Paper Luggage Tags

Meena

This will be our first Princess cruise, although we have done over 20 Celebrity cruises in past years. We printed our luggage tags when we did the boarding passes and since they are paper, my question is . . . how in the heck do they stay on and not get ripped to shreds. The instructions say to fold over and staple on, but still with the massive amount of luggage going onboard, and me being a skeptic, it seems like someone's tags will get ripped. Please . . . any suggestions!!

Here's what we do.

I print the tags and fold the two sides in and I end up with the long tag. I then place clear plastic package tape on the tags, fold in half and punch a hole on the ends. We attach them to our luggage with zip ties. Never had one ever come off. Some people get theirs laminated, but that isn't necessary the packing tape does a fine enough job.

Edited by elliair

We put clear packing tape on the tags before cutting them out - then punch a hole and use zip ties to close it over the luggage handle at the hotel before heading to the docks. Virtually indestructible!

We do this too but instead of zip ties I have a plastic leash (like a heavy duty rubber band) that I use. Super easy.

Once we had a bag delivered to our room without a tag (back when I was still stapling). I'm sure if a bag is missing a tag they just check your name on the luggage. No worries.

I used the plastic tag too, in the beginning but you have to remove the printed tag from them when the cruise is over and then you have to keep them from getting lost between cruises.

For the last two cruises we have done the fold them over and staple them in the hotel prior to leaving fof the ship and have had no problems. I bought a mini stapler at and office supply place for a couple of bucks and keep in in my carry on so I never have to worry about a stapler.

Re comments above: no cutting. You are not supposed to cut anything on the tags. I used to put clear packing tape on the printed center, (mainly to protect from potential rain) fold as instructed, and staple them on. Never a problem. On board the Ruby, I bought the reusable sleeves for the tags, which makes it even easier: simply fold and insert.

Can I have Princess print them for me upon check in? I would assume some people show up without the preprinted luggage tags.

Do they have heavy paper, staples, and tape at the check in desk? We will sail from Houston/Bayport cruise terminal.

And I thought I was being creative using the packing tape- looks like lots of fellow cruisers had the same idea. I've never had trouble with them. But just in case, I always put a full size piece of paper with travel and home contact info on top of my clothes before I shut each suitcase. I've been on the unfortunate end of not getting a bag back at the end of a cruise. It can't get torn off or go missing if it's inside the bag.

As an experiment, I put the Princess luggage tags on before my flight last summer to San Francisco and they stayed on the bags all the way to the ship. Once folded, they really are quite sturdy.

I agree! I never noticed or maybe never looked like I did this past Princess cruise at how many people laminated their tags. We never have, and they have always stood up to the task. :)

Can I have Princess print them for me upon check in? I would assume some people show up without the preprinted luggage tags.

Do they have heavy paper, staples, and tape at the check in desk? We will sail from Houston/Bayport cruise terminal.

It is the porters that would do it for you and if you do that be prepared to tip them extra for their efforts. :D

It is the porters that would do it for you and if you do that be prepared to tip them extra for their efforts. :D

Surprised that Princess gives porters who work for the terminal access to their computers. I do have a printer but I know many people who don't. Princess expects some people to pay to have their luggage tags printed? How chintzy can they be.

Surprised that Princess gives porters who work for the terminal access to their computers. I do have a printer but I know many people who don't. Princess expects some people to pay to have their luggage tags printed? How chintzy can they be.

It was sort of tongue in cheek. My very first Princess cruise we forgot to put our tags on and arrived by taxi. The porters printed and attached them as well as printed a couple for my cases of water. We tipped them extra as we appreciated their effort. They don't charge but really we should have arrived prepared.

Does Princess handle it like other cruise lines? The porters write your cabin number on a tag and attach it to the luggage.

I have over 500 clear plastic luggage tag holders. If anyone wants one, I would be happy to send you some, free of charge. Email me your address and how many you need.

beachtravel at comcast dot net

(they most likely won't go out in the mail until Monday since I work night shift and sleep during the day from now until Saturday night)

We print out two sets of luggage tags, then go to Staples (which is just down the street) and get them laminated. The people in the copy center knew exactly what to do. They will even punch holes and give you straps to attach the luggage tags to your suitcase handle. Less than <$2 total.

SAS