Cruise transfers San Diego to Ensenada

I'm traveling to Hawaii from Ensenada and RCCL doesn't have transfers available showing for the May 14 sailing. It's now Jan 2015. Any recommendations?

We are local to the area and will also be on that cruise.

In the past, both RCCL and Celebrity have set up a transfer from SAN airport to the ship when using Ensenada. I have chatted with their "greeters" that are at baggage claim and they make it a very simple process. The nicest thing about using their transfer service is that your luggage (properly tagged) is put on the bus and delivered right to the ship/your stateroom.

Expect ship boarding time to be much later than usual. The ship actually arrives in SAN that morning from a canal transit. After offloading they will "deadhead" to ENS and leave from there so they doesn't run afoul of the PVSA. This is a 11:59PM sailing.

I'd just relax & wait until @ March for the transfer to be available.

I don't think they will charge you for the transfers....it should be included in your cruise fare. There are not a lot of alternative options to cross the border.

When they dropped us off in Ensenada after a Hawaii cruise at o'dawn thirty, Royal Caribbean provided the buses to transport us to the San Diego airport. No additional charge.

Crossing the border with a whole bunch of tour buses is quite an experience. :rolleyes: You may be able to drive in since you are entering Mexico. We had to disembark and walk through immigration and re-board the bus(es), which all looked alike, but had our luggage onboard. Just a tip, it still is a good idea to know your bus number, in case you have to get off for any reason. :)

The buses from Ensenada to SAN: http://www.herbytoys.com/images/Serenade2006_HawaiiBuses.jpg

Our bus driver had a great fondness for very loud Frank Sinatra music.:D

Edited by Coralc

We cross the border regularly, although not by bus. The requirement to get off the bus is for the northbound transit (entering the US) is to force everyone to go through immigration (and for the dogs to work their sniffer magic on the luggage/bus). Generally you will not need to get off the bus entering Mexico as there is no real "immigration" check - just a formality check - if any - by MX customs.

Try to schedule the bus transit in daylight if you can. It is an absolutely gorgeous drive down the coast road to Ensinada.

Edited by Beachin2

Is there a cost for the transfers?....I thought I read that some lines (Carnival when they were doing the Hawaii run on the Spirit) include this transfer as part of the cruise fare.
We did a spring 2006 repositioning on the Celebrity Mercury from Ensenada to Alaska to Seattle (where the Captain was then arrested:eek:); we were asked if we wanted to purchase a SAN to Ensenada transfer for $79, or did we want a free transfer? "What's the difference?" "None, you will be on the same bus." I choose free:D Not saying that is what will happen to you, but...
... Generally you will not need to get off the bus entering Mexico as there is no real "immigration" check - just a formality check - if any - by MX customs...
The Mexican North Frontier Zone extends from the border to south of Ensenada. The real Mexican customs and immigration check is when you cross from the Frontier Zone into the rest of Mexico.

Thom

The Mexican North Frontier Zone extends from the border to south of Ensenada. The real Mexican customs and immigration check is when you cross from the Frontier Zone into the rest of Mexico.

Thom

Yes, the enterprise zone does extend to the south side of Ensenada - but there is no customs/immigration facility at all on the road south of the border (except for military checkpoints looking for guns & drugs) all the way to Cabo.

There is an agricultural inspection stop on the border between the States of Baja Norte and Baja Sur though, halfway down the peninsula just north of the town of Guerrero Negro. Mainland Mexico is different than the Baja.

We drive that route at least once a year.

Regardless, has no bearing or impact at all on the transfer question.

If you take the bus in daylight make sure to sit on the passenger's side for the best coastal views.

Beachin: does this mean we could take our 2 bottles of wine across the border?

We were debating whether to buy them in Mexico or take them from San Diego. Worried about the quality of wine that can be purchased in Ensenada. So we'd prefer to take it across. If they do not inspect your carry on bags when you cross, then we will.

Beachin: does this mean we could take our 2 bottles of wine across the border?

We were debating whether to buy them in Mexico or take them from San Diego. Worried about the quality of wine that can be purchased in Ensenada. So we'd prefer to take it across. If they do not inspect your carry on bags when you cross, then we will.

Yes, each adult is allowed to bring 3 liters of liquor (wine or spirits) into MX - which is more than is allowed on the ship BTW.

There are some excellent local wines coming out of the Guadalupe Valley (just northeast of Ensenada) - but I'm not a big wine drinker. You could probably Google the vineyards/brands from that area. Two that come to mind are L. A. Cetto and Santo Tomas.

Thanks Beachin...we saw that and were thinking about a wine tour to the valley, looks like we will be able to buy some great wine right in Ensenada!!

Talked with Transportation dept. this morning and was given new info.

See Post #148 on the Legend roll call...passengers will be picked up at San Diego Cruise Terminal Pier B at 2:00 - 3:00pm

At least that was what I was told.

Edited by BecciBoo