Chankanaab or Paradise Island - family with teens

ShellDil

Cozumel is the port I'm having the hardest time making a decision on what to do. We've been here before, and we've been to Riviera Maya before so we've been in the area. However, last cruise stop in Cozumel we did the Amazing Race, which we loved! And we don't want to head over to the mainland for any excursions - just too long of a trip when I think there is a huge selection of options in Cozumel itself! I'm a big fan of the area, and that's probably why I'm having such a tough time!

My kids are 13 and 15, so younger teens. We'll be on the Allure in just about a month :D So, being that we're on the Allure, we have a port day at Labadee, so I'm not sure that I want another all out beach day. So, I knocked out the beach club places like Mr. Sanchos, which originally was high on my list.

Then I was thinking of one of the Dune Buggy or Jeep island tours with a snorkel stop, but I came across the Jeep trip that takes you to the boat ride over to Paradise Island. I got to thinking that may be a great day! We get the Jeep and the beach. Lunch is included, and there are some of the water toy type inflatables in the water there for the kids. Actually I would love the twister boat over, but I don't see that offered right now. All of the sites are listing it as "not currently offered".

But then...I started reading more and more about Chankanaab...we've done the dolphin encounters before, but never have we done one with a manatee or a seal lion! Of course one of my kids prefers the manatee and one the sea lion and I think we'd probably do both. So, Chankanaab would have both encounters, and snorkeling. Plus everything else.

Factoring in price, I think Chankanaab would be more expensive if we did both encounters, adding in lunch and a taxi there and back. If we did one encounter it would cost less than the Jeep/Paradise Island.

So....I'm looking for some advice for anyone who has been to both. I'm pretty easy to please myself, but you know, as a mom - and the trip planner...you want the day to be "that perfect day"! So, for a husband who pretty much wants to relax, but would go with the flow, and a 13 year old girl, and 15 year old boy...any votes on the best choice?

Oh, and taken with a grain of salt...there have been some not to great reviews of Chankanaab lately on Trip Advisor, so that has me a bit discouraged.

Thanks for any advice!

I can only speak to Chankanaab, we have been there 3 times, the most recent over spring break 2014. Every time we have a perfect day. Have done the dolphin encounter there, snorkeled... I cannot say enough good things about it! If you want to do the animal encounters and have a great place to spend the day, I think you can't go wrong with Chankanaab. Hopefully someone else can speak for your other option!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can only speak to Chankanaab, we have been there 3 times, the most recent over spring break 2014. Every time we have a perfect day. Have done the dolphin encounter there, snorkeled... I cannot say enough good things about it! If you want to do the animal encounters and have a great place to spend the day, I think you can't go wrong with Chankanaab. Hopefully someone else can speak for your other option!

Thank you for your input! I think this is really where we're leaning. It probably gives us the most options in one place. I'd like to pick either the manatees or the sea lions though, since if we do both, it will be a $400 day for the four of us and that's just an expensive day! Dolphin Discovery did offer a slight discount if we book both encounters together, but its still a lot when combined. But hey, how often do you get a chance for a day where you get to do this type of thing? ;)

Yep sometimes you get what you pay for and with the animal experiences it's pretty priceless :) have fun whatever you decide! If you end up at Chankanaab don't miss the snorkeling and the tequila tasting there is fun too :) so much to do there I don't think you will be disappointed!

Cozumel is the port I'm having the hardest time making a decision on what to do. We've been here before, and we've been to Riviera Maya before so we've been in the area. However, last cruise stop in Cozumel we did the Amazing Race, which we loved! And we don't want to head over to the mainland for any excursions - just too long of a trip when I think there is a huge selection of options in Cozumel itself! I'm a big fan of the area, and that's probably why I'm having such a tough time!

My kids are 13 and 15, so younger teens. We'll be on the Allure in just about a month :D So, being that we're on the Allure, we have a port day at Labadee, so I'm not sure that I want another all out beach day. So, I knocked out the beach club places like Mr. Sanchos, which originally was high on my list.

Then I was thinking of one of the Dune Buggy or Jeep island tours with a snorkel stop, but I came across the Jeep trip that takes you to the boat ride over to Paradise Island. I got to thinking that may be a great day! We get the Jeep and the beach. Lunch is included, and there are some of the water toy type inflatables in the water there for the kids. Actually I would love the twister boat over, but I don't see that offered right now. All of the sites are listing it as "not currently offered".

But then...I started reading more and more about Chankanaab...we've done the dolphin encounters before, but never have we done one with a manatee or a seal lion! Of course one of my kids prefers the manatee and one the sea lion and I think we'd probably do both. So, Chankanaab would have both encounters, and snorkeling. Plus everything else.

Factoring in price, I think Chankanaab would be more expensive if we did both encounters, adding in lunch and a taxi there and back. If we did one encounter it would cost less than the Jeep/Paradise Island.

So....I'm looking for some advice for anyone who has been to both. I'm pretty easy to please myself, but you know, as a mom - and the trip planner...you want the day to be "that perfect day"! So, for a husband who pretty much wants to relax, but would go with the flow, and a 13 year old girl, and 15 year old boy...any votes on the best choice?

Oh, and taken with a grain of salt...there have been some not to great reviews of Chankanaab lately on Trip Advisor, so that has me a bit discouraged.

Thanks for any advice!

We just went to Chankanaab two weeks ago and in two weeks we will be back again.

I have been to Cozumel many times in the past and I have to say this is my all time favorite to visit.

We bring a picnic lunch from the cruise ship buffet or room service in our picnic back pack and zip lock bags half full of ice to keep every thing chilled and drinking water.

We also bring our own snorkeling gear.

I have to say this has amazing beaches, plenty of nice beach chairs with umbrellas, great place to relax, and you can use their equipment . the best coral reef snorkeling with sites of hundreds of tropical fish off the pier. Be sure to bring your camera and google- Cozumel coral reef fish creatures to see a chart with all the different fish you can see.

I love this place and for only $19 a day per person after coupon

We did dolphin swim the first time but wasn't impressed as we have done dolphin cove in Orlando.

Either way you will have a blast

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have not been to Paradise Island in 3 yrs but it was clean and great with plenty of hammocks and good food. Took speedboat, not twister. Manatee swim at Chankanaab is awesome. Did it last December. Water was cool but depends on weather. Swimming with the giant mother and her smaller calf was an experience. You can swim around with them if you dare, which I did. And you feed them. Quite an experience since they are so much larger and slower than dolphins.

Hello,

I've been to Coz a few times but never tried Chankanaab, we've always gone to Paradise Beach. Does anyone know how much taxi would be from Punta Langosta pier? We won't be there until April. We have 10 people in our group so would need a van taxi. Any help is appreciated!

$19 each with coupon? That's great! Is that something that is still available and/or available to everyone? I'd love to pay $19 instead of $55 per person like some of the other excursions.

You are comparing oranges to mangos! :rolleyes:

There is a $19 admission fee with coupon ($2 savings off the walk up rate) widely available on-line and the poster described bringing his own drinks and food (something I am not sure is appreciated/legal) to the beach instead of buying drinks and food from the beach bar/vendor. Taxi to Chank will run about $11-12 each way.

The $55 per person you are comparing this to is likely the all-inclusive at Mr. Sanchos - all food and drinks. You could save the $55 and go to the pay-as-you-go side of Mr. Sanchos and enjoy the same beach for only the cost of whatever food/drinks you order. Taxi to Mr. Sanchos will run about $16-17 each way.

$19 each with coupon? That's great! Is that something that is still available and/or available to everyone? I'd love to pay $19 instead of $55 per person like some of the other excursions.

Keep in mind the $19 gets you into Chankanaab: beach, snorkling, some other stuff. Manatees and Dolphins are extra. Manatees is $40 extra. I want to do that when I go on Feb 16.

• 1 month later...

I have been to Chankanaab twice and it's PASSION island (not to be confused with Paradise beach...which is located up and down the coast there with the other places like Mr Sanchos) and I have to say that Chankanaab is still and has been my favorite place so far in Cozumel (and I have been to quite a few of them...as you can see in my signature line.

Chankanaab has awesome snorkeling and so much more there to do. They have the self guided tour to the replica mayan site, a beautiful lagoon with huge iguanas walking around, free sea lion show, then the swims with the sea lions, manatees and dolphins. Since we were there they have also put in a small ziplining feature, an alligator habitat you walk "over" on a bridge and some type of "human gerbil" balls that roll down.

The place is huge and you also have to remember, this is not "just a beach" it's a National Park, so it's beautiful and well kept.

With the swims, also keep several things in mind. If you watch the site closely, they run a lot of specials all the time...buy 1 get 1 for $1. Take advantage of this and save a lot of $$.

Also the times we have been and swam with the dolphins, they also included the swim with the manatees for free!

Also, if you pay for the swims, then your admission to the park is included with that price, so you won't have to pay the $21/$19 on top of that price.

I have 2 reviews with pictures located in my signature line if you are interested. :)

I have been to Chankanaab twice and it's PASSION island (not to be confused with Paradise beach...which is located up and down the coast there with the other places like Mr Sanchos) and I have to say that Chankanaab is still and has been my favorite place so far in Cozumel (and I have been to quite a few of them...as you can see in my signature line.

Chankanaab has awesome snorkeling and so much more there to do. They have the self guided tour to the replica mayan site, a beautiful lagoon with huge iguanas walking around, free sea lion show, then the swims with the sea lions, manatees and dolphins. Since we were there they have also put in a small ziplining feature, an alligator habitat you walk "over" on a bridge and some type of "human gerbil" balls that roll down.

The place is huge and you also have to remember, this is not "just a beach" it's a National Park, so it's beautiful and well kept.

With the swims, also keep several things in mind. If you watch the site closely, they run a lot of specials all the time...buy 1 get 1 for $1. Take advantage of this and save a lot of $$.

Also the times we have been and swam with the dolphins, they also included the swim with the manatees for free!

Also, if you pay for the swims, then your admission to the park is included with that price, so you won't have to pay the $21/$19 on top of that price.

I have 2 reviews with pictures located in my signature line if you are interested. :)

Thank you - I did end up reading your reviews before we left, and we ended up going to Chankanaab. We cruised in February and I'm just about to start my review! As soon as I do, I'll add it to my signature for anyone who's interested. There will be a lot of details about our day at Chankanaab! I think we made a great decision, we had an amazing day! Thanks for taking the time to reply and thank you for your fantastic reviews. They really helped out!

Thank you - I did end up reading your reviews before we left, and we ended up going to Chankanaab. We cruised in February and I'm just about to start my review! As soon as I do, I'll add it to my signature for anyone who's interested. There will be a lot of details about our day at Chankanaab! I think we made a great decision, we had an amazing day! Thanks for taking the time to reply and thank you for your fantastic reviews. They really helped out!

Glad to hear that you had a great day.

If you could...could you please come back to this thread and post a link to your review to read? It's easier than trying to remember a name and "maybe" coming across it in a thread/review. :) I would love to read it and see how much Chankanaab has changed since we were there.

If you could...could you please come back to this thread and post a link to your review to read? It's easier than trying to remember a name and "maybe" coming across it in a thread/review. :) I would love to read it and see how much Chankanaab has changed since we were there.

I just started the review, so it will be a bit until I get to our Cozumel day, but for those who want to follow along, here is the link:

Allure Review, Western Caribbean 2/8/15 - including Chankanaab

And it's also linked in my signature.

When I get to Chankanaab, I'll come back and repost this if it needs to be bumped up!

Shelley

• 2 weeks later...

If you watch the site closely, they run a lot of specials all the time...buy 1 get 1 for $1. Take advantage of this and save a lot of $$.

mitsugirly, which site are you looking at? Is it this one? http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm I have been going to it for a couple of months and haven't found any specials. Is there another site? In fact, this site doesn't give much info at all... so I am thinking it is the wrong site. If it gets deleted, it is the Cozumel parks dot com site.

• 1 month later...

For those interested, I'm just now starting the part of my review that talks about our day in Chankanaab. We loved it there, and did the manatee and sea lion encounter and some snorkeling as well.

Review of the Allure of the Seas, Chankanaab Day - day 6, Feb 2015

If you have any questions, let me know!