny Rockets one night instead of dining room. Loved the 70's show. First time on the ship and we enjoyed it.

Sherri, we have a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite. I hope they don't walk us out, but if they do, they'll have to put us up in two rooms!

I'm really not concerned about that part, but I do want to be over at the port early! I'll give them another call.

Thanks for you positive remarks on the place!

Cheryl

Cheryl -- I don't think you would be in danger of being "walked." The weekend that we were walked was a large boat race in Cocoa Beach.

I also worry a little bit that we could be walked in Feb. as that is Daytona weekend. Our cruising buddies got about the last room in Titusville with high prices. However, Cape Canaveral is much further from Daytona.

I've also done mostly Disney before and I have experienced embarkation delays on Disney (and Princess). I don't have issues with having to wait. It's unfortunate that it cut into a two night cruise but things happen. I have issues with the fact that Royal had 3000 people waiting outside in 80+ degree heat with NO water provided. That's the difference we got on Disney and Princess - Disney had the Captain actively handing out bottles of Evian and Princess had staff directing you to their water stand. Royal had no one outside other than someone apologizing for the delay. Royal knew they would be late and didn't bother contacting any of the passengers either - if we had known we wouldn't have arrived at the port so early or we would have brought water and snacks. (FWIW, we arrived around 12.30 and boarded around 2.15ish.) They also both extended their buffet hours and pushed back the muster drill about 45 minutes so everyone had a chance to eat, and Royal didn't.

My SIL ended up in the medical centre with a $500 bill from dehydration and low sugar from being in the heat so long (she is English and isn't used to 80 degree temps ever) and Royal basically said its not their problem.

Other than that, I had a great time and I loved Freedom. It only took us 45 minutes to debark so no issues there.

Edited by holula

I was on this cruise as well! Overall we had an AMAZING time and it was probably in our top 3 cruises. Take away the embarkation issues (we arrived late so it was less of an issue - but still mildly frustrating) and I think RCCL did an awesome job for a 2 day - in fact I wish they did more of them!

I couldn't believe they fit in 70s night, Ice Show, Quest, the main theater show, a headliner comedian and the White Party all on a 2 night! I've been on 3 nights with less entertainment! Service was some of the best I have ever seen on my 20+ cruises on multiple lines. I even tipped in Winjammer - I have NEVER done that before! There was no feeling that it was a "last cruise before the dry dock" except after 2am on the last night when you could see them breaking down things a bit more than normal.

Overall 9/10 and that is just because of the embarkation issues!

Just spouting off here with no real facts. I have to guess Royal has an average profit per passenger per day for this ship and they must have used that to decide to do a 2 day cruise pre- dry dock. I wonder if given all of the unplanned things that happened if they still made some money on this cruise.

This cruise was on the website and available to everyone right? Am I correct the 2 day one at the end of the drydock is for Travel Professionals, or otherwise invited people?

Yes Bill, the cruise at the end of the month is just for invited guests! I believe it's a travel industry type of trade show.

Cheryl

I was told it was for travel professionals and media. However, someone at one point said some high level C and A members were invited. I didn't see that anywhere else, though.