Items stolen on disembarkation day

I had my wedding band stolen. :mad:

Reported it. Of course no one ever said anything. No I'm sorries, no offers of sympathy,, nothing.

Filed all my reports. Filed my insurance claims.

After about 2 months total time, I got my check. Check was only for $500 :eek: The ring cost way more than that.

About a month after that, opened my shaving kit,,, found my original wedding band. :o

Lesson

NEVER EVER NEVER report something stolen unless you were held up by gunpoint and it was ripped off your body.

Might have been LOST, might have been MISPLACED, or Yes, it may have been stolen.

To Bigmama

Yes, I did quote you but it was not my intention to call you out. I appreciated the way you handled your experience and wanted to ride your coat tail.

So, did you return the $500??

Last year, on Carnival Liberty, we started to unpack and opened the bottom drawer on one of the dressers and the drawer was half full of women's underwear, a bathing suit, coverup and sunglasses.

I contacted the cabin steward and he took the items and said they would contact the previous guest. I don't know if the previous guest was ever contacted but people do leave things in the cabin.

Just last month, in Las Vegas, my sister-in-law found $400, under the mat, in a hotel room safe. She said she turned it in to the front desk.

Yes, employees do steal things but it is very uncommon. The most common is that people misplace items and then find them later on.

Take care,

Mike

We were on the Carnival Dream for 7 days after Christmas. When we were unpacking a couple of days after our home arrival, my wife noticed that her expensive sunglasses, some jewelry, and curling iron were missing. She packed them before we went to breakfast and they were inside our suitcase. That is the only time that they could have been taken from our packed and closed suitcases. So, the only "window" of time they could have gone through our suitcases would have been when we were at breakfast. That leaves the cabin steward in question. From the time time of our disembarkation, the suitcases were always with us. This is our 10th cruise w/Carnival and an additional 5 w/other cruise lines. And, this is a first. Before anyone says something about how an employee would never take a chance in thievery, let me say that a majority of a retail store's loss comes from employee theft. My son was a manager for Best Buy for 10 years and says employees made up for over 70% of items stolen from the company. ?
that's an Odd analogy. Retail store employees are not stealing from their customers, are they?

In any case, to assume a steward did this, when you chose not to vacate your room, and they tend to start propping all the cabin doors to mass clean them, you have certainly jumped to a conclusion without a life jacket.

We always use a cord wrap or zip tie to "lock" our luggage. Colored ones at that. They have to be cut off. If the airline has to cut them off they've always put a note in saying as such. If they are not on our luggage then we know someone has cut them off.

How much did your trip insurance cover?

Debarkation is the busiest day for the crew and they don't have time to search and steal from luggage in cabins. Not to mention the risk is very high. Since the ship is in a US port, wouldn't US laws prevail?

Now TSA I could believe.

How much did your trip insurance cover?

Debarkation is the busiest day for the crew and they don't have time to search and steal from luggage in cabins. Not to mention the risk is very high. Since the ship is in a US port, wouldn't US laws prevail?

Now TSA I could believe.

This would be the best time to steal! Everyone is busy, no time to chat and watch others..many crew members entering and exiting rooms. Pax leaving so no one to confront the culprit or complain to the hotel desk because the crime wouldn't be known until later. Then Carnival can blame TSA or whomever because no one could really pin it on any one group.

I always keep my valuables such as money, passport, jewelries, IPhone etc locked up in the safe until I do my final check out on disembarkation day. Is there a reason you took you jewelries out so early when you didn't have to?

Any time I read posts like this, all I can think is that the person left something behind and wants to blame the crew.

Sure, blame the victim.

What gives this report credibility is that there were no less than two, maybe three reports of thefts on this same ship in the preceding months. Where there's smoke..............

Having multiple people make reports doesnt mean that all or even any of them are valid. People leave things behind, and it is wasier to blame someone else than admit that you lost or left the item. A few years ago while on RC cruise, a bottle of expensive perfume when missing from my cabin. I didnt assume the steward stole it, I assumed I misplaced it or it fell into the trash can etc. I never found it, and I doubt my male room steward wore womens perfume.

On another past cruise I found a LARGE diamond ring in my safe. I immediately took it to guest services, where I was told that the previous occupants had reported it stolen and demanded the steward be fired, on day 2. I bet they still tried to blame the steward even after it was returned.

A lot of the time, I feel the victim is the falsely accused steward.

This would be the best time to steal! Everyone is busy, no time to chat and watch others..many crew members entering and exiting rooms. Pax leaving so no one to confront the culprit or complain to the hotel desk because the crime wouldn't be known until later. Then Carnival can blame TSA or whomever because no one could really pin it on any one group.

The crew have better things to do and many cabins to clean.

Best Buy employees do not know anything like the pressure on cabin stewards on a turnaround day.

As for Carnival, their liability is spelled out in the cruise contract. Maximum of $50 per bag or $100 per cabin. I'm still curious if the OP filed an insurance claim?

The crew have better things to do and many cabins to clean.

Best Buy employees do not know anything like the pressure on cabin stewards on a turnaround day.

As for Carnival, their liability is spelled out in the cruise contract. Maximum of $50 per bag or $100 per cabin. I'm still curious if the OP filed an insurance claim?

I see quite often that liability is rubbish, and to never accept it. You can actually get a lot more. Next time I come across it I have to make a note of the source.

Why on earth would a cabin steward take a curling iron, designer sunglasses that could be a knockoff, and only some of a person's jewelry?

I would bet the OP took out the sunglasses to wear off the ship, forgot the curling iron in the bathroom, and put part of the jewelry in another place in the suitcase.

If a person is going to steal something, he might as well steal something of value.

Edited by Viv0828

Wow, $50 per bag, and $100 per cabin is not much at all!!! It sure is best to keep your bags with you as much as you can!!

Or don't bring so many 'valuables'. :D Seriously you don't need pricey jewelery on a cruise, costume is fine, nobody cares. As for the sunglasses, that is a shame, perhaps keeping them in your purse *which should be not left in the cabin on turn around day* would thwart that problem. :eek:

Luggage should always be locked! This would apply even if you carry your luggage on an off the ship. Why? Because, unless your luggage never leaves your sight, it is the wise thing to do.

Otherwise, anyone, anyone has easy access to your luggage. It only takes a second for items to go missing. You can bet that a thief looks and waits for the perfect opportunity and someone who is in a rush and not really focused on their luggage.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

that's an Odd analogy. Retail store employees are not stealing from their customers, are they?

Sorry, but I have to disagree. They may be stealing from their employer but in the end the customer pays a higher price for items so the company can cover their losses.